Jamy

Differences Between 6285 and 10040

Hello All!!

I've read that there is very small differences between the "Old" Black Seas Barracuda "6285" and the reedition "10040"

But, excepted the non-shooting Cannons, I don't have find exactly what are those differences.

Is everybody own both of them and can tell me what are exactly those differences?

Thank you very much!!!

I own the 10040 and I can confirm that the European version had non-shooting cannons.

The Flintlock rifles also had a different mould, with a different pattern in the handle from the original guns in the late eighties.

Otherwise I believe them to be identical, even the shades of grey had not been changed in those days.

By the way, the title has the wrong number in it, unless you are preparing to discuss the difference between this set

6985-1.jpg

and this one

10040-1.jpg

Something I could go on about all night:

For instance take a look at the little grey car, that's a difference, or the trans yellow windows, that's a diffe... :pir_laugh2:

Thank you for your tip, but I'd already made the comparison on bricklinck and don't have note a lot of changes except common pieces like :

(first line is 6285, second one is 10040)

10 x 3001 Black Brick 2 x 4

12 x 3001 Black Brick 2 x 4

11 x 3024 Black Plate 1 x 1

10 x 3024 Black Plate 1 x 1

8 x 4085b Black Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 2 (thin U clip)

8 x 4085c Black Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 3 (thick U clip)

33 x 4073 Black Plate, Round 1 x 1

32 x 4073 Black Plate, Round 1 x 1

2 x 4738bc01 (Inv) Brown Container, Treasure Chest, Complete Assembly Type 2 without Slots

2 x 4738ac01 (Inv) Brown Container, Treasure Chest, Complete Assembly Type 1 with Slots

12 x 4085b Light Gray Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 2 (thin U clip)

12 x 4085c Light Gray Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 3 (thick U clip)

5 x 4073 Yellow Plate, Round 1 x 1

4 x 4073 Yellow Plate, Round 1 x 1

1 x 4475 Yellow Wedge, Plate 8 x 8 with 4 x 4 Cutout

1 x 6104 Yellow Wedge, Plate 8 x 8 with 3 x 4 Cutout

By the way, the title has the wrong number in it, unless you are preparing to discuss the difference between this set

6985-1.jpg

and this one

10040-1.jpg

Ouch you're right, I will change the title immediatly...

And thank you for your informations!!

And about the sails, are they the same than the 6285's?

edit : I did't found the option for editing the title... :pir-cry_sad:

Edited by Jamy

edit : I did't found the option for editing the title... :pir-cry_sad:

That's because only staff can edit them. :pir-wink:

And as far as differences, I have no idea. I only ever got the new version, so I can't compare. Interesting topic though. :thumbup:

I remember (from peeron I think) that there were some extra basic bricks (2 x 4 and 1 x 3 if I'm correct) in the original BSB, presumably to create one of the alternate models (?). These could be missing from the re-release, just like TLG did not include some of the extra gray arches for alternate models that were in the original Black Falcon's Fortress in the re-release (10039).

The cross-sections of the minifig torsos are also different: the originals had a hollow torso, whilst the re-releases had the X in the middle, like those of today.

The cross-sections of the minifig torsos are also different: the originals had a hollow torso, whilst the re-releases had the X in the middle, like those of today.

... and closed studs for minifig heads were still being used in 1989, although that quickly changed afterward, so maybe in later production runs of 6285 there were hollow studs as well. I have a second-hand 6285 with open and closed studs heads, but that's probably because not all heads were originally from 6285.

The original minifigs also have solid stud heads while the 2002 versions don't.

Mmm... excuse my english, but I don't understand exactly this technical sentence : "solid stud head"

What is it exactly? How are the head in the 10040 version so?

Tahnk you again for your help :)

excuse me, may I know is there any instruction for building the "alternate model" on the back of the lego box?

If no, what's the point of LEGO offering extra brick to build those alternate model in early year? We never know exactly which brick is put on where. :pir-cry_sad:

ps: I always wish lego give us the instruction for those alternate model, include in each set. :pir-cry_sad:

excuse me, may I know is there any instruction for building the "alternate model" on the back of the lego box?

If no, what's the point of LEGO offering extra brick to build those alternate model in early year? We never know exactly which brick is put on where. :pir-cry_sad:

ps: I always wish lego give us the instruction for those alternate model, include in each set. :pir-cry_sad:

In some old sets, particularly technic ones, there were instructions for the alternate models. These were, however, condensed, so many more bricks would be added per set.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were never any alternate build instructions in pirates (apart from the Ideas books) - it was a question of using your ingenuity to come up with something similar to that shown on the back of the box. I guess the extra bricks were so that the models on the back looked cool, whilst still using the bricks contained in the box. Personally I never wanted instructions for the alternate models, and loved trying to build them from a tiny picture - it was a real test of skill.

Old and new...

3626a.gif3626b.gif

Ah ok!!!!

All these pirates have got a hat or something on their head, so I guess that it's not a very fondamentaly visual difference...

Thank you to have light up my lantern SlyOwl:)

By the way... what is the advantage between the old and the new one?

Edited by Jamy

By the way... what is the advantage between the old and the new one?

- A bar can be inserted into the hollow stud, so more useful for building with

- The new head also has a very slightly different shape overall, which is more aesthetically pleasing (some of the old ones were slightly more square)

- The connection is generally better with the new one

- If you choke on it, you can breath through the hole in the hollow stud

- A bar can be inserted into the hollow stud, so more useful for building with

- The new head also has a very slightly different shape overall, which is more aesthetically pleasing (some of the old ones were slightly more square)

- The connection is generally better with the new one

- If you choke on it, you can breath through the hole in the hollow stud

Gotta love LEGO - they aim to please

HI,

just noticed 2 different versions of The Black seas barracuda: 6285 and 10040.

Looks like the main differences in the outer box. any differences in the contents?

Thanks

I have both, they are pretty much identical, except the piece count is different by a few bricks, 896 pieces for 10040, and 865 for the 6285.

The only main differences I can notice by looking at both, is that the 10040 colours are a little newer looking, possibly different plastic density, but barely noticeable. The other difference is that the very brittle parts have been replaced, such as any pieces with clips. Personally I have had many break on me. The older clips are solid hard plastic, and any amount of force on them snaps them. They were all replaced with reinforced ones, and ones made of a plastic rubber mix.

Overall the 10040 is a little more reinforced and tweaked to be better, but nothing beats the original because of the feel and nostalgia!

+ Also the 10040 is part of the "Legends" theme line, which brings back iconic lego sets such as the guarded inn, set; 10000-1.

The legends theme is no longer outputting sets, I believe it was only in the 2000's.

Edited by pcvando

You are exactly right. The Legends line was the hope to bring back retired sets for nostalgic purposes. The odd thing is it wasn't very successful. I'd love to be able to buy some of those older sets new!

I do have the original BSB and have it built on display. It definitely looks its age, but still nice to have.

Thanks for the valuable info.....So the 10040 is indeed the re re of the 6285 with reinforced parts...looks good to me..:).and what attracted me is the age is 9+ in 10040 while in 6285 6-12...were they are the same...:)

looking forward to buy NIB 6285 soon ;)

Regards

I have both, they are pretty much identical, except the piece count is different by a few bricks, 896 pieces for 10040, and 865 for the 6285.

That's still more pieces than I would have expected...I only have 10040; what are the extra bricks used for?

TC

That's still more pieces than I would have expected...I only have 10040; what are the extra bricks used for?

TC

Maybe the extra parts meant for spare or up to you where to put it :)

Since i am going to build the set, no matter whether to get 6285 or 10040 as long as i get new set ;)