Mad Dutchman

The Mad Dutchman, the ship

th_thindexedgif.gif 89d

Ok so I just want to say that first and foremost am a historical entertainer/ reenactor and built my Lego ship after a search for a regular model ship that siuted me failed. I was sitting around pondering how I could get a model I could customize when a reenactor friend of mine came over after a trip to Florida and gave me a Lego block that had my pirate name engraved on it. Then the Lego idea light came on, the wheels began to turn once more and The Mad Dutchman was born! This ship took about 3 months to find, buy and assemble all the pieces I needed, having to stop mid build cause parts weren't in many times. I based this ship loosely on Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge and after working at the Franklin Institute in the exhibit of the Whydah captained by Samuel bellamy played a part to. I tried to be as accurate as possible, Queen Anne's Revenge had 25 to 40 guns and was 103 ft long as far as I've been able to find out, but I don't know if that was her deck or keel length. Please feel free to make any comments about my ship, I just ask you to remember that I tried to build her on the same construction designs as the Skull Eye Schooner and the other origional Lego ships and that is why she isn't as ornate as some, but hey, it's a pirate ship and it doesn't have to be!

The Mad Dutchman

93 foot keel (if a minifig is 6ft tall)

Square rigged Gally design

38 guns, including chasers

31 man crew (for now)

lego_a.jpg

lego_b.jpg

lego_c.jpg

lego_d.jpg

lego_e.jpg

lego_f.jpg

lego_g.jpg

lego_h.jpg

lego_i.jpg

lego_j.jpg

lego_k.jpg

lego_l.jpg

lego_m.jpg

lego_n.jpg

lego_o.jpg

lego_p.jpg

lego_q.jpg

lego_r.jpg

lego_s.jpg

Edited by SlyOwl

I knew dutchmen could fly, but this is something else althogether! :pir_laugh2:

Seriously, though, nice ship! I love the colour scheme, and I would hate to face those broadsides.

Perhaps you should make an Imperial ship to conquer it. :pir-tongue:

THis is a really nice ship. Did you go and see the Queen Anne's Revenge or did you just use photos. I love everydetail about it and think its awsome that you measured out to see how long it is to minifigures :pir_laugh2: .

I knew dutchmen could fly, but this is something else althogether! :pir_laugh2:

Seriously, though, nice ship! I love the colour scheme, and I would hate to face those broadsides.

Perhaps you should make an Imperial ship to conquer it. :pir-tongue:

I really wanted to put all the pics on here, i just couldnt do it in the space given, go to my facebook link, you can see how the Admirals "random ship inspection" went!

Looks good. I also saw the Whydah exhibit here in Chicago. Really cool stuff.

Your ship looks like it could do some damage.

First of all, that name is really quite funny :pir-sweet: Thing I like: The colourscheme (nice red and black), the sailplan (very realistic) and ofcourse the crew. Possible improvements: Try to make a tumblehome and make the great cabin a little less boxy. For the rest you did a great job. Does it also have an interior? I'd like to see the inside of the great cabin :pir-classic:

First of all, that name is really quite funny :pir-sweet: Thing I like: The colourscheme (nice red and black), the sailplan (very realistic) and ofcourse the crew. Possible improvements: Try to make a tumblehome and make the great cabin a little less boxy. For the rest you did a great job. Does it also have an interior? I'd like to see the inside of the great cabin :pir-classic:

I finally figured out how to do pics in the topic! hope you all enjoy.

Edited by Mad Dutchman

UPDATE!!

I havent been on the site in awhile and I have seen some great MOCs so my plan is to overhaul this beast and post the pics as soon as I come back from my trip this week!

UPDATE!!

I havent been on the site in awhile and I have seen some great MOCs so my plan is to overhaul this beast and post the pics as soon as I come back from my trip this week!

Good to know. I like the size of this ship and the massive firepower but to be honest it looks alot like the Blackseas barracude, only bigger.

That's a formidable looking pirate ship. That poor little Imperial Flag Ship doesn't stand a chance! I agree even a small tumblehome would be a wonderful addition. In any event she is a very nice ship.