Sign in to follow this  
NewRight

Bye, Bye BrickBeard

th_thindexedgif.gif 100a

4012702526_f1d254f17d.jpg

4011933995_1662491ff4.jpg

Normally I would use PhotoBucket, but something went wrong with sizing these to fit in the 800x600 limit. Each photo is a link to flickr.

With the seas beginning to calm down and the pirates not knowing when the day will come that they can pillage again they have decided to leave their original captain in a form a mutiny. BrickBeard is left no long in his Captains uniform on a stray beach.

For Pillage the Village II: Calm After the Storm. (Again for those of you who don't read the topic. Small Category...

Also read about it at my blog and on flickr.

Happy not-Pillaging! :pir-skull:

Well done! Fabulously built vignette! I admire the sandy dune, the pirate flag blowing in the tropical wind, and the palm tree! :pir-classic:

I find the water acceptable, but adding extra detail to it would be nice. Like say white plates between the blue water and sand to represent foam, or replace the blue plates with transparent blue plates.

Also, since when did Brickbeard regrow his hand? He should have a hook. Unless, this was before 'ole cap'n Brickbeard lost his hand ....

Edited by Bricknave

Nice vignette, but indeed some details like a krab and different colour-tiles in the sea would give it an extra nice touch. It's a very small MOC so there isn't much else I can say something about. The idea of a mutiny is very funny :pir-classic:

I like this little island. The use of the weed leaves for a palmtree is really nice. The dark tan slopes for wet sand are awesome too. There are some things you could change to improve the creation:

- Ad some random small parts like animals or treasure or something like that.

- The palm tree looks a little bit bald on one side.

That's all.

~Badboy

I really like how the scene looks like its part of a much larger background rather than just a small scene. I can almost see the rest of the beach around him and the Brickbeard's Bounty sailing away. Would they still call it Brickbeard's Bounty or would it be "Mutiny on Brickbeard's BOUNTY"!!! HAHAHA, I couldn't help myself on that one!

Well done and very cool to look at!

-martinsuper

P.S. I don't know why, but I think you need a crab in this scene. I have no logically reason for telling you that except that I think the crab needs to be there somewhere.

Very nice small entry. I like your choice of clothing for Brickbeard to be marooned in and the fact you gave him a pistol. I wonder if he is still there or if he used his shot. I think it would start to look crowded if you try to add much else. What you might do is use some trans blue and green cheese insteed of the flat blue tiles for the water. Since it is a small build you wouldn't need many and it would add something a little more unique to your creation and give the water a little life. Very nice job. I like it a lot.

What you might do is use some trans blue and green cheese insteed of the flat blue tiles for the water.

I have to disagree old man! For once, I just like good old fashion water. I think with small builds you can get away with it just fine! :pir-tongue:

The water here looks just fine to me, especially for such a small MOC. Besides, in good weather, you can hardly notice any ripples along the coastline.

The palm tree being bald on one side is also pretty believable and actually rather realistic, if not particularly attractive - adding a few more leaves might please viewers a lot more, especially with that wonderful technique!

And to add insult to injury... I'd suggest displaying the pirate captain (who's obviously not Brickbeard, as others have pointed out, since he's not missing a leg) in his undergarments... He's left with a ragged shirt, so I don't see a reason why his crew would let him keep his pants either... If you keep the sand-coloured leg base and use regular yellow minifig legs, the result would be absolutely humiliating for the poor ol' captain - if that's what you're going for.

The water here looks just fine to me, especially for such a small MOC. Besides, in good weather, you can hardly notice any ripples along the coastline.

The palm tree being bald on one side is also pretty believable and actually rather realistic, if not particularly attractive - adding a few more leaves might please viewers a lot more, especially with that wonderful technique!

And to add insult to injury... I'd suggest displaying the pirate captain (who's obviously not Brickbeard, as others have pointed out, since he's not missing a leg) in his undergarments... He's left with a ragged shirt, so I don't see a reason why his crew would let him keep his pants either... If you keep the sand-coloured leg base and use regular yellow minifig legs, the result would be absolutely humiliating for the poor ol' captain - if that's what you're going for.

You seem to sum up what everyone has discussed on my little vignette.

I do like the water and have all intentions to leave it as is. I realize some people disagreed over the matter, but I think I can get away with it fine. Additionally there are only two studs or room to do anything, so I don't really think there is much I could achieve in that space.

I would have added a few more palms, but when I tried adding more before I took photos of the mock the palm leaves seemed much to tall for a tree with a very short trunk. I hope you get what I mean by the palm leaves almost taking up a third of the tree.

I do realize that it's not BrickBeard, but the name was so catchy I had to keep it. Lets try to looks past the name on this and focus on the MOC. :pir-tongue: I took a lot of inspiration from the Pirates of the Caribbean film when Jack is supposedly abandoned alone on the island in the sense the pirate I have left only his piratical coat behind and dove in in his pants and undershirt.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions! :jollyroger:

A nice little moc, vibrant and pleasing to the eye, with a nice torso use. Like already said, maybe just put a few white tiles in there for waves. Good luck :pir-classic:

The story makes sense but without sounding rude, it's kind of boring. If it wasn't for the story it would be too plain jane I think. Tee small beach is nice but to me it's just a pirate on a beach with a flag and a tree.

The story makes sense but without sounding rude, it's kind of boring. If it wasn't for the story it would be too plain jane I think. Tee small beach is nice but to me it's just a pirate on a beach with a flag and a tree.

In my vignette's defense I'm going to point out that fact that it is a pirate with a beach, tree, and a flag. He's been marooned on the island. Additionally with 8x8 restrictions you can't expect an entire island in minifig scale. :pir-classic:

In my vignette's defense I'm going to point out that fact that it is a pirate with a beach, tree, and a flag. He's been marooned on the island. Additionally with 8x8 restrictions you can't expect an entire island in minifig scale. :pir-classic:

Well, I really don't want to offend in any way, but when looking at some of the other 8x8 entrys ("Tell me a story Grandpa" for example) they seem so much more sophisticated in both their build and background story.

I don't think your entry is bad, but it does seem a little boring; though i must note that when I tried to find a motive for a entry, I found out how hard it really is to come up with something original.

For a island, a larger scale might have also been better I guess. Possibly with spectacular landscaping techniques for the water and the beach (thinking on Derfel Cardarn's MOCs)

Just my thoughts :wink:

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

Poor BrickBeard :pir-cry_sad: He must have heard the rumors of Jack Sparrow coming to take over as the new Pirate Captain for the Pirates Theme. Nice lil moc. :) I gotta get me a Brickbeard before he's gone off for good. I think I'll get the set with him in his ship since I'll be getting the good guys ship when it comes out i.e. The Imperial Flagship.

BTW I like his name hahaha "BrickBeard" lol Lego always using those...umm...what's the word in this situation, some sort of pun or fun naming...

Edited by Grimmy