BrickPerfection

WIP: Achille and Guerrière, French Frigates of 28 guns

Cant even say how impressive the ship looks at the moment :thumbup: The jib,(As Croissant already said) Is a bit large indeed, but i dont complain about that. Overall this is just something wich i cannot dress in words. I wish you good luck for these two beatys and keep us updated

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

You may think the pictures didn't do it justice in the competition.. However I had a careful look through the list and when I came across the Achille, wow! I had somehow missed your WIP shots before but I think it is probably my personal favourite LEGO ship even in its unfinished state.

About the voting that currently goes on in the pirate forum: I am quite displeased how my ships are presented there (unfinished, bad pictures) and thrown against fully rigged, perfectly photographed and well-known creations like Bonaparte's and CGH's galleon. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't go so far to say this was done on purpose to make Bonaparte's creation score better, however the expected mediocre result certainly won't do justice to the Achille that we are going to see in a little while.

Since a fair competition of any kind requires some sort of entry qualification (eg.finished!) Achille an Guerrière should not be in the voting!.

Since this most likely is a misunderstanding I really don't want to be too harsh, but you have to understand my point. :pir-blush:

Kind regards

Perfectionist

As we discussed via PM, we'll take the ship out of the final voting. Sorry, it went in the voting thread even though it was unfinished. The idea behind was that even when unfinished it would stand a chance to get a good number of votes. We'll do another voting for best ship in the future so the ship will get it's chance to be measured with all the other ships. There's no conspiracy against your ship to make another one look better. I'm sorry if you feel unhappy about the way the ship went into the voting thread, it was not my intention to have this effect on you. To make up for this I'll make sure your ship gets a nice frontpage post (I have a feeling it would have made the Eurobricks frontpage in any case :pir-wink: ).

Now, onto the ship, I think it will score very high when the final pics are available!

It's great to see that you are still working on them!

My nitpick would be that the sails look a bit boring to me, the lines aren't visible in the pictures and theey are a bit too straight and neat for my likings. (I never iron:-)

Good luck on the grand finale, I can't wait to see the final result!

Your work is absolutely amazing. My only critique would be that I would have liked to see the use of the proper nautical knots rather than glue. But nevertheless this is an amazing piece.

It's great to see that you are still working on them!

My nitpick would be that the sails look a bit boring to me, the lines aren't visible in the pictures and theey are a bit too straight and neat for my likings. (I never iron:-)

Good luck on the grand finale, I can't wait to see the final result!

Indeed I have followed your advice and all sails have been treated accordingly:

dscn1348.jpg

Thanks again for that hint! I would also like to thank Captain Blackmoor, Admiral Croissant and Admiral Bejaune for their valuable advice and assistance on MSN.

Meanwhile the ship has - while being delayed a bit by this step - been finished and pictures will be posted somewhere the next days. :pir-wink:

Keep an eye on the horizon!

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

Guerriere is also finished now, I only need to take decent pictures, resize and possibly edit them, upload them etc...

Meanwhile I'd like to give you a sneak peek of the new sails I'll introduce with Guerriere and which will also be added to Achille around Christmas time!

img_0863.jpg

I haven't seen anyone else doing the ropes, so I think it might be worth showing.

Finishing Guerriere wasn't easy because she is also smaller than Achille (5mids) and uses some very similar techniques, yet every new ship should be a step forward. That's why I made those new sails. :pir-grin:

I haven't seen anyone else doing the ropes, so I think it might be worth showing.

I thought about that to for my ship, but i thought it was way to much work....but it looks very very nice :thumbup:

How dit you manage to get those horizontal strings of the standing rigging in the masts so tight, i couldn't do that...

Edited by De Sandman

Beautiful! Very realistic :thumbup:

I didn't do those smaller ropes because I thought it would be too much work, but I never thought of using glue.

Do the smaller ropes hold well? In that case I might also give it a try on the Vesta in the future.

Does the back of this sail look similar? Or without the smaller ropes?

Anyway, well done, and I can't wait to see Guerrière!

Really nice done!

One day I'll make a vessel/frigate/ship of the line/... too, but first enjoying the nice pictures in this forum :D

can't wait to see them both with sails and stuff!!!

Edited by DaMaximus

img_0863.jpg

pirates are not my thing (but space pirates are :pir-tongue: ), but that sail is fantastic! From my perspective, in some polyester or neon color, it would be great sail for a sky barge