BrickPerfection

WIP: Achille and Guerrière, French Frigates of 28 guns

Wonderfoul and fantastic! The rigging is perfect, just like on wooden model ships.

It's great that you can remove the entire top deck, and I like the captain's cabin, with the croissant :pir-classic:

One small point of critic though, I think the upper yards are a bit too thick..

That just a small point, the rest of this is amazing. I think this is the best frigate on prefabs so far :thumbup:

Btw, there's a bit of influence on both sides since I used your stern-lamp design on the Vesta :pir-sweet:

EDIT: There was already something scheduled for the frontpage of tomorrow, and I didn't want to look to far into the future, but I'll blog this now :pir-classic:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Edited by Admiral Croissant

The rigging, all the fine detail, the interior,... she is simply stunning! :thumbup:

The only nitpick from me would be the black slope between the galleries and the stern, it looks a bit plain and cut off compared to the rest. I would like a more elaborate solution there, maybe with some small ornaments to combine with the whole better.

Amazing :pir-wub:

This is one of the best (or the best) frigates I've seen. And you even managed to give it an interior :pir-oh:

I agree with the nitpick remark of Captain Green Blue Hair, but for the rest it's perfect!

Even when still WIP, this is worth the Eurobricks frontpage.

Amazing, Simply amazing :pir-wub:

I love the custom canons!

also great use of the knights helmet accesories from the dragon masters sets for decoration on the back of the ship :thumbup:

I like that you've kept the look relatively sober, but at the same time spent so much time on the finishing. However, what sets this frigate really apart from most of the others I have seen, is the beautiful interior. And you even managed to build a storage area below the second deck. Excellent work Perfectionist.

Wow, Perfrectionist... that's all I can say. I absolutely :pir-wub: this frigate!! She's so beautiful, and I can't stop staring at her!! I love that interior! it's really nice to see where you started with the ship, and where you ended up. You need to make another :pir-sweet:

oh, if I may, how much did it cost to make one? 4800 pieces is a lot of pieces. :pir-laugh:

Edited by KingoftheZempk

That is a very pretty ship. I really like the work you have done on the interior and all the extra detailing.

Kind regards,

Teddy

An amazing ship indeed, incredible details. The Captain's Cabin is my favourite part.

Great that this is being blogged already, thanks for sharing Perfectionist :thumbup: !

What a beautiful ship. I love the way that you can ge into the interior. The rigging must have taken forever. I am very impressedpirate_classic.gif .

Tremendous looking ship. The riggings and the deck details really make it a stand out model and I love the figurehead. Great looking all around! :pir-sweet: I'm a fan!

Fantastic ship, perfectionist! I really noticed how much the length adds to this ship. Also, the new stern and captain's cabin are a HUGE improvement over the previous one. Could you tell me how you modified it?

Thanks for all the kind replies. Again, I'm sorry for the faded colour on those photos. This is how the colourscheme really looks:

dscn0595.jpg

Now let me give some answers:

Looks great! The addition of the 6th center section greatly improved her lines IMO. What sort of glue did you use for the ratlines? On my ships I tied each line individually, and needless to say it takes a LONG time. Will the sister ship also be stretched to 6 mid sections?

I used "Repair Extreme" glue from Pattex. I think the brand doesn't really matter, but what is important is that it remains flexible and is hardly visible.

The ratlines alone took me about a week, but of course I didn't spend more than 3-4 hours per day on them.

One of the reasons I stretched Achille to 6 mids is to make her look different from Guerriere which still has only 5 mids. I agree that the additional lenght makes the ship look better from some perspectives, however I feel the lenght/width ratio to be more realistic with 5 mids.

She is fabolous indeed, cant wait to se her finished, We have to be careful when we are taking over those ships at we dont damage them badly. Keep it up

I'm not quite sure what you wanted to say, but I'm pleased you like her.

It's great that you can remove the entire top deck, and I like the captain's cabin, with the croissant :pir-classic:

One small point of critic though, I think the upper yards are a bit too thick..

That just a small point, the rest of this is amazing. I think this is the best frigate on prefabs so far :thumbup:

Btw, there's a bit of influence on both sides since I used your stern-lamp design on the Vesta :pir-sweet:

Indeed I had to smile a bit when placing the croissant. Although it was initially meant to make the ship look more French, it does make me think of your avatar.

You are correct about the yards, but I don't think a lone 3mm tube or bars would be stable enough for the upper ones. So I guess we will have to live with that.

Of course I like to hear you used my lantern design... will there be a update on your fabulous vessel any time soon? I would really like to know how she looks, esspecially the stern. :pir-wink:

The rigging, all the fine detail, the interior,... she is simply stunning! :thumbup:

The only nitpick from me would be the black slope between the galleries and the stern, it looks a bit plain and cut off compared to the rest. I would like a more elaborate solution there, maybe with some small ornaments to combine with the whole better.

I'm glad you like her, but... "a more elaborate solution with soem ornaments"? :pir_wacko: On a 2x3slope piece? I'm sorry, but that sounds completely impossible to me without customization, even though I can understand your point of critic.

it's really nice to see where you started with the ship, and where you ended up. You need to make another :pir-sweet:

oh, if I may, how much did it cost to make one? 4800 pieces is a lot of pieces. :pir-laugh:

I don't really want to know the exact cost, but I'm sure it is roughly 15 cents per piece taking into account the order stats on BL and all the pieces left over. :pir-hmpf:

Fantastic ship, perfectionist! I really noticed how much the length adds to this ship. Also, the new stern and captain's cabin are a HUGE improvement over the previous one. Could you tell me how you modified it?

Essentially, the stern is overhanging the stern prefab by one stud more while the cannon in the captain's cabin has been moved 2 studs in front due to the stretch, which gives 3 additional studs for the interior. Because of the added possibility for stern chsers, the ornaments above the windows had to be redone and squeezed a bit. Still, I think they look even better now. :pir-sweet:

Thanks again for your praises, I'll post some progress pics of Guerriere as soon as she has some more rigging!

You are correct about the yards, but I don't think a lone 3mm tube or bars would be stable enough for the upper ones. So I guess we will have to live with that.

You could try to put a small piece of iron wire in a tube. But indeed, I can live with it as it is now :pir-classic:

Of course I like to hear you used my lantern design... will there be a update on your fabulous vessel any time soon? I would really like to know how she looks, esspecially the stern. :pir-wink:

I'm working a lot on her lately. Today I will give her the fore-topsail and 1 or 2 jibs.

I'll give an update as soon as it's finished completely which will hopefully be within the next 2-3 weeks (but it could also take 1 or 2 months :pirate_sad2: )

I don't really want to know the exact cost, but I'm sure it is roughly 15 cents per piece taking into account the order stats on BL and all the pieces left over. :pir-hmpf:

oh, ok. That's a good estimate. Sorry if the question wasn't good though.

Dear all,

it has been quite a while, but there is some progress to show:as you can see I finally found the time to get started with the sails. I modeled them with cardboard first so I could get the shape right before I used valuable sailcloth (linen).

dscn1278.jpg

After cutting them out I ironed them...

dscn1286.jpg

...decorated them with a pencil...

dscn1291.jpg

...and started putting them in place by means of sewing.

dscn1297.jpg

The worst part is done:

dscn1305.jpg

All sails have been made; I expect the "Achille" to be finished by the wend of this week. Taking appropriate picture may take some time as well (as you may haved noticed my Nikon P100 tends to turn red into pink under poor lighting :pir-hmpf_bad: )

dscn1311.jpg

About the voting that currently goes on in the pirate forum: I am quite displeased how my ships are presented there (unfinished, bad pictures) and thrown against fully rigged, perfectly photographed and well-known creations like Bonaparte's and CGH's galleon. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't go so far to say this was done on purpose to make Bonaparte's creation score better, however the expected mediocre result certainly won't do justice to the Achille that we are going to see in a little while.

Since a fair competition of any kind requires some sort of entry qualification (eg.finished!) Achille an Guerrière should not be in the voting!.

Since this most likely is a misunderstanding I really don't want to be too harsh, but you have to understand my point. :pir-blush:

Kind regards

Perfectionist

Since a fair competition of any kind requires some sort of entry qualification (eg.finished!) Achille an Guerrière should not be in the voting!.

Agreed. I nominated the ship because I though it was one of the best frigates even though it wasn't finished yet.

But indeed for the voting, when you only see that one picture (and most people don't look further) it doesn't do justice to the ship.

It's not a very big problem though. Because the competition was quite succesvol we will probably do another one in the future.

On to the ship :pir-classic: The rigging just looks perfect to me.

I may have asked it before, but does it also get studding sails? It does have the yards for it and will look extra impressive (a lot of work though).

My only small complaint is that the flying jib seems too large compared to most frigates (and to the other sails).

But perhaps you have evidence or a reason that supports it your way?

Anyway, that's just a small point, and I think most people won't notice. It certainly doesn't look bad.

I won't blog it right now. You said it will probably be finished soon so then you can expect a well-deserved frontpage article :pir-classic:

I may have asked it before, but does it also get studding sails? It does have the yards for it and will look extra impressive (a lot of work though).

Initially I planned to give it studding sails, but I'm not yet sure how to attach them to the yards so they could be removed...

My only small complaint is that the flying jib seems too large compared to most frigates (and to the other sails).

But perhaps you have evidence or a reason that supports it your way?

Agreed, the flying jib is somewhat large. I used evidence from HMS Bellona which has very similar stay sails; however hat is a 74gun ship, not a frigate.