BrickPerfection

WIP: Achille and Guerrière, French Frigates of 28 guns

Its brilliant! But I don't know what it is. Something about it makes it look slightly scruffy. Mabye its just the mix of colours. Blue, Red, Yellow, Black, Brown.

Good going :thumbup:

She's a beautiful ship :pir-blush: - i love the stern and bow is very nice too- and sides of course and everything. I really want to see her ready with sails and all the rigging. :pir_laugh2: And grates are good- i might use that idea thanks :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by Swash Buckler

Now I do have time!

She is a beauty! The fact there is an interior is really impressive, also the ammount of detail you've put in is simply stunning.

That gold cheese slope for the cathead is a piece on my wishlist now, your catheads look very nice this way.

The masts are okay till now, but I don't see a reason why you switch to prefab masts when you get higher. Still, I can't wait to see ropes and sails on her.

Like Joey said something with the coloursheme is bugging me. Perhaps it is the yellow line on the side which drops in the middle so it doesn't continue the line of the ship.

I also think the blue under the forecastle looks rather colourful compared to the rest, perhaps it's better to leave it black with yellow decorations.

The figurehead is nice and I am a big fan of the tiled, detailed deck. I use studs for my ship preventing the minifigs from falling over when moving the ship.

Till now you have a mighty fine ship in your dockyard, I wish you luck completing her. :pir-sweet:

Keep it up!

The masts are still preliminary; the hull pretty final. I feel some of you might not like the yellow line. I've not really found a more satisfactory solution to this ornamental line (all black looks plain boring).
Mabye its just the mix of colours. Blue, Red, Yellow, Black, Brown.
Like Joey said something with the coloursheme is bugging me.

I changed the ornamental line to red; I think the colourscheme issue is sorted now since it looks much better!

Now let me answer to some comments which have partly been posted before the update:

will you be adding toilets?

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found any space to build them into. :pir-cry_sad:

Here's a top view on the head:

p1040574s.jpg

This is how toilets looked historically (on the HMS Trincomalee, the only napoleonic ship still in its original state):

head.jpg

I think that the stern is the bad point of your ship. I prefered the preliminary design. I wouldn't allow myself to say it is spoiled, but I'm quite shocked, like it was ready said, by the angle oh the cabin that seems very separated of the hull, and as a consequence, too massive and heavy for the stern part of the hull ; it doesn't looks very harmonious.

I don't think so. I don't know much about your skill of MOCing or English, but what you said didn't seem to make sense to me since the preliminary design had exactly the same dimensions as the final one; only the decorations were added and slits closed.

If you look carefully on the bird's eye view of the topdeck, you might notice how harmonic the stern integrates into the overall shape. It is 13 studs wide. At its widest point, the ship measures 14 (the hull parts 12). I think it is all right like that. :pir-classic:

If you meant the slope of the stern, it is rather too less than too much compared to historic designs.

The masts are okay till now, but I don't see a reason why you switch to prefab masts when you get higher.

The masts are still preliminary. I've not yet found a solution that does'nt use any prefab. mast pieces, but I'm working on it now.

I also think the blue under the forecastle looks rather colourful compared to the rest, perhaps it's better to leave it black with yellow decorations.

I think the colourscheme suffered rather from the yellow line not really fitting to the red stripe on the gunports, which has been fixed. I quite like the blue colour at the bow and don't plan to change it.

Best Regards

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

This is probably the best pre-fab hull ship I have ever seen. You certainly live up to your name. This ship truly is "perfect". I think the lines flow very nicely. I look forward to seeing her with rigging. Keep up the good work!

- Swab

Now thats better! Its good to have the railings/ornamental line the same colour as the broadsides.

I don't think so. I don't know much about your skill of MOCing or English, but what you said didn't seem to make sense to me since the preliminary design had exactly the same dimensions as the final one; only the decorations were added and slits closed.

If you look carefully on the bird's eye view of the topdeck, you might notice how harmonic the stern integrates into the overall shape. It is 13 studs wide. At its widest point, the ship measures 14 (the hull parts 12). I think it is all right like that.

If you meant the slope of the stern, it is rather too less than too much compared to historic designs.

My skills are quite limited, if not I would have been on the forum for a longer time :pir-hmpf_bad: , and I make some mistakes while typing, I just have to apologize . I just thought strange the way the cabin emerges from the hull on your last photo for exemple, but it is true that it integrates the shape from other points of view, and I had the impression that it is more prominent with bricks than in reality. Concerning the hull, I completely agree with the use of the original lego hulls, that's why I appreciate very much. Well, I hope you won't bear me a grudge, warmly :pir-classic:

Edited by Ingmar

I think that you color scheme is awsome except that the yellow totally clashes with the red and black. I would seriously consider using gold in place of the yellow windows and I would use red in place of the yellow decorations on the windows. Your design is out of this world awsome and I am definatly learning a lot of techniques from you by just looking at your pictures. Really good work, I can't wait to see the finnished ship with all of the sails and rigging. :pir-classic:

Edited by bengun

:pir-oh3: When I first looked at this I was like WOW! Now I look at it I'm like, OH MY GOD HOW ON EARTH DID HE MANAGE THAT???! :pir-blush:

I'll make pirate ships but none as good as this and others I've seen.

I really like how this is evolving.

Your grates look wonderful so does the nicely tiled deck and changing the yellow stripe for a red one is a big improvement! :thumbup:

Is there a reason why you made black parts in your headrails? I think they might look nicer in all yellow.

WOW :pir-oh3: . I am in awe of your ship. I think that it is great and only find fault in the masts but like you said, they are going to change.

My hat off to you sir. :thumbup:

This is excellent work and looks set to be another awesome ship. I love how you've done the stern, expecially the lights made with clear cheese wedges. Looks great all round and nicely detailed throughout. You are another great ship building talent sir!

Hey there, I'm back! Sorry I didn't post for so long, but I had some troubles that kept me from building. In addition i moved my Legos down in a garage since they simply took too much space in my room and well it's a bit cold there in the winter :pir-sceptic:

I'm also sorry I missed the Community build, well I guess I'll build a shipyard someday anyway...

The progress on this pics is from December, i haven't worked on the frigates since then. Basically the Lego part is finished, I'm just having trouble with the rigging: I dont like the colour of the string I bought and I CGH didn't just want to use the CGH standard method but try something different, besides i used different parts to tie the ropes on. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Ok, so here they are; the headrails have been reworked and look way better now imo:

p1040793.jpg

A view from the side reveals that the red line runs straight now which I think looks better:

p1040795.jpg

The two sterns; nameplates are still missing, I'll add them to the black spots as soon as I have the rigging done:

p1040799.jpg

The rowboats are optional, I just put them on the Achille on a plate to see what they look like:

p1040804.jpg

The Guerrière's figurehead fitting to the white ornaments:

p1040807.jpg

And the figurehead of the Achille:

p1040810.jpg

Another shot of the Guerrière's stern:

p1040813.jpg

Actually I should be learning for my final school exams in about 2 weeks, so I don't have time for building until May.

Edited by Perfectionist

Wow, two truly beautiful ships, they are coming along well indeed! I can't wait to see them completely rigged :pir_laugh2:

Wow, two hole ships and both almost completed, I'm amazed. Plus Superbe in the making! What a great addition to the Bluecoat fleet!

This makes me wanna work on my ship more, much more. Keep it up. :thumbup:

They are looking great! I love the arched windows on the white stern. Very nice touch! Does the other ship have an interior like the Achille?

They look great :thumbup:

I really like your headrails and figureheads. The tiled decks are also awesome.

One thing is that I would make the front of the lowest crow's nests round on the front.

For the rigging you could take a look at my Vesta, which is quite different from most riggings.

Good luck with it, you're doing great so far!

They are both beatys, Do you want to sell one? :pir-grin: Absolutly stunning work mate, i want to see they in action

Captain Becker

They are looking great! I love the arched windows on the white stern. Very nice touch! Does the other ship have an interior like the Achille?

Yes, of course it does, technically the decorations are the only differences.

They look great :thumbup:

I really like your headrails and figureheads. The tiled decks are also awesome.

One thing is that I would make the front of the lowest crow's nests round on the front.

For the rigging you could take a look at my Vesta, which is quite different from most riggings.

Good luck with it, you're doing great so far!

Yeah, I've seen youre work on that rigging before on Brickshelf and I'm quite impressed!

EDIT: I finally found some nice black string and tried rigging a bit; but I won't have much time the next three weeks:

p1040840.jpg

They are both beatys, Do you want to sell one? :pir-grin: Absolutly stunning work mate, i want to see they in action

The parts alone cost around 400 Euros per ship :pir-skull:

Regards

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

Well, it's very time-consuming. I've already made about 300 knots for just one mast, so good luck :pir-wink:

But it's looking good so far, keep it up!

The rigging so far is looking good. Seems like Black rigging is catching on! Are you going to use Admiral Croissants' way of rigging or the CGH...... Or the Perfectionist way?

-Amiral Bejaune

It would be a shame to destroy those lovely ships, And since I have had no quarrel with you Admiral, A truce? :pir_laugh2:

It would be a shame to destroy those lovely ships, And since I have had no quarrel with you Admiral, A truce? :pir_laugh2:

Which Admiral do you speak of?