Tereglith

Retirement Plan

th_thindexedgif.gif 99d

After things calmed down between the navy and the pirates (after their joint defeat of the yellowcoats, as will be detailed in my medium entry description), a couple of the more enterprising crew decided that they ought to go an dig up their captain's forgotten treasure, and live it up! So they got excavation supplies and headed over to the island, thinking that in a couple of hours they would be richer than they ever had been.

Six hours later, and they were still digging (or at least, one of them was)....

4033120810_ebaf2c6111_b.jpg

The pirate who had thought of the whole venture was certainly enjoying himself...

4033120818_754a08cfc3.jpg

The Pirate Who Likes Green Clothes was on his digging shift, down in the pit He's sad that the others seem to have forgotten that their shifts should have started an hour ago.

4033120814_bc5eed01f3_b.jpg

During break times, the pit looked like this. They'd tried digging through the rock, but it' hadn't worked, so they'd just dug down past it. (This picture looks really unnatural, because I accidentally turned the flash on. The orange thing is an Ice Planet 2002 visor, which will soon be the latest addition to the contents of the bucket)

4033172744_e4bb3c7e08.jpg

While excavating, these three have found a number of useless objects in the sand. They toss them in this bucket.

4033120832_b1a9b64eaf.jpg

The Pirate Who Can't Grow a Proper Beard is inspecting such an item right now... he may not be for much longer, though.

4033120822_8622fb8330.jpg

What's with this blasted telescope? Can't see a thing through it! Maybe it'll help if I push this red button..."

Of course, the Pirate Captain was far too crafty to let his crew be able to dig up his "forgotten" treasure, which is still very much on his mind. To get to it, they'd need to have brought the key to the hidden door on the rock...

4033167706_4e53146c75_o.jpg

My third revision. I tried to take some of your advice, and made the entry twice as tall. I also added the third pirate and the palm tree. I think it's a lot better. Hope you like it! (No, I really do, I want a free shipwreck hideout, or at least cannon battle! :pir_laugh2: )

Edited by SlyOwl

Very nice! I love the whole idea of digging up the treasure insteasd of burrying it. :pir-sweet: Good luck on the competition!

A very nice MOC and a great idea. When exactly did those pirates come back to get the treasure?! I think the MOC could use a few adjustments to make it really great. The first is that I would open up the bottom section to make it more visible. Currently you need to be looking directly into the bottom to see whats going on.

The top of your MOC uses snot tactics, but the crate should have a plate under it so that it looks like its on top and not sinking into the sand (to look level). This may be a minor issues, but its the first thing that caught my eye. The look of the chain and the "board" the pirate is standing on looks very realistic and makes me believe the scene.

Reminds me of several of the pirate buried treasure stories that I used to read as a kid.

Nice entry!

-martinsuper

A very nice MOC and a great idea. When exactly did those pirates come back to get the treasure?! I think the MOC could use a few adjustments to make it really great. The first is that I would open up the bottom section to make it more visible. Currently you need to be looking directly into the bottom to see whats going on.

The top of your MOC uses snot tactics, but the crate should have a plate under it so that it looks like its on top and not sinking into the sand (to look level). This may be a minor issues, but its the first thing that caught my eye. The look of the chain and the "board" the pirate is standing on looks very realistic and makes me believe the scene.

I'm guessing they reached the island around 9:00 am, stopped to have a sandwhich break three hours in (Unfortunately for the Pirate Who Likes Green Clothes, his wife had packed him an egg salad sandwhich, which he hates), and right now are digging in the hot 3:00 sun.

When you say open up the bottom, do you mean the "x-ray vision" hole in the side, or the top of the pit hole at the top? Because neither would be that easy to expand...

I'll see if I can scrounge up a few more plates, and maybe put the "useless bucket" at an angle.

Thanks for the feedback!

When you say open up the bottom, do you mean the "x-ray vision" hole in the side, or the top of the pit hole at the top? Because neither would be that easy to expand...

Exactly what I mean. Make it easier to see the bottom action!

-martinsuper

I like the idea, it's sensible for what pirates would do. I also like the subtle bits of humor with a Whip and a Wall-E sort of Robot as some "junk". You should add some other outlandish things there too!

The build is good for the most part. The use of the Lightsaber hilt is a fine substitute and the chain on he pole by the dock to lower the crate is a nice addition. The ground seems way too sooth and flat, and some irregularities with studs would be fine there. It's also funny how how the smooth ground is all a stud higher than where the crate is placed, like martinsuper has stated.

The pictures are a little dark, and the background doesn't get entirely covered, so if you could fix that, I think it could be better. I do like how you cut it out to show the digging, but if you used some sloped to make an irregular tunnel, I think it'd have a more "underground" feel. I like how the backside shows the actual treasure [more humor!].

There's a lot of small entries. @_@

Good luck!

[-TA-]

I really like this idea and stuff. However the the weird chain thing can go it obscures the rest of the moc. Also the treasure chest can be in regular tan. The whole idea of the treasure chest being in rock is a little weird. Other than that nicely done.

Good job Tereglith! I like all the humor in it it actually made me laugh! But... I agree that the underground part should be more exposed. :pir-sceptic: :pir-sceptic:

Thanks for the feedback. I've got the crate up out of it's depression (gave it some prozac :pir-tongue: ), and in doing so added some more variability of the ground level. I'll see if I can find some tan cheese to add a little more.

As for the useless crap the pirates have found, there are quite a few outlandish things already - see if you can find a Batarang and General Greivous' head. Also, the lightsaber hilt IS a light saber hilt, one which they found under ground (presumabely next to said Greivous head). He only thinks it's a telescope. Get the joke now about the red button?

If I can find a 1x1x6 tan brick, I'll definitely make the "x-ray vision" hole a little bigger. I've already widened the hole on the top.

Thanks for all the feedback, be sure to check back this weekend when I'll be posting my revisions.

Tereglith, is that a Wall-E kind of robot they've dug up there? Because it sure as hell looks like one :pir-classic:

Obviously, I'm not too certain about what I'm seeing there, so here's my tip for you - try using the "macro" function of your camera for close-up shots. Or you could just put the camera a few inches away so that your pics don't turn out so blurry. That would really be helpful for the viewers!

I'll refrain from any additional comments since you've presumably already made an updated version which I'm eager to see!

Tereglith, is that a Wall-E kind of robot they've dug up there? Because it sure as hell looks like one :pir-classic:

Obviously, I'm not too certain about what I'm seeing there, so here's my tip for you - try using the "macro" function of your camera for close-up shots. Or you could just put the camera a few inches away so that your pics don't turn out so blurry. That would really be helpful for the viewers!

I'll refrain from any additional comments since you've presumably already made an updated version which I'm eager to see!

It is a Wall*e type robot. There's a few other things in there too. I did have the camera set on macro, but there were a couple of problems - I didn't have the right lights turned on, and my hands were shaking because it was right before lunch :pir_laugh2: As soon as I've got the new version built, I'll take better pictures.

You've removed that side wall to allow viewers to see the lower level... good idea. What I think would really be a great idea though is to follow up on that "red button" notion and the wall-e robotic junk found in the box. I feel that you're not using the creative potential of those ideas to the maximum - why toss them in if they won't play any part whatsoever!?

Other than that, the view is indeed better, but it seems you were still quite hungry while taking the pics :pir_laugh2:

You've removed that side wall to allow viewers to see the lower level... good idea. What I think would really be a great idea though is to follow up on that "red button" notion and the wall-e robotic junk found in the box. I feel that you're not using the creative potential of those ideas to the maximum - why toss them in if they won't play any part whatsoever!?

Other than that, the view is indeed better, but it seems you were still quite hungry while taking the pics :pir_laugh2:

I guess what I'm going for with the junkbox is the idea that the pirates have found all of this stuff which could be amazingly useful if reverse-engineered and studied (General Grievous' head, a magic wand, an exo-force arm), but they don't realize that it's worth anything because they're only in search of shiny stuff.

I really don't know what's up with the camera. It took the pictures for my medium entry fine, but for these it just kept getting all blurry. I deleted quite a few that were even worse than this.

Very good mod so far. I really like that I can see the action below! I like to say that if an MOC is a cutaway, the actual building of it doesn't have to "make sense". Meaning that cutaways don't have to be of sound construction because you are looking through something that needs to be there but isn't.

Good job and nice improvement!

-martinsuper

I guess what I'm going for with the junkbox is the idea that the pirates have found all of this stuff which could be amazingly useful if reverse-engineered and studied (General Grievous' head, a magic wand, an exo-force arm), but they don't realize that it's worth anything because they're only in search of shiny stuff.

Aaa-ha! They could most definitely use a crazy scientist now... But, as we all know, he's off time-travelling with Timmy and the Monkey. Which is actually a good thing, because otherwise we'd be in for yet another episode of Heroes :pir_laugh2:

Good luck in the contest mate!

I agree with TheOtters, this MOC has loads of creative potential and you're not using it fully.

Like, why not make it taller? like 2-3 levels. Then you could add some more pirates, maybe 2 guys drinking rum in the shade while the third is digging. It'd be nice if you could point out he's lower on the food-chain. The chest should be as high up as possible, suggesting, had they started digging 1 step further, they'd found it very soon. Maybe they held the map upside down :pir-blush: .

It's a shame most pics aren't clear, but I like the idea of the pirates working for their retirement. Love the use of the useless objectsin the crate. The only thing I don't like is the straight walls. They look too clean and straight. Would look better if you used tiles, slopes and such. Instead of using those big 1x2x5 wall pieces.

~Badboy

I agree with TheOtters, this MOC has loads of creative potential and you're not using it fully.

Like, why not make it taller? like 2-3 levels. Then you could add some more pirates, maybe 2 guys drinking rum in the shade while the third is digging. It'd be nice if you could point out he's lower on the food-chain. The chest should be as high up as possible, suggesting, had they started digging 1 step further, they'd found it very soon. Maybe they held the map upside down :pir-blush: .

I've taken your suggestion and dredged up a collection of tan bricks that I didn't know I have, and am currently in the middle of make the MOC twice as tall.

It's a shame most pics aren't clear, but I like the idea of the pirates working for their retirement. Love the use of the useless objectsin the crate. The only thing I don't like is the straight walls. They look too clean and straight. Would look better if you used tiles, slopes and such. Instead of using those big 1x2x5 wall pieces.

~Badboy

I'm going to try (once again) to take clear pictures of this entry (they were taken under the exact same conditions as mymedium entry, but the pictures are so much crappier for this one :imperialguard_commander1: ) once I have the modifications finished. I would love to make the walls more sand-like, but I just don't have the mad skillz nor the pieces to make it happen :pir-sad2:

Indeed, it is so much bettah! I must say I enjoyed the addition of the mastermind who's rather busy pouring wine down his throat. That would most definitely have to be me if I were ever to be caught in such a situation :pir_laugh2: The cavern holding the treasure chest is concealed in a very clever way and adding more depth to the actual pithole has worked wonders here. I really feel that the whole MOC looks complete now - great work ;)

Tereglith: You don't have to use only tan bricks. Especially further down, a few sprinkles of brown would add a nice texture. You could also add some stuff they missed, on the outside of the MOC.

Nice work :pir-classic:

I must say this MOC keeps getting better and better. I love the hight this MOC has.

Nicely done, good luck in the competition!

~Badboy