Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Train News

The trains were supposed to be cheaper, because of plastic-only track and a new R/C system. Now they pack more pieces into the sets and the prices are almost the same: US$ 80 for the Passenger Train compared to US$ 89.99 for 4511 and US$ 150 compared to US$ 139.99 for 4512.

More pieces is nice (and makes a lower per-piece price) but is that really a price to start with LEGO trains? Doesn't it contradict the original goal? Or was that the goal from the beginning?

Somehow I'm feeling mocked...

Passenger Train - $80

Cargo Train - $150

Confirmed.

US$80???

then in Australia.. it will be around $100.. great... it's really cheap~~~~~~!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

The trains were supposed to be cheaper, because of plastic-only track and a new R/C system. Now they pack more pieces into the sets and the prices are almost the same: US$ 80 for the Passenger Train compared to US$ 89.99 for 4511 and US$ 150 compared to US$ 139.99 for 4512.

More pieces is nice (and makes a lower per-piece price) but is that really a price to start with LEGO trains? Doesn't it contradict the original goal? Or was that the goal from the beginning?

Somehow I'm feeling mocked...

Me too...I was thinking about buying the passenger train since I never owned a train, but I'm most certainly not paying 100 euros for this (which I suppose wil be the European price...).

I think you guys are missleading, the original concept was to reduce the price when it came to expand your train track.

I am now waiting to see the expansion packs for tracks. If they don't reduce the cost of those, now we're screwed another time, and I am pretty sure this would be bad for TLC reputation...

I think you guys are missleading, the original concept was to reduce the price when it came to expand your train track.

I am now waiting to see the expansion packs for tracks. If they don't reduce the cost of those, now we're screwed another time, and I am pretty sure this would be bad for TLC reputation...

Expansion packs will come as 16-packs: 8 straight and 8 curves. You can see them on the toyfair pics.

On 1000steine.com I read a post by Jan Beyer (can't find it right now) that the price will be the same as now. So, again, more pieces, same price. It's ok, I guess, I would've liked to see 16 straights and 16 curves sold seperately, though, but I guess curves just don't sell so well...

If they keep the same price with plastic only, that won't be ok at all for me because the tracks that combined plastic and metal were obviously much more expensive to create, no need to be an expert to say that. If lego i selling their new tracks for the same price, then I can imagine a big rush on the actual models since the tracks are more realistic and can be used for both system (new/old)

If they keep the same price with plastic only, that won't be ok at all for me because the tracks that combined plastic and metal were obviously much more expensive to create, no need to be an expert to say that. If lego i selling their new tracks for the same price, then I can imagine a big rush on the actual models since the tracks are more realistic and can be used for both system (new/old)

but surely you can still find the old ones?

If they keep the same price with plastic only, that won't be ok at all for me because the tracks that combined plastic and metal were obviously much more expensive to create,

What I meant was that a pack of 16 tracks (8 straights and 8 curves) will cost the same as an 8-pack does now. So you get twice the amount of tracks for the current price. You just have to get both straights and curves in one pack, that's what bothers me most...

Ahhh, now that's different... I think that's interesting, even if I'm more interested into straight tracks, as most of the builders I guess. But maybe this will help us creating wondefull curved tracks in the future :biggrin:

You just have to get both straights and curves in one pack, that's what bothers me most...

They already do something like that with the Lego Roadplates. I'm dissapointed in the prices because I thought Lego sets were suppose to be mostly for kids...but train theme is now rarely cheap...I mean, when has it been the last time Lego released a 9.99 set for the train theme?

Now I'm bitching. Let's see, just in the past 2-3 years:

9 V Track, old grey

9 V Track, new bley

9 V Track, all plastic, new bley

That's three different track if you're looking to have consistency in color and style. I'm tired of Lego changing track when I've got large quantities of the old track. I just assume pay more if that means the same track. Sure, the old track is available in the old grey metal rails in bulk, but how about spending $140 US (or) 170 Euro for a set that you plan to swap the track on. I did the same with Harry Potter's Express very disappointed to receiving bley track. The track is useless with existing collections. Now, another change. Is this value? I think not.

If the train sold for less $, then maybe I could see it. But it's actually more as indicated in a previous message. That's not value at all and doesn't make the non-train collectors or young children (or parents of young children) want to run out and buy $140 starter train set. In fact, Lego partly justifies the price of the Santa Fe and BLSF on licensing costs associated with stickers/rights to these names. Now here's a generic train set with cheaper plastic rails at a very high price (in my opinion). I don't know about this at all, but I may not buy this new line at all (not sure if it's the play train or the hobby train)???

If you look closely at the provided images of the new Cargo Train there is a fair amount of stuff in that set, more then most of the 9v sets, excluding the freight sets(yellow/black, red/grey, red/black, green/grey). For example:

7898_prod.jpg

This shows you what comes in the box. 20 curved, 8 straight, 2 switching:

7898_box_na.jpg

I personally think it's reasonably priced. Just think about it.

>Track: 20 curved, 8 straight, 2 switching.

>RC controler with support to run multible trains on different signals via Infered. Forward and reverse. Built in speaker

>Vehicles and Accesories: Forklift, Flatbedtruck, Car, 3 Plates with cargo(50 gallon drums, 2 enignes, gas cyclinders.

>2 Sloped approach ramps and flaft plates for railcrossing.

>5 Minifigs(4 workers and 1 engineer- Thats what I counted in the image).

>4 Cars(Wagons) 1 center-dumping red hopper car(I think), 1 red refridgerator box car(with the old sliding doors. :'-) ), 1 flatbed car, and 1 crain car with cab on one end.

>1 green electric freight Engine. Uses window piece from red crocidile locomotive and from red/grey freight train. 4 green doors. 2 new buffer piece.

>1 Battery box built into a 32 stud baseplate(correct me if i'm wrong) with Infered pickup and signal decoding.

And the best part. *sweet*

>1 New 9v train motor with technic axles that allow anything that has a technic axle hole to be put on(BB wheels anyone?). The decertive motor clips are missing the center stud to acomindate the axle. It also has slip-action when first started(I want one REALLY BADD!!)

All for a grand total of $150 US. I think it's worth it.

Thank you ILTCO for the images.

By the way these are the new track sets:

7896_box_in.jpg

7895_box_in.jpg

Done reading? Now drool over this(note the new motor and the first new removeable wheels):

7898_flip_02.jpg

great find!

i like the set , especially the blue truck! why can't they produce these small sets for city? :'-)

>RC controler with support to run multible trains on different signals via Infered.

:'-( :'-( :'-( :'-(

And I don't mean the spelling (no offense)...

Wow. That's... amazing. I also agree wth Snef though, the blue truck or the red car could have been great little sets. Oh and are those two track pieces spare?

The truck and the car are okay, but I like the Forklift much better. Especially since it's got the propane(or Natural gas or whatever it is) tank just like the new street sweeper.

Okay how about the Passenger Train? Well heres the images:

7897_box_na.jpg

And the complete set:

7897_prod.jpg

Well first things first.

>Track 4 straight and 16 curved. Thats the oval. I do recall that the High Speed Train only had 16 curved rails. Better bargin.

>Minifigs 3(thats all I see) 1 engineer and 2 Passengers(not even a single female >:-( ).

>Station platform is simple, but it does have a garbage can and 2 green seats.

>RC controler with support to run multible trains on different signals via Inferred. Forward and reverse. Built in speaker.

>Cars(wagons) 2 engines, however the powered engine is longer then the non-powered one. 1 coach car. The cars look fairly simple, but have a fair amount of the peices they do have.

>1 New 9v train motor with technic axles that allow anything that has a technic axle hole to be put on(BB wheels anyone?). The decertive motor clips are missing the center stud to acomindate the axle. It also has slip-action when first started. Note the picture doesn't show the new motor and clips.

There you have it. An overall better bargin then the High Speed Train. By the way the link below is to a gallery of photos a guy took of preproduction models at a convention.

Train Images for convention

Thanks for sharing these images. The Cargo Train is very nice. I love the shorter cars (esp. the box car and tipper). This is a nice set and a I may buy for the engine and rolling stock, but I still don't like the price, esp. considering that the track is all plastic.

I'm not real fond of the passenger train at all. It looks rather "Jack-Stone-Like" with the large pieces. I think the previous green and white passenger train looks better.

Also, I'm still a little surprised that Lego made these sets since they just offered similar passenger and cargo trains. These new sets just seem so much like 4511 and 4512.

The rolling stock of the cargo train looks nice. There's something about the croco that I don't like, though. Just can't put my finger on it. And I agree, there's more in it, but it still doesn't justify the price.

The passenger train is a bit of a disappointment. I like the color scheme since I'm familiar with the ICE trains here in Europe, but it could have been a lot better. And with only one waggon in the middle it looks weird. At least one more is necessary to make it look good, better two.

The accessories (the platform in the ICE set, and the truck, forklift etc. in the cargo set) are very nice, though. Should be city sets...

And I'm still not happy about the RC being infrared. The signal might have wide distribution or something but it's still infrared and if there's something "in the way" you might have trouble running your train(s) smoothly. It'll be interesting to hear/read the first experience reviews. Until then I'll modify my 4511 to look better...

think the ice train looks weird like this. only one coach that is even shorter than the two locs...

yeah... a bit disappointed...

I agree Sne, its a bit disappointing for the reason you have put forward. IT seems that they use the same white train bottom part, BUT the modern look fron of the train engine seems to be made in one part which adds at least 6 studs long. I think its still looks pretty good though.

Also I think it lacks accessories and Mfs. You only have a tiny platform with a light, what seems to be a newspaper stand, a cool black bin, 2 green seats (what happened to yellow ??) and a schedule thingie and only 3 Mfs :'-(

I hope they will sell coach and locs like they did with the older passenger train (the white and green): this modern front would make a great space addition for ships ;-)

*yoda*

And I'm still not happy about the RC being infrared. The signal might have wide distribution or something but it's still infrared and if there's something "in the way" you might have trouble running your train(s) smoothly. It'll be interesting to hear/read the first experience reviews. Until then I'll modify my 4511 to look better...

I 110% agree.

About a year ago, I pondered the idea of getting into Lego trains. I don't have the space for a layout at my apartment, so I put the idea off until I buy a house.

But now, with all these changes, I'm starting to think twice.

Pros:

- Remote control is actually a good idea. Think about it, no more requiring every train to run the same way at the same time...

- Cheaper track

Cons:

- Batteries. Oh GOD how I hate batteries. It is such a freaking pain in the butt; the darned things never last long enough, and replacing them with new ones is a hassle. Rechargables aren't really a great solution, because they usually have lower current, lower running time, and take a long time to recharge anyways. It would have been great if they included some sort of rechargable battery inside the train, where you could simply plug it in to recharge... ie: have one special piece of electrical track, so that when a train is sitting on it, it will charge it.

- Infra Red. Eeegads!! whose brilliant idea was this?! I HATED how the spybotics used IR, their range was crap, and flourescent light interferes with it quite easily!

It's not that hard to make a radio-singal control. To me, IR has absolutely no advantages over radio whatsoever. Heck, ever since I got a Tivo, I can't stand regular IR TV remotes anymore (Tivo is radio controlled). I can't imagine trying to control a train in a complex layout with IR... ugh.

I'm not a train guy (I would be, but I have to limit myself in some areas) but I think this looks very good.

Steve

oh why does the cargo train set have to come with a cargo train. When all i really need is that blue truck *wub* its *sniff * just so *sniff * beautiful

oh and whats up with that passenger train im sorry to say that it looks just a little bit BAD