Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Train News

Found this info on Lugnet this morning re. the new train system:

Jan Beyer has shown us parts of the new train System in Frechen/Germany.

Just some unassortet aspects and informations.

- The track is full plastic as already seen.

- The train base is 32 studs long and contrains IR recievers on both sides and

battery box (included and not removable).

- the train motor has plastic wheels.

- the wheels show spokes on their faxe sides and have technik axle holes.

- the motor has special technic axle holes (nearly with cylindrical bore: so

they have a "slip-under-overload-effect")

- no new track radius is planned (so far) as Jan mentioned

- the engine needs 6 pieces of small standard batteries => still a 9V system

- the control panel (made for lefthanded kids as it seemed to us) has only 4

knobs and a frequency switch.

knob 1: signal horn (in panel)

knob 2: stop

knob 3: pos. accelleration (speed up or break rearwars drive)

knob 4: negative. accelleration (break or speed up backwarts)

The frequency switch allows to choose betweeen 3 frequencies or controls all 3

frequencies at one time. I ask myself, what would happen if any of my three

nephews wanted to own a second train....

Looks like Lego did not go with a rechargable battery, that's disappointing; and the controller can only control one train.

For the entire thread: Lugnet Link

Great so the new train line actually seems like a step back - de-evolution >:( I really liked the idea that the trains might be fitted with rechargeable batteries - now we have to buy batteries - forget them inside the trains and have battery acid all over next time we wish to use our beloved trains. STUPID *sick* *sick*

KimT

You know, I rather would have this system than the old one. Actually you can switch from train 1 to train 3 top give order to your trains while with the old system all the trains had to work at the same time.

People complaining at lugnet is old news, sometimes I just wander if they know how to do something else...

My only complain would be no rechargeable batteries, as you mentioned. But still, I think I'll invest in those new rechargeable 9V batteries packs *satis* All in all i'm quite happy with those, and I'm sure they'll be much more cost effective and hopefully will lead many new people to the lego train hobby

Maybe - it's just so annoying to have three different kinds of train power systems. Most of my old battery parts are filled with acid - I've tried cleaning them and now they work - most of the time :| . I forgot the batteries in them as a kid - my guess is that this will happen again to many new train buyers.

Not that the use of batteries will result in me not buying those sets - of course I'll buy trains - it's LEGO DUH!!

KimT

I still have to get my hands on one of these trains but I sincerely believe that a battery pack "rechargeable" would likely fit with a few small modifications. As soon as I get my hands on one I will attempt to do this and post instructions or offer it as another service to add onto my track modifications.

I the mean time where's the photos??????

Ondrew

track mod info:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=142467

Just use rechargable batteries! Crybabies. :P I could be mistaken in my understanding of course.

This sounds to me almost like a primitive DCC system. Shunting engines anyone?

-Stefan-

- the engine needs 6 pieces of small standard batteries => still a 9V system

As Sastrei already mentioned, to me this reads: 6 x 1.5V AA batteries = 9V. So, use 6 rechargables - where's the problem (except that 6 AAs use up, a whole lot of space, TLC!!!)???

Shunting engines anyone?

Yes, please! ;)

Guest The HMAN

They look great. I probably will just get the passenger one though :)

Thanks for sharing the images. I like the cargo train. Looks like a few different train cars are shown on the box (looks like a red tipper/hopper, and a flat bed for the little red car. I wonder if these are part of the set? Also, I had not seen the large blue truck before. These look great- and it looks like two points are included.

At least there's a second engine with the ICE. I hope they offer the waggon seperately, though, like 10158.

The cargo train looks ok. Although I must say that the accessories look more intriguing at first glance. Then again, I didn't like 4512 the first time I saw it, either. I got to like it the more often I saw it. Maybe it's the same here.

I read somewhere that the track will come in packs of 16 for the same price as the current packs of 8. The amount of track in the sets seems fair considering they're supposed to be starter sets aimed at people not having trains at home yet. There's one point and three curves more in the cargo set IIRC, and 4 straights more in the ICE set. The latter is refreshing since circles are the most boring train layout.

With the rails being entirely plastic the price shouldn't be higher than

Does anybody know if TLC will send the new motor system without train?

and what ICE means exactly? :$

News from Brickjournal #3, Jake's Key Notes, starting at page 88:

In short, the 9V system will stay alive as "Hobby Train System" next to the new "Play Train System", and a Train Factory will start some time this year.

The Brickjournal can be downloaded as pdf from legofan.org.

Phew, lucky us train heads :wink:

I'm a little annoyed at the change, although if R.C. Switch Points and signals can come with the changes, I'm al for it. Love the new train designs though.

Oh yeah, is there anything stopping you from adding an ( Volt motor on to the trains and running them as usual. Much like converting the Hogwarts Express model, just do the same with these trains. Let me know if it's possible

It's made of plastic, it's not fantastic :tongue: I wonder if it can still move without tracks?

-l2k-

And to think, we thought plastic rails would reduce the price. I hope the piece count is a lot higher than the old cargo train. I hate sets over $100 (U.S.).

Passenger Train - $80

Cargo Train - $150

Confirmed.

What a raw deal, that's such a harsh price. I'm so happy I got 4561 at $50, because I wouldn't have paid the amount it was originally valued at. This R.C. stuff, does that mean you can't leave your train on and sit back and look at it, because you have to constantly have your finger on the forward buton on the R.C contoller. Also, will we still be able to regulate the speed, as in, different paces instead of simple forward, backwards.

Actually, looking at this picture.

7898_6.jpg

It looks like an extremelly big set. It has a mobile crane and everything. I take the comments back. Plus, the passenger train is very well priced.

It should be at this price (esp. considering I kept hearing the use of all plastic rails would reduce the price of train sets). Not sure that I see the reduction? Not to complain, but it sounds like another ploy by Lego to reduce quality and save costs in manufacturing. Unfortunately, that cost does not pass to the consumers.

I like this set, but I hate spending this much on ANY set. Trains are my favorite, but I may think twice about buying this set.

It should be at this price (esp. considering I kept hearing the use of all plastic rails would reduce the price of train sets). Not sure that I see the reduction? Not to complain, but it sounds like another ploy by Lego to reduce quality and save costs in manufacturing. Unfortunately, that cost does not pass to the consumers.

I like this set, but I hate spending this much on ANY set. Trains are my favorite, but I may think twice about buying this set.

i agree. 150 dollars in the US is most likely about 170