Sign in to follow this  
helos

MOC: Refrigerator Cars

Very nice work on those! I especially like the refrigeration unit details and the way you formed the roof of each car. The stickers/decals are a nice touch as well to add a bit of realism. Again, wonderful work! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Wow, those are strikingly similar to the real thing. Great job, I like the small train logo you mixed in there :thumbup:

I create the stencils using the Photoshop tools. I tried to make stencils by processing images of the real ones but it is almost impossibile obtaining useful results - the best way I've found is drawing them onto the real image then complete the work filling with colors. I use Photoshop but there are lots of computer programs for the same aim. It is only requiered patience, practice and passion to reach a good skill like in Lego art.

The problems come out when printing the material. I use a good quality photographic ink-jet printer and I generally print on white self-adesive paper or on white or clear decal sheet available in any model shop. You can also find hundreds of printable sheets with various surfaces in art or graphic shops. Following the main inconveniences. The inks for printer are very transparent, they change nuance by ageing and don't grip well on certain surfaces. I can't print white. When using paper the light is not reflected similarly as the Lego surface so the color appears different. The printed surface is delicate and suffers wet and sweat- models must be protected from long light exposure.

Unfortunately I have not found the final solution. I have to try out the best one for each model. The experimentation is in progress and I'm looking for feasible solutions- when I shall have found a good practicable one I'll be pleased to share it. I have no secrets because I'm plenty of ideas and projects but I have very little spare time. Moreover I have to study English by myself-this is very difficult at my age, sorry for mistakes.