Sign in to follow this  
Nate

The Late Night visitor

th_thindexedgif.gif 99b

This is my entry for The Pillage The Village II Small Contest.

Description:

While heading up stairs she hears a knock at the door.

Annoyed and a little scared she gets out the flintlock

from the desk drawer and heads to see who her late night

visitor is..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

I put together I slide show for this entry. You can see it

on Youtube

Brickshelf when public

Thanks to those on how to get the pictures up.

Edited by SlyOwl

I apologize for only one picture but when trying to upload the rest it said they were too large.

I'd appreciate help on how to put all 6 on here.

Just use the "Insert Image" icon when posting or apply the [,img]www.your-image-here.jpg[,/img] tags (without the commas, naturally) :pir_laugh2:

As to your MOC- well!!! Who is the late night visitor!!! Can't wait to see... Only then would I able to provide any feedback, I guess...

Creeeepyyy!!! :pir-skull:

I guess I'll just quote what I said on Flickr. (Double entries Ftw! :pir_laugh2: )

"Almost a little violent which I must say I love about this although I'm not sure if it fits the calming gentle theme. "

I'll also add and say having the gun and angry/determined look on her face almost make me think of her as some wench murderer. I do love your entry though and I really love the photography.

As for posting the photos you can use (image tags) You would do something along the lines of (IMG Tag)flickr link of you image can be found under 'All Sizes' (Its just the URL. The second link listed)(/IMG Tag)

Only remove the tag and replace () with []

I think if you do use flickr then you have to also link back to your photo though.

Whoa, is that it... :pir_bawling: I was expecting a ghost or something... Guess I overlooked the fact that it's a small-sized entry.

I must admit, I was really hoping that this would have some more story/action attached to it. That's not to say it's not a good entry though - the way you've created this one puts you on the razor's edge and keeps you there, not knowing what will happen next, which is worthy of Hitchcock himself... Oh and by the way, I really like the way you've created that door latch... but the room looks kinda empty to me. Perhaps you could add some furniture? A wardrobe would probably look good there...

Whoa, is that it... :pir_bawling: I was expecting a ghost or something... Guess I overlooked the fact that it's a small-sized entry.

I must admit, I was really hoping that this would have some more story/action attached to it. That's not to say it's not a good entry though - the way you've created this one puts you on the razor's edge and keeps you there, not knowing what will happen next, which is worthy of Hitchcock himself... Oh and by the way, I really like the way you've created that door latch... but the room looks kinda empty to me. Perhaps you could add some furniture? A wardrobe would probably look good there...

I'm sorry to dissapoint with who's behind the door. I was going to try and fit another person in but it was getting crowded and was going to be hard to photograph it. And it is rather empty now that you mention it, although it's supposed to be a hallway, but I do like the idea of a wardrobe.. I may take your suggestion and add one in.

I actually like the tension and unknown of it. We're supposed to decide what's behind there.

I'm not sure if it fits the "non-violent time-off" theme of the contest too well though. The interior is nice though. I like the slopes up to the ceiling and the little bench/stand on the wall. The simple light works as well.

I'm not sure why the telescope/candle holder has white on it... I'm guessing the fire was blown off? If so, a white plume of some sortscould have worked well.

I think the horse picture should be removed for something else. Maybe a portrait from Medieval Market Village. Or make the entire thing a side table with trinkets on it. Or maybe even a coat rack.

I'd also like a photo of the exterior.

I'd say that the photos are dark, but for this MOC it really helps set the mood. I really like the minifig; nice use of the queen head [and nice hiding that mole. :pir_laugh2: ]

[-TA-]

Oh my! I saw this on flickr and rushed over to post a comment here. I love the tention this builds. Is it friend or foe at the door! It's nice to see a creation having everything to do with pirates pillaging a village, without actually having pirates pillaging the village in the creation. You can see from the look on the face of the woman, she thinks there are pirates at the door. I love it. The horse thingy on the wall is lovely. The chandelier with the candle on the wall rocks. I really appreciate the use of the new queen's head. There are some minor things you could change:

- I'd change the brown dress into a tan 2x2x2 slope. To make it look like she is a ritch lady who was going to bed, took of her dress and now is wearing her under dress. Or how you may call the dress they wear under their expencive dress.

- I'd change the mechanism for locking the door. I get what you are going for, but it would look cooler if it was a 1x6 brown plate as to suggest she really baricaded the door.

That's all.

Good luck in the competition

~Badboy

I was also expecting a bit more... the idea is certainly a good one, but I would have also included the other side of the door if possible on 8 x 8. Furthermore, I think a scary face (I don't have any specific face in mind) might work better. With this one it looks like she's out to put a bullet in the head of whoever is standing outside.

But as I said: good idea and nice execution (and with that I mean the building and not what's about to happen in this scene :pir_laugh2: ).

This entry is scaring me. :pir_laugh2:

Great choice for the face, and the hair fits good too.

The building looks nice as well, I really like the ceiling. But the lamp could use some more detail though.

Isn't it possible to put a black lever into the candle?

And I don't really understand what those grey tiles on the door are. Is it a lock? Perhaps some tap bricks or 1x1 round plates are better.

Good luck at the contest! :monkey:

I have nothing but posiitive things to say about this:

The building looks great, I like how you've made the floor, and the small bench is a good idea too. I also like the burnt out candle and the ceiling.

The choice of minifig is very well thought of too, and the idea that we don't know who's outside is really great. It gives us the same feeling as we do in horror movies. Sometimes there's nothing dangerous going, and other times the star of the movie (in this case the star of the MOC) better watch out.

I love that idea, and I love how you've managed to put it into LEGO.

You need to to resize the pictures though, as we are only allowed to put pics of 800x600 pixels in the entry thread. If you then want to show us bigger pictures, you have to link to them, like you already did with the other pictures.

Good luck in the competition.

You need to to resize the pictures though, as we are only allowed to put pics of 800x600 pixels in the entry thread. If you then want to show us bigger pictures, you have to link to them, like you already did with the other pictures.

Can they be smaller then 800x600, like 500x405 or do they have to be that size?

Can they be smaller then 800x600, like 500x405 or do they have to be that size?

800x600 or smaller, either orientation.

The "violent" aspect of this MOC is permissible - the implied "violence" may never happen, it's down to the viewer's innterpretation of who is outside of whether this fits. I think it's Girl Guides selling cookies.

it's down to the viewer's interpretation of who is outside of whether this fits. I think it's Girl Guides selling cookies.

:pir-laugh: Or maybe Blackmoor is in the neighborhood causing trouble :pir-tongue:

Edited by Ratshot

Great entry, makes me laugh how well you've captured the minifig! She really does look like she means business! Maybe it really is Blackmoor outside! Love this moc!

... it's down to the viewer's innterpretation of who is outside of whether this fits. I think it's Girl Guides selling cookies.

Actually, it's not the lady that I'm scared about... It's the one at the door who could soon be turning into an innocent (?) victim... :pir_laugh2:

Nate, please don't get me wrong, this MOC is anything BUT disappointing. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I appreciate it.

With small MOCs its hard to give a lot of critic but I think with this one it will be easy.

First off, everything looks like its supposed to be there. The style and dress of the minifig look like they match with the stlye of the building. I look at this MOC and I really believe that it is a scared lady answering the door. I don't think you needed to even explain that, I think the MOC could do that on it's own.

I especially like that you made it look like the minifig is in action. I can envision the lady looking through or opening the door as I look at the scene. It looks like you have taken a picture not of an MOC but instead of a moment in time while someone was doing something. Very well done!

-martinsuper

I added my reply to your vid in youtube. :) I'm new here and new to mocs so my opinion is just coming from a casual observer.

I really liked it. I'm a big fan of Hitcock and I loved the suspense here. I just wish the video and story was longer but I guess it's supposed to be short for this event here. I thought that the lady got kidnapped by a ghost or something. I really love her outfit. I hope the woman isn't trigger happy, her face looks funny but she looks annoyed so I hope it wasn't a girl scout selling cookies at the door lol!

I added my reply to your vid in youtube. :) I'm new here and new to mocs so my opinion is just coming from a casual observer.

I really liked it. I'm a big fan of Hitcock and I loved the suspense here. I just wish the video and story was longer but I guess it's supposed to be short for this event here. I thought that the lady got kidnapped by a ghost or something. I really love her outfit. I hope the woman isn't trigger happy, her face looks funny but she looks annoyed so I hope it wasn't a girl scout selling cookies at the door lol!

Let me just say I was shocked to see my small entry at the top of the MOC list. lol

I'm glad you liked it! That girl scout thing made me laugh