Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

Party at the Governor's House

IMG_3713.jpg

Some guests entertain themselves with a piñata. The pirate captain takes a swing with his pegleg - even if he is taking a peek. Across the room, King Kahuka leads a conga line.

IMG_3605.jpg

Despite the pleasant atmosphere, one pirate commits a villainous deed - he pours rum into the punchbowl!

IMG_3607.jpg

Atop the fortifications, a soldier decides to light up some fireworks. One soldier is entertained enough with his balloon.

IMG_3715.jpg

Everyone is invited!

IMG_3608.jpg

... Well, except of course...

IMG_3601.jpg

Enjoy! :pir-classic:

Edited by SlyOwl

Heh... I like the vivaciousness of this scene. The amount of colour really makes it look alive. I really liked that I could tell what they were doing without reading the commentary - like, I knew that guy was spiking the punch before I read it. It's a good MOC that you can tell what's happening just by looking at it.

My thoughts:

* What if the piñata looked more identifiable, like a colourful parrot...

* What if the back wall had pillars, or maybe more decorations, like candle holders...

* Tiling on the floor?

Um, that's all I can think of. If you could squeeze in another floor, you could make it epic...

Wow! One of the things I like the most about this creation is the mix of old and new pirates, old and new imperial soldiers, islanders and jack stone pirates. The building is well made. As I said before, the figs are great. I love the little joke about the jack stone pirate not being invited to the party. Nice details on the wall with the sword and the map. The flags are very cute!

There are however some minor things I'd change:

- I'm not to fond of the floor. It looks a little bit to grey. It would look better if you were to tile the floor with brown tiles to suggest it being made of wood.

- I believe your pinata could use some work. It's very simple as it is now and I always thought piniatas had animal shapes. Some examples:

http://www.perhapanauts.com/blog/uploaded_...nata-734567.jpg

While googling I also saw a pinata that looked like yours so it's accurate as it is now. But an animal shaped pinata would be cooler in my opinion.

That's all

~Badboy

An absolutely brilliant idea, this one is! I feel it only needs minor improvements in order to become a serious contender in this category :] For example, you could work on the structure / building in the background a bit - adding some lanterns might provide another source of mischief for the pirates :pir_laugh2: I also agree that tiles would look great on those floors and drastically improve the overall look of this MOC. Even if you don't include those suggestions in an updated version though, I feel this one has a huge potential because of the lovely realisation of your idea - and yes, the punchbowl + rum thing was instantly recognizable ;)

Good luck in the contest!

Funny concept and very well executed. Pineata, booze, fireworks, what more does a party need? :pir_laugh2:

Nice entry you've got there, I like all the details. :thumbup:

I think the floor might be improved, making a carpet for example. Now it looks like solid rock, which isn't suitable in a governor's house. :pir-wink:

Furthermore there isn't much to be improved IMO. :pir-sweet:

Good luck at the contest! :shark:

HAHA, that's great. I love all the different scenarios going on in the scene.

I think the guy spiking the munch is the best. Clever use of the hat feather.

I think this is terrific and significantly pleasant MOC, and I think it is possible that this can obtain a place in the PTV 2 winning medium-scale MOC category! I truly admire the building structure, the Minifigure scene itself, and the hilarious joke about the 4 Juniors pirate not being invited for not being a REAL pirate Minifigure.

One thing I would like to see, though, is for a hat feather to be added to the Governor's hat. However, that is just my opinion.

Edited by Bricknave

I love this one! the colors and mix of old and new characters remind me of a classic scene with a new twist. I wouldn't change the piñata, I know the exact one you were going for and you nailed it. The only thing that needs work would be, as others mentioned is the floor. I think a black and white checkered tile or maybe a design would work well. Great job though, this is my favorite so far. :thumbup:

I really like this MOC. First of all the walls and windows are well done, with a nice white background and some yellow accenting.

The photography is okay. It's a little off-center for the first one, and they all could be a little brighter.

I like the crossed swords, although they seem to be uneven in some of the pictures. The party string with the different colors [and the monkey] really add to the party atmosphere.

The various actions going on between Minifigs is great. From the Conga line, pinata, generals discussing to the punch-spiking and dancing pirates [i see a crack on the torso! :pir-cry_sad: ], it really does create the idea of a party. I think there could be a larger pile of things from the pinata, it seems a little empty. If you could tile the floor with some nice colors, I think it could add even more to the party atmosphere. It might not and be too much, but have you tried?

I think a key part that's missing is some lighting from the ceiling, like chandeliers. The punch and punch bowl was excellently done, I really like the gem there, it makes it seem very fancy. :pir-grin:

I like the fireworks at the top as well, although I'm not sure what's going on with the bit of orange that's in the sky. I also think I see some TNT in there. Hilarious. :pir_laugh2:

I think there could be some tiling up top as well, but it definitely needs some yellow like the rest of the walls have. The string with all the flags from different alliances is a really nice touch.

The 4+ Pirate fig was a nice touch, another bit of humor there.

Overall a really nice lively and humorous entry, but with a serious chance to win.

Good luck!

[-TA-]

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I've taken it on board and updated the main post. I'm still not entirely satisfied with the pinata, so feedback regarding that would be much appreaciated. :pir-sweet:

Beauty! A really snazzy tiled floor! The pinata is also really nicely updated, to look like one of those horses.

Oh and nice explaining that orange thing; it really does look like a balloon! The lantern that's being held is really nice [i like the technique for the handle, never thought of that!], and the pirate with the barrel of TNT is nice [although I liked the subtle humour of the hidden TNT a lot more. :P ] I like the added mini battlements, but I still think there could be some yellow there.

The small addition of the lanterns on the side seems unnecessary, but it isn't harming the overall look. Nice addition of hats on the dancers. I still think there could be more "stuff" from the pinata on the floor. The added humour of that crazy pirate next to him really helps with the silliness of this MOC; I didn't even notice it at first! [He's partying really hard.]

Pictures are a little better. The one of the roof is not centered, and the first one could use from cropping, especially with the sliver of brown on the right edge.

I eagerly await more revisions. :D

[-TA-]

Wow!

I was so eager to see what you would do with our feedback. You really improved your MOC. the tiled floor gives the governors house a real ritch feel. I love it. It looks 100% better! I also really like that you changed the pinata. It was ok as it was at first, but now it's just plain awsome! Really really cool. I might have to steal that design some day! :pir-blush:

Good luck in the competition!

~Badboy

Yes - I really like your updated entry. I haven't had the time to comment on this before now, but I must say, I like it very much.

The roof could use some tiles too, but I know people do not have limited amounts of tiles. I really like your fireworks, your Pinata the guy pouring rum into to large bowl, the very structure and the design of the building is also great, and it's not very common these days to create something with a mixture of white/yellow for houses, but you've done a really great job at making them look great together.

I am especially impressed with your choice of minifig heads. They really all seem to fit with what's going on: i.e. the pirate pouring rum in the bowl, the soldiers on the roof playing wtih all the fireworks.

There's really a party going on and I think you've achieved to show it in this MOC.

All these mocs!.....anyone would think theres a contest on! Right, anyway, im liking this! No, im loving this, i mean ya cant beat a good party can ya! You've got the drinks, you've got the food, you've got the fireworks so you just know the nights gonna end with a bang, and you've even got that odd guy who always hangs around outside wishing he could get in but nobody likes him. You've nailed the party vibe, great build all round, help yourself to a pinata!

Great job with the revisions, the piñata looks even better. I can't think of anything wrong with it. Great entry.

I have never seen an MOC will all of the different factions in it that I enjoyed until this one! What a cool idea! I really like how everyone has their own way of having a good time. I especially enjoy the "balloon" idea! I like the double decker look without making it look too much like a cutaway.

Very good job! PARTY!

-martinsuper

Great entry into the medium category! It is certainly a noteworthy one and very fun filled one at the same time. :pir_laugh2:

The first floor's SNOT work is great, but then the second deck/floor has a little to many studs for my liking. Its not that there are studs its that there is such a huge contrast between the two. The arches seem a little low as well on the second floor. All these slight flaws in the second floor that aren't entirely noticeable, but more subtle lead me to think that the top was just tacked on at the end as a separate addition just the make it look more 'firecracker able' :pir-skull: It is still a fantastic MOC and maybe I'm being to hard. :cannon: I feel like I am, but I think a few change may help.

I really like the flags btw and the minifigures decorated appearances are great! :thumbup:

I see this going far in the PTV voting polls. Best of luck.

Wow you added a bigger roof. This MOC just keeps getting better and better! Ilove the faces of the people on the roof!

Wow, I really like this MOC.

There's something that make that party seemed very great and everyone in there had a lot of fun.

Of course, the assassin near the window. But a great MOC of course!

Cheers!! :pir_laugh2:

Wow, nice one, I like the details! It would be really fun to be at your party! I like the expressions on the faces! Cheers! :pir_laugh2:

Just quickly updated pics 1 and 4 with the new roof. I tried adding a chandelier but I didn't really feel it fit in with the scene.

Once again, thanks for all of the feedback guys. :pir-classic: