Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo and pe668's Great Steam Train Journey

traintech1.jpg

Captain Zuloo and pe668's Great Steam Train Journey

3992052775_5ccda99d50.jpg

Canberra - Bungendore October 8, 2009

3992070317_87f3c940a0.jpg

Ok, so this doesn't involve LEGO bricks in any way, but I thought it could be a good addition to the non-LEGO reference section of Train Tech. Ok, I lied, I just wanted to share some photos of a fantastic train trip I took with pe668, his daughter and his uncle. :grin:

The Australian Railway Historical Society runs a Canberra - Bungendore steam train and I was lucky enough to be invited by pe668 to go along for a ride. It was a fantastic day of wind in my face, strange conductors and soot (I'm still shaking it out of my hair) and I will be going again the very next opportunity I get!

We started off as our train pulled in to Canberra Railway Station. The loco (sorry, I forgot the class), number 3016, was built in 1903 but in recent times has only been rail fit for about 2 and a half years.

3992806608_27b22442d2.jpg

The train was supposed to be delayed an hour due to another train carrying ballast being too heavy and not being able to get out of our way. But that was done earlier than expected, and we were on out way. We got to Queanbeyan fairly quickly where we sat on a siding waiting for the regular CountryLink Explorer service to fly past before we continued. After passing some interesting landscapes including many farm paddocks full of animals who ran at the sound of the train, we entered a tunnel. We were advised to keep windows shut whilst in the tunnel as the soot would get into the cars. I got enough soot on me from sticking my head out the window outside of the tunnels - inside one would have been a disaster!

3992809746_b4dc54d249.jpg

We passed two more tunnels and the new Defence base (in the middle of the countryside no less :wacko: ) before arriving after about an hour and a half in Bungendore.

When most of the passengers had left the train, I went and asked a conductor if I could go down to the rail level to take a few pictures of the locomotive, and I was lucky enough for him to say yes, so long as I make an effort not to get hit by the train. :laugh:

3992828466_85a74768fe.jpg

3992070317_87f3c940a0.jpg

3992827710_6dc7bce57b.jpg

3992067905_01ffc3b02c.jpg

3992826392_fb0518b42e.jpg

We went for a walk to a local pie shop (there wasn't much else, Bungendore is a tiny town) and I got myself a mexican pie. Bloody hell, I think there was more steam coming out of me than the train - the chilli flakes were huge! :oh:

3992066735_64bacc7555.jpg

Then we walked back to the railway station where the locomotive had been shunted to the other end of the train.

3992812844_a30e0e970e.jpg

There weren't too many people floating around, so I asked if I could have a look in the cab. The guy inside said "sure!", so I climbed in and took a few photos...

3992818054_17cfde8be8.jpg

3992059505_8b7681b778.jpg

3992060469_7e290bb671.jpg

3992820258_ae9cbcbd36.jpg

3992061895_4f61ff7b80.jpg

...and so did pe668.

3992887928_9b247afb8b.jpg

When I was in the cab, I noticed a pipe under the train with water pouring - and I mean pouring out of it. I asked the guy in the cab (who turned out to not know a thing about steam engines other than that he had to "train-sit" this one until the driver got back from lunch) if it was supposed to be producing so much water, and he said he had no idea, but it was left like that so it must be right.

3992817122_103e8d17a4.jpg

We then returned to our carriage and sat down waiting for the train to depart promptly at 20 minutes past 2 o'clock.

3992054071_c96d9dd589.jpg

3992051621_3da4c2c1d2.jpg

We weren't going anywhere, and what a suprise: we got word that the boiler was too low on water to make the trip back to Canberra. :hmpf: The fire brigade had to be called to put more water in the train. But hey, it gave me some more time to take some photos of the locomotive! :sweet:

3992052775_5ccda99d50.jpg

3992065637_ea9e00e184.jpg

3992825484_3763437d41.jpg

And who's this strange fellow attached to the front of the loco?

3992056025_9df8109186.jpg

And pe668 decided to jump out and have a look at the train too.

3992056497_31157f9824.jpg

3992814578_31fe4a7eeb.jpg

About 15 minutes into our wait, I overheard that the fire brigade would be there in 45 minutes. Usually that would be fine, but the CountryLink train was stuck in Canberra and couldn't get past until we got back, and it would have been quite costly to the Historical Society were we to make the Canberra - Sydney service late. So the driver made the decision to use what water we had left to try and get back to Canberra. He said that if we didn't make it, at least we would be closer so the fire brigade wouldn't have to go as far. :laugh:

So we boarded the train for the last time and pulled away from Bungendore railway station.

3992809252_5eaa89f6e2.jpg

(Note: That red signal never went green, we just went straight through it!)

pe668's uncle bought himself a hot coffee, and due to the movements of the old cars, he almost wore it as he was in between cars.

3992054925_000de11806.jpg

We enjoyed some more scenery...

3992049179_c8e32264da.jpg

3992808328_1a98e3dc7e.jpg

3992807854_a2cf7e5621.jpg

3992807224_83e340eca7.jpg

Before we slowly pulled into Canberra railway station, 40 minutes late. :classic:

It was a fantastic day, and I hope to take the trip again sometime soon.

You can see these and a few more images in the flickr gallery, I hope you enjoyed my amature photography and maybe you train heads might get something out of the loco. :wink:

I plan to MOC it as soon as I can find a Bricklink store with cheap 10194 wheels... :tongue:

Thanks BMW! Unfortunately I left the pamphlet with all the details of the loco, cars and railway on the train. :blush: So thanks very much for that. :sweet:

Fantastic Z! What a great train trip, with some outstanding photos. Thanks for sharing your railway journey with us.

I'm most impressed with how the train has been so well kept or restored. Everything looks so neat and clean, even the beautiful countryside.

Very nice! :thumbup:

EDIT: on an unrelated note, I had an old friend in highschool that had a few friends who kidnapped a fellow student's Gumby. I faintly remember hearing about how they wrote a randsom note and pictured Gumby in different parts of the city. :laugh:

EDIT ONCE MORE: I think this deserves special mention. Great pictures!

I'm most impressed with how the train has been so well kept or restored. Everything looks so neat and clean, even the beautiful countryside.

I'll second that. Most steamers which aren't rusting at least show layers of paint over rust. I don't see this... and the exposed iron doesn't appear significantly degraded (no bubbling around the rivets either). My guess it it was restored some time ago and now kept inside and only run in good weather. The maintenance appears as good as the Yucatan loks Disney runs at the Florida park.

- BMW

What a wonderful read, thanks for that Capn Zooooloooo :tongue:

I'm most interested to hear how your dealing with the soot, seeing as I'm planning on taking such a ride myself one of these days... Actually, not it's not really going to be anytime soon, most probably not until springtime next year, but still... I'm hoping to take my significant Otter :D and go visit the last remaining narrow-gauge line (760mm) that runs high up in the mountains here in Bulgaria. Should be a thrilling ride, especially with the old (built in 1949) Polish steamer still running along those lines. Only trouble is, they run a diesel train most of the time there and they only use the steamer on special occasions, so finding out when the next one of those is taking place should be the hard part...

But I digress. Once again, thanks for those pics, this one really is marvellously restored loc.

My guess it it was restored some time ago and now kept inside and only run in good weather.

It was restored to working condition about 3 years ago, but they run it every 3rd Sunday of the month and on special occasions regardless of the weather. Our trip would have gone ahead if it were to rain or anything. I suppose it's just the loving individuals who keep it up and running that make that possible.

I'm most interested to hear how your dealing with the soot...

What, in my hair? I just washed it out, nothing difficult. :wink:

I'm most interested to hear how your dealing with the soot.

If you stick you head out the window, wear sunglasses. Soot in your hair is not so much an issue but get some in your eye and that's another story.

If you stick you head out the window, wear sunglasses. Soot in your hair is not so much an issue but get some in your eye and that's another story.

Oh Yeah, pitty no-one told me that before I went on Puffing Billy* as a kid. Not good.

*Puffing Billy is the name of the local heritage steam train here in Melbourne.