Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Renegade Redcoat Rum Runners!

:pir-oh3: This is clearly the best entry so far. No Joke!!!

That evil/crooked Redcoat reminds me of Boss Hogg from Dukes of Hazzard, selling rum instead of moonshine :pir-laugh:

That's an amazingly detailed and well-executed, not to mention HUGE, entry! That huge rock just calls for a smugglers' cave :pir-classic:

And... I especially like the classic pirates name of your entry :pir-wink:

And we've got a winner!

Wow what a MOC!

In an other threat I advised the Creator to use snottet water. But I actually don't mind the use of tiled water in your MOC. The mountains are so so great! The plants and trees on the island are just superb! Love the hight difference you created in this MOC. Love the round wall with the canon, and the slightly curved wooden dock (?) in the water. The palmtree looks some what out of place. Maybee you should ad another one. The minifigs are spot on and I love the use of the 1x1 round plates for the house. Looks like it's made from natural stones.

Very very great MOC!

~Badboy

Edited by badboytje88

Wow Derfel - excellent MOC and great storyline.

I've always been a fan of your "work" :pir-blush: and this MOC is certainly no exception.

Even though every entry - good or bad - can benefit from tweaking here and there, it's okay that you can't change things in yours. But I guess a few things would have hightened your entry's winning chance, even though that chance is high already and supposedly will be by the end of the competition.

Let me start by saying that I really love your rocks. It's great to see it done in a quite different style than what we are used to (not saying that I don't like the "usual" way)

All those round bricks on top of all the rocks is definitely a funny idea.

I see that you've done the same with your house. Lots and lots of round bricks. I'm not sure I agree with it to be honest. I think it's a bit messy, but it's different, and I respect different.

The plants all over the MOC are excellent. I love how they make the MOC come alive. I would even have love to see more trees and palm trees in the background to close off the MOC from behind.

The sheer size of this MOC made me awestruck when I first saw it. Your sense for detail in the rocks, the grass and down at the beach is a pleasure to behold, and the way you curved the wall in front of the canon, and the way you curved the dock is excellent. I especially love the dock, it's really a treat for the eye.

One last thing: The rocky stairs from the house down to the canon looks fantastic. I love the stone cobbled layer.

It reminds me of this:

KRC_Cobble_Stone_Stairs_And_Wall_330_large.jpeg

Good luck in the competition :)

Aaand we have a winner, ladies and gentlemen...

Derfel, that is a brilliant MOC and it is absolutely inspiring for all Pirates enthusiasts. I believe your dioramas contain some of the most detailed landscaping, well-thought structures & great ideas I've seen. Cheers mate... I can't really try to tell you how you should have improved since what you have done there is a really high-quality MOC and the only way you could have improved it is by adding something into the scene - in this case, that would probably be cluttering the view and I love this one just how it is.

Oh, and my favourite thing about this entry? The idea itself! I mean, I would have expected an unbeliavably high-quality entry from a builder as skilled as you are, but the idea to go with that is equally brilliant. Kudos for that!

Fantastic entry, the landscape work is incredible. Great work!

I managed to get a bit of free time over the weekend, so i figured i'd better throw together my entry.

'Thrown together' ?! This is masterly! :pir_laugh2:

The only thing I can see that you could possibly have worked on was adding a bit more variety of color in the rock face - some lighter grey would be good.

But that doesn't detract at all from the creation itself - very good work.

Edited by Commander Laquiet

This is why i don't enter the large catagory :pir_laugh2:

It's a fantastic model and the landscaping is excelent , though i wonder how much you spent on bricks for this monster.

Great work and i'm hoping you win something for your effort.

Thanks, i had a clear idea for this, which is why it didnt take to long. Sometimes i take ages to build a moc cause i dont have a clear vision of what i want to build. Ive never thought that it takes talent to build, anyone can build a masterpiece, all you need is imagination! :pir-classic:

Thanks, i had a clear idea for this, which is why it didnt take to long. Sometimes i take ages to build a moc cause i dont have a clear vision of what i want to build. Ive never thought that it takes talent to build, anyone can build a masterpiece, all you need is imagination! :pir-classic:

And a monsterous load of bricks! :pir_laugh2:

That's always my problem, I have ideas enough! But not always the money for bricks. :pir_laugh2:

Now off to Derfel's wonderful entry!

I must admit there is not much to be improved here. The landscape is brilliant as well for the building.

But the palm tree is slighly bugging me though. I'd recommend to make a new one without those large palm leaves.

The leaves used for the bush in front of the palm tree are better.

Perhaps some flotsam would be nice as well. And some transculent bricks at the spot where the water meets the cliffs to create the splashing water effect.

Good luck at the contest! :kahuka:

Aren't we quick to post such a massive entry into the large category. :pir-tongue:

And I must say it is a fantastic entry for how quickly it was completed in.

The tiled water is a nice idea (in fact so nice I may have to use it :pir_laugh2: ) although I do feel with brick/plate water you can usually integrate the waves/color of the water a little bit better, but it still does look great.

The idea is hilarious as well. Who would've thought the Redcoats would turn to Rum Runners without any work.

I also feel this MOC needs a little SNOT work. Its so large its hard for my eyes to take in all of the studs such as on the mountain. A few more slopes could quickly fix that, but still amazing work. I can see this on the prize list already. :pir-blush:

This is a fantastic entry! I really like the hills, minifigs, and vegetation.

Suggestions

-I think a small ship should be included in the creation. When I read the description I immediately though that there would be a ship included in the entry. I think to gain the ultimate profit the gone bad redcoat officer should have a larger than dingy sized smuggling vessel.

-I also think a dolphin or jumping fish would add a bit more interest to the water.

what a splendid entry, I love the cliff , the stairs, the beach and the house is really nice too.. well, I love everything XD does the little house have an interior ?

A possible winner! The use of the plants and weeds on the reefs and the implantation of that wonderfull cannon post, the amazing cottage...SUPERB!

Well this is an amazing MOC so I think I am going to rate this one based on some aspects that stand out to me.

1. Fuctionality

This MOC is one of the most totally fuctional creations I have ever seen. A good ole red coat boy can very easily row up to thise "hideout" and carry his goods up to the second level. The "stairs" have a very believeable and eye appealing ratio to them, and your ability to curve the path and elevate it make me very envious of the build.

2. Eye Appeal

This MOC is a true feast for the eyes. There is no spot that has been left without attention and no space that does not show care and detail. The rock seems totally realistic and the buildings, paths, and layout really look like some redcoats showed up here and made themselves a little outpost. It looks like a team of redcoats took pick axes and actually made that path, and the fact you made me believe that story without saying it just blows my mind. I especially LOVE the small cannon emplacement which truly shows what such emplacement should look like, that is, rock formations with added brick and mortar to make into fighting positions. VERY AMAZING! I spent a long long long time trying to find the BURP and LURP. You did an amazing job of hiding it and still using it to make the structure.

3. Nature

The tree looks like it grew there and is supposed to be there. The rock vegetation looks real and natural in its growth pattern. The water really looks like its "lapping" the shoreline. The MOC is totally natural and realistic.

4. How does this MOC fit into actual LEGO pirate sets and other MOCs?

I could see this MOC and really believe that the same characters from Soldier's Fort or other LEGO sets would actually be here. This MOC looks like its part of "the larger LEGO pirate world" which is something that I often strive to do and far more often struggle to accomplish.

5. Style

You have made many MOCs and I have always been very impressed. You have come to us with yet another MOC that is totally different than anything else you have made, but yet still makes your style completely visible. All I can say is that I can't wait to see you take a picture of this MOC with the new Imperial Flagship in front of it! Could you do me that favor and leave this together long enough to take that picture? Its the only favor I ask because I know you are quick to dismantle!

Very very very impressive!

-martinsuper