Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

Best 2009 City set?

Best 2009 City set?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite City set of 2009?

• 7631 Dump Truck
    • 7632 Crawler Crane
    • 7633 Construction Site
    • 7685 Dozer
    • 7746 Single Drum Roller
    • 7634 Tractor
    • 7635 4wrd With Horse Trailer
    • 7636 Combine Harvester
    • 7637 Farm
    • 7638 Tow Truck
    • 7642 Garage
    • 7686 Helicopter Transporter
    • 8401 City Minifigure Collection
    • 8402 Sports Car
    • 7639 Camper
    • 7641 City Corner
    • 7747 Wind Turbine Transport
    • 7687 City Advent Calendar
    • 10194 Emerald Night
    • 10199 Winter Toy Shop

Hello everybody! :classic:

Since now all City sets for 2009 are released and we already have got great reviews of these sets I thought that it would be interesting to know which your favourite City set of this year is and whether there is one prefered one among us City fans.

(I didn't add the promo sets to this poll since only very few people can get them. And I didn't add the Fire Brigard to this poll since this shall be a poll only about City sets in the classic City/Town style (buildings without backwalls).)

So please vote! Comments are welcome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by TheBrickster

City Corner was simply great, the bus was awesome :thumbup:

2009 was a great year for City. So many great sets :classic:

8401 was the best one in my opinion. We've been waiting for this one for years, since the end of the 90's! :sweet:

By the way, aren't we talking about 2009 City sets? :tongue:

I had to vote for 10199 Winter Toy Shop, because of the large amount of minifigures and accessories that you get. The building is of superb quality and the tree looks very good too. However it was a close first, with the 7641 in a close second.

Of course the wind turbine transport.

This set has a great truck and trailer, and the wind turbine is also nice, maybe a bit small, but good enough to make it my set of the year :classic:

I must say I did have some doubts because of the farm sets, but this 7747 is really my thing

Not considering the 10197 Fire Brigade, clearly 7641 City Corner. I hope this poll serves as a stimulus to TLG to consider releasing more 'City Life' sets.

These were the 09' sets. Not 2010'. :classic: 2010's have yet to be released. My vote goes to the Combine Harvester. big yes, but great detail and very orignal. Though to be fair, i don't have most of the others. Somy opinion could change if i were to get any.

By the way, aren't we talking about 2009 City sets? :tongue:

Thank you very much for call my attention, BlueBard. :classic:

The same happened in the topic about this year's SW sets - supposably it's because I always do already think about next year's sets. I'm sorry. :blush:

My favourite 2009 City set is the

7641 City Corner

since it looks really classical, includes a 2,5 floor big building, a bus with station. It's great that TLG offered a civilian City set as a regular set this year, too! After 10184 Town Plan this is imo even the best City set ever!

My Top-Three City sets of this year are:

1. 7641 City Corner

2. 10199 Winter Toy Shop

3. 7747 Wind Turbine Transport

Klaus-Dieter

I voted for the Emerald Night. It's a great design, and the first steam engine since the 12V era that looks realistic. The only point is there aren't enough cars.

Well, the 10199 Winter Toy Shop looks really good and would be my favourite set of those you have listed. But I don't see that as a City set (not Emerald Night either) but as an Exclusive. In my opinion it's unfair to include those sets to the poll (because of all the awesomeness in them :grin: ).

So I voted for 7639 Camper :thumbup:

A really nice set, including 2 great minifigs, a bike, a surfboard and a well design RV with nice colour scheme. To be honest it's the only 2009 City set I have. :blush:

:blush: I am shocked to read that all these sets are from 2010. I have been on a city "buying-spree" last year...

Eniwee, my favorite must be the farm, closely followed by City Corner

Edited by Lockt

I voted 7641 City Corner, because it has classic buildings, and a ver good bus.

I wish that there are coming more of this kind of city sets, because I would really like more civilian sets and not only police and fire sets.

Second has to be the camper, its a great set only I don't like that the cabin is six wide.

the Inventor

Some tough choices this year

Honorable mention for me are the Farm and Wind Turbine

I had to go with City Corner though

It defines an awesome city set, great buildings, a vehicle and cool figs.

Perfect City Set :wub:

I also don't consider the Emerald Night a City set, its box art is designed to be a Exclusive

No City logos anywhere.

A collector train :wink:

Edited by Macoco

Confused by the title :tongue: I voted:

1) City Corner (the bus is plain great! :wub:)

2) Wind Turbine Transport (unused theme, I would like a couple of those)

3) Winter Toy Shop (because of its variety)

and I also liked

4) the horse trailer

5) the helicopter transport

As the others already pointed out the Emerald Night is a class of its own. :wink:

Thank you very much for call my attention, BlueBard. :classic:

The same happened in the topic about this year's SW sets - supposably it's because I always do already think about next year's sets. I'm sorry. :blush:

My favourite 2009 City set is the

7641 City Corner

since it looks really classical, includes a 2,5 floor big building, a bus with station. It's great that TLG offered a civilian City set as a regular set this year, too! After 10184 Town Plan this is imo even the best City set ever!

My Top-Three City sets of this year are:

1. 7641 City Corner

2. 10199 Winter Toy Shop

3. 7747 Wind Turbine Transport

Klaus-Dieter

Klaus,

This is exactly my choice and my selection (from 1st to 3rd)

I am wondering why Lego could promo so many good sets in 2009 (Farm series is really good... but they are just UNDER that 3 sets)... then 1st half of 2010...............

Klaus-Dieter, this is quite a hard decision! I voted for 7641 City Corner, as it has great playability and has fantastic sub-sections within the set. However, 7633 Construction Site and 7635 4WD With Horse Trailer were very close runners-up.

I like the Toy Store, because it has the best value IMO and looks the nicest :thumbup:

I agree that this poll is very misleading - the Exclusive sets are NOT City sets and should not be included in this poll.

I voted for the 7634 4WD with Horse Trailer - beautiful little vehicle, nice figs, great design, and many useful parts. A classic!

I agree that this poll is very misleading - the Exclusive sets are NOT City sets and should not be included in this poll.

Just what I was about to say.

Even though the Toy Store for example is a "Classic Town" kind of set, it is still an Exclusive and as such should and can not be compared with the rest of the City line. Oh well, at least K-D did forget to include the Fire Brigade - if he had, the Emerald Night would have had some serious competition though.

I suggest this thread be divided into two separate polls: Favourite city set of 2009 and Favourite exclusive set of 2009.

If we consider this one to be the "City" poll, my vote goes to 7641. I don't own it yet, and I don't view it as anything too great, especially compared to the Exclusives we've seen in recent years. What it is however is a refreshing change from the City line-ups we've sort of gotten used to and a nice throwback to the more vivacious designs of the late 80s.

P.S.: The whole Construction line is not precisely my kettle of fish, and I just don't think the Farm sets were elaborate / creative / catchy enough to live up to the expectations.

Edited by TheOtters

Even though the Toy Store for example is a "Classic Town" kind of set, it is still an Exclusive and as such should and can not be compared with the rest of the City line. Oh well, at least K-D did forget to include the Fire Brigade - if he had, the Emerald Night would have had some serious competition though.

I don't know if he 'forgot' so much as he just doesn't like it or consider it to be part of City.

However, the 10197 Fire Brigade and 10196 Carousel both contain figs, and I don't see any reason that a train like the Emerald Express is included but those two aren't.

2 polls - one for proper City sets, and one for Exclusives is not a bad idea...

I don't know if he 'forgot' so much as he just doesn't like it or consider it to be part of City.

That's my 'suspicion' as well... :wink:

However, the 10197 Fire Brigade and 10196 Carousel both contain figs, and I don't see any reason that a train like the Emerald Express is included but those two aren't.

I agree, it's kind of inconsistent in this way. The Exclusives are evaluated on totally different standard by most of us. My vote would have certainly gone to 10197 if it were included.

2 polls - one for proper City sets, and one for Exclusives is not a bad idea...

I'll second that.

Let me explain why I did include the Emerald Night and the Winter Toy Shop in this poll:

To the Winter Toy Shop:

I totally agree with you that this is an exclusive set. But it contains so many contents which are typical for a City set: many minifigs, small house abd open backwalls.

To the Emerald Night:

I here totally agree with you that this is an exclusive set, too. But it is a typical Train set: locomotive, train car with interior and minifigs. In the past the train sets were mostly counted to City and included in City layouts in official catalogues, too.

To the Caroussel and the Fire Brigade:

These sets don't go very well with the "normal" City sets since their size is much too huge in comparison to regular (and even exclusive) City sets. With the Fire Brigade you can imo think about adding it to the poll. But do you really think that the Caroussel has anything in common with all other exclusive and regular City sets?!

The problem with making a poll only for the Excluives of all different themes is that they can only hardly be compared: How can you judge whether e. g. a Tantive Four is better or worse than a Winter Toy Shop?! Imo you can not compare this since these themes are much too different. I fear that it then would only depend on the likes and dislikes of the different themes the person who votes has. And what about e. g. people who like SW as well as City - for which set should they then vote?!

Nevertheless I do agree with you that it would supposably better to have a poll only with the regular City sets and one with 10194, 10196, 10197 and 10199. The only problem is that a lot of people already voted.

So please let me know.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Definitely City Corner. Yeah, its a little strange to see Emerald Night and Winter Toy Shop among the options, though Winter Toy Shop is a pretty good set and really could be counted as a City set. (I'm not sure about Emerald Night though, Lego Singapore did not carry this and those privately shipped are really expensive)

But perhaps the sets should have been classified further, such as vehicles, cause its a really difficult decision.

City Corner has a good variety with vehicles and shops and Pizza!

The minifigure collection set is also quite a good one, with the road signs and bench a great addition for a town, and if this topic was "Best most affordable 2009 city set", it would have gotten my vote.

Come to think of it, City Corner is still the best and most value for money set among wave 2 for City (in singapore that is). I would have bought the camper if not for City Corner already having a bicycle and skateboards, and I can't do much with the surfboard looking at my budding City Collection which has yet to have any sea elements other than a few pirates. The Sports Car was too boring and simple a build and too expensive for what you get (S$16.90 here), with only the phone worth collecting and the tree.

Farm is also a good theme, but my local shop only carries the tractor and the huge Farm set which is way above my budget. I find the tractor to simple and a tad boring with only a minifig and nothing special to be worth the 20 dollars. I can't wait for next year's pig enclosure though! It will most likely be the first and only Farm Set I'm getting (perhaps also the impulse)

Great topic anyway, got me thinking about my purchases this year.

My vote goes to 7639 Camper.

Simply a beautiful set, with a beautiful minifigure. The design is simple, yet it's such a good deal! :sweet:

But, I also really love 10194 Emerald Night. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! The fact that includes so many new, and awesome colored, pieces, makes the set a must have if you want some more dark green. :wub: