Sign in to follow this  
emilec

REVIEW: 6699 Cycle Fix-It Shop

INDEXED

6699 - Cycle Fix-It Shop

Released: 1987

Pieces: 63

Minifigs: 2

While building the new City Corner set i was inspired to pull out this classic set from my collection. A quick review and comparison to the 2009 version follows.

Front of the box, just love these Legoland boxes.

box1.jpg

Rear of the box with the alternate models. It's a shame the old boxes meant you had to destroy the side flap to open them.

box2.jpg

Pieces of note: Two printed signs and three different coloured bikes! I do like the way older bikes stand up easier and feel well scaled in comparison to more modern bikes.

bikes.jpg

The minifigs, two staples of the era, wish they would use the classic smiley a bit more in today's sets.

figs.jpg

Instructions are the normal double sided fold out variety.

instructions.jpg

As with most of this style of set the build is simple, using mainly basic bricks with plate roofs and two large elements for the door and window.

build.jpg

A couple of minutes later we have the completed set ready to liven up your streets.

front.jpg

The back of the model has the usual open back style of the time - great for playability. Inside the shop we have a table with helmet and some spares on display. Next a little counter, somewhat lacking perhaps a till or phone could have been used. To the left we have the rear of the workshop complete with bike stand and tools.

rear.jpg

Here we have the 2009 equivalent from City Corner, skateboards replace motorbikes. Notice the bolder/brasher signage and the CCTV camera (signs of the times we live in). Also in 6699 we have a door and dividing wall to emphasise the split between shop and workshop.

corner.jpg

front.jpg

And finally the two together. Both sit on 16x6 baseplates and my opinion stand up pretty well together, showing 6699 is a welcome addition to any town or city, classic or modern.

side.jpg

In conclusion, you get a nice looking building, three great bikes and two figures. To me it sums up the sets of this era - small yet simple build that seems to contain so much and has an almost timeless feel to it.

Edited by TheBrickster

A great review, thanks for all the pictures! I really like this little set by never owned one. :sad: I did make it in MLCad though and made a GIF of this set for the BlueBrick layout software a while ago. At least I know exactly where I will put it as soon as I get one. :grin:

6699.set.gif

If you are not familiar with the software you can find out everything you need in the BlueBrick Index link in my signature.

Looking forward to seeing more of your reviews soon!

Great review Emilec. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see you comparing this set to the new City Corner set, very creative to have done so in fact. I think this deserves a BLOG!

The 80s were definately a fine time for LEGO Town/City. :thumbup:

Great review, and good job with the comparisons. Clearly alot of things have changed in minifigs, motorcylces, etc, but it's nice to see that LEGO City is finally starting to take more cues from the classic 80's style town sets that are so iconic to so many LEGO fans.

Now if only we could get bikes in a color other than red...

Cute little set, I like its predecessor (6373) a lot too, although I don't own any of the two.The new cycle/skate shop could really use a door :wink:

Little off-topic:

And I love those old boxes. I realize designing alternate models for the back of the boxes can be costly for TLG, but I'd really like them to bring it back to show the purpose of Lego sets as building sets and to inspire kids' creativity. But I guess the lack of small bricks and plates in current sets makes it harder than in the 80s and 90s to design attractive alternate models.

Thank you very much for this great review, emilec! :classic:

I really :wub: this set and would even say that it is above average since it includes two motorbikes, a bicycle, two minifigs and some additional stuff.

Nevertheless I like the new cycle shop from the awesome 7641 City Corner more than this classic cycle shop:

Although the classic cycle car includes some sort of cash point (which TLG regrettably missed in 7641) and I prefer much more a black bicycle I must say that the design of the cycle shop in 7641 looks much better - especially with this big show box with the skateboard, the cap and the helmet inside.

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for all your comments, i have more sets of this era that i intend to review in time. Seems like there are quite a few holes to fill in the review index. I picture the city corner one near the High St and 6699 tucked down some side street by a railway bridge for example.

Thanks for the nice review, man!

And great part is that you have compared two very similar sets.

I like the old one more, just because it has that classic Lego feel in it. It is very simple and it provide warm feeling for me, almost nostalgic, probably because of my age (24)