Sign in to follow this  
xenologer

Skydiver Class Personal Shuttle

3751239615_83c5e2f611.jpg

3752028980_f86811e198.jpg

3752028942_cfdbba1114.jpg

Flickr Set

The Skydiver is one of the most minimal civilian spacecraft capable of interplanetary travel. It has absolutely no cargo space, and only carries a single pilot in an extremely cramped cockpit. Range is generally limited more by the life support duration/coldsleep of the pilots space suit than the ship itself. Popular among thrill seeking youngsters who want to play pretend at fighter pilot.

I really was surprised that this ship turned out so well, I wasn't even planning it really. It started out as an attempt to duplicate the SP flier from Squidman Pitstop in LDD, (notice the angled wings).

Then since LDD as of latest update doesn't have very spacey windscreens, I took the 'toll booth' window and flipped it on it side; and the entire cockpit and nose shape just naturally evolved around that.

This is the first time I've ever managed to use that window successfully and I think it actually works really well on a ship this size (most of the traditional space windscreens would take up more space).

This ship was entirely designed in LDD:

LDD model

Blacktron 1 Color variant

Edited by xenologer

Very nice!

The shuttle is not too bulky or too slim so I think that the size is perfect.

My only criticism is that grey part on the top of the shuttle does not really go with your colour scheme.

Hello!

A great craft you presented here! The way you used that windscreen is very creative. Are those 2x2 dishes for the engines also trans yellow or trans neon yellow. I know the yellow ones are more rare. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

The engine glowies are the common neongreen as found in M-tron to Exploriens era sets. Sorry the colors are a little off, artificial lighting kinda sucks and I'm not too great at color correction...

Interesting point about the mdstone roof intake part. I was thinking its an exposed engine part so it isn't 'painted' as the rest of the ship; but now that you mention it, I think that part does come in metalicsilver... which might match up with the silvery engine nozzles.

Aw that's a cute shuttle, I like it!

Especially the engines. I agree that metallic silver might be a better choice of colour for the roof head.