Sign in to follow this  
trubal

Quality time with friends

th_thindexedgif.gif 98c

FINAL EDIT:

Hi again! as the contest is coming to an end I've finally made some photos of my vignette and post it here.

I changed the older photos into links, not to trash the post

So, here it is:

"Quality time with friends"

Cpt. Trubal and Cpt. Brickbeard usually act as a competition to each other. But, as it often happens, after work they happen to be very good friends.

Both of them love their work, and also they both have similar hobbies. One of them is Fishing, which they like to do together.

This time its cpt. Trubal who caught the fish, and Brickbeard grabbed the net to help him put it in the barrel...

And NEW photos (6 photos for the competition):

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin5.jpg

fin6.jpg

fin7.jpg

/////////////////////////////////////// The older versions://///////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi everybody!

Finally I managed to join c-p.com!

Last year I also wanted to join PTV Contest, but no time, and not enough bricks stopped me from doing it.

Luckily i put myself together this year and decided to do something nice:)

I applied some suggestions to my vig and here's what it looks like now:

Second edit:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...l/2upgrade1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/MOCs/Pirate-MOCs/PTVII-Small/2upgrade2.jpg

First edit:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...ll/upgrade1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...ll/upgrade2.jpg

Original photos:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...VII-Small/1.jpg

I have made this small vignette which I must say I am happy with.

Some more pictures:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...VII-Small/2.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...VII-Small/3.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...VII-Small/4.jpg

I especially like the water hitting the pillars:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...VII-Small/5.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/trubal/M...VII-Small/6.jpg

Edited by SlyOwl

This is a great entry. The idea you've used is totaly original and the background story is fantastic. The minifigs look stunning too.

Suggestions

-The dock would look better if it were brown rather than black

-Add a few little plants such as a palm tree but use the 1x1 cylinders for the trunk, so it can fit.

-Maybe you could try to buy one of these nets if you don't have one

-Another one of you custom fishing rods would look great in the empty barrel.

Edited by Paul cantu

Thx for suggestions!

The palm tree idea - marvellous - I'm doing it right now, as well as the second fishing rod.

Unfortunately I have no brown brick at all, so black would have to do, most docks in Poland are painted black anyway.

I'll post new pictures right away!

I think this vignette is very well-constructed and quite clever.

I admire the technique you used with the water, the custom fly-fishing rods, and your sig-fig in the MOC. :pir-classic:

However, I think the 1x1 cylinders that form the trunk of the palm-tree should be brown instead of black. Either older brown or the newer Indiana Jones leather jacket brown. I also agree with Cantu about the dock.

Well, ill try, there still is some time left, and i will be in a lego shop next week, so i'll try to buy some stuff.

Thx again! :)

I'd add some divisions clearly stating the "old version" and "new version"; I'm going to assume the top ones are pictures of the newer version.

The minifigs are nice. It's pretty unique how you incorporated your sigfig into it as well.

The idea is good as well, with both the Redcoats and Pirates working together, doing something they all do.

I'm not sure if I like certain parts such as the feathers. I was confused by it at first, until I decided it was the bait [it is the bait, right?]. The net seems a little odd. I couldn't tell that was a net until I read the description. Although the colors might be odd, a Spongebob Squarepants Jellyfish net [Peeron's pictures are oddly down] would work well here. :pir-tongue:

Also using real netting tied to some Brown Lightsaber rods could work as well.

The water was well done, with a variety of round studs, square plates and tiles of trans blue to give a shimmering look above the blue. The trans clear studs work well on the sand.

I like the fishing pole you added, it's a small detail but it's nice.

Again like most people, I'm not too fond of the trunk. But also I'm not too fond of the tree as a whole. It adds to the vignette, but it also crowds and the trunk is much too skinny to look good. The Green round brick at the top looks a bit odd too. Maybe you could make the sand a stud or two out towards the water? That way you could use Brown round 2x2s for a better trunk.

If you could get some brown plates for the dock that'd be nice, but it's interesting to hear that Poland has black docks.

I like this entry though, it's well thought out, has some good technique, and some good interaction between minifigs.

Good luck!

[-TA-]

For some weird reason, this one reminds of Grumpy Old Men - dunno if you've actually seen the movie. All good friends need to hassle sometimes, what matters is that in the end they still know they're there for each other.

Sounds downright WRONG with the "friends" being the pirate and the armada leaders - and that's precisely why this one is such a great entry. I'm starting to get the feeling that we'll see the best ideas in this year's Contest in the Small division. A very effective design to complement your lovely idea - and the suggestions by Paul cantu were spot on! Seeing as you don't have any brown bricks/plates, I guess there's not much left to improve on this one.

Since I'm a stranger to fishing I can't help but ask... excuse my stupid question, but what is that Indigo hairpiece used for there?

It's a homemade fishing bait, like on that picture:

http://www.philippinefishing.info/wp-conte...na_feathers.jpg

I could have used the indian feathers, or a plume, but that one looked the best IMO.

The fishing net would be great if i had one, i'll see if i can get it on a short notice.

One little thingie about the fishing rods: The string is original LEGO :P

And again, those brown bricks are a menace... I wanted to use them, but still i couldn't find any

Edited by trubal

Oh I see, it just looks large and a bit obtrusive. The detail you tried is understandable though. But how does it look without it, and simply attached to the string?

Good luck getting the fishing net! If you can get it before the contest's end, I really hope to see it used here :pir_laugh2:.

[-TA-]

Silly me, i just noticed i have 3 castle impulse sets: 2x knights armoury and the wizards something, and they have loads of brown round 1x1 bricks.

I used them for the tree and for the pillars. i also took those 1x6 brown bricks, and thus i had to shorten the dock, what do you think of it now?

New pics in the first post in a moment

It's better, the brown works nicely. The angle of the fish was better before though. The palm tree is better with the green round 1x1 off the top and the brown 1x1's [i still think brown 2x2's or the actual Palm tree trunks would be better].

The dock shortening isn't much of a problem, although see how it looks if you move the sand and dock 2 studs over.

It's nice to see you working on this MOC so quickly! :thumbup:

Oh and I should have said this before, but:

Welcome to EB! :pir-grin:

[-TA-]

I like this but the only thing that seems off is the front of the water being so many pieces. One brick would smooth it out more and give a better water affect.

Well, ill try, there still is some time left, and i will be in a lego shop next week, so i'll try to buy some stuff.

Thx again! :)

You're very welcome! :pir-classic:

The water looks great with the 1x1 round trans blue plates. I like the idea of the pirate kaptain and the admiral sharing the same hobby. That's just sweet. The only thing I'm not sure about is the net (as suggested above) and the fish squirting the water/feathers.

That's all

~Badboy

I already got the net, so I'll make some photos 2morrow and post them. Some other small changes will appear as well :)

I really like how the water turned out and I especially enjoy your use of minifig parts to make this new unique figure. The only problem I would say I have is that until I read that the pirate was holding a net I couldnt figure out what it was. Maybe use some other technique to simulate a net?

-martinsuper

I edited the first post, so go there to see the Final Version.

Comments are welcome!

Edit: Ah, i still have a month time :) Haha

Edited by trubal

The net looks like a perfect addition to this one, and the new/ revised fishing bait also looks much better - at least to me ;) However, I can't really get it - what's the Admiral's helmet doing on top of the Pirate Captain's rod - have you tried just placing that on the ground, next to the barrel? By the way, the effect of water splashing against the quay is very nice, kudos for that! One last thing I'd suggest is trying to add a slight curve to the trunk of that palm tree... It would make this MOC's setup look a bit more dynamic, because the way it is now it just reinforces the feeling of a horizontal line (tree) meeting a vertical line (the beach).

In any case, a very nice entry - best of luck in the contest!

Oh I see you made an update! It looks really nice. Did you place a bricklink order just to get the fishing net? It looks a lot better than the large cone you used at first. I like the white fether comming out of the mouth of the fishy. The water looks lovely, wavey and shimmery, if you get what I mean. Personally I'm not fond of using yellow brick for sand, but that's just my opinion. Before tan was produced, yellow was the way to go. So let's just call it old school!

The only thing I don't like is the red arms on the imperial. White would be much better in my opinion. I was wondering, what is the red stick on which the hat is resting?

Also the palmtree would improve a lot with a few more leaves.

~Badboy

Edited by badboytje88

A very good and funny MOC! Inventive and original - two qualities found in the best MOCers (MOCcers, MOCkers, MOCas... whatever floats your boat! :pir-classic: )

This is a totally different MOC all together! FANTASTIC changes you made to really bring out the story. As you have built it now, I don't think you even need a story anymore to describe what is happening. That is how you know it is well made!

GREAT JOB!

-martinsuper