On a scale 1 to 5  

127 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Got it today in the Legoland Guenzburg. I think it's available in Munich, too, since Munich often gets new sets earlier, than Guenzburg.

The set design, is extremely nice and quite ralistic. It looks like an older toy store in rural regions, It's interior is a bit plain, but due to the wooden floor really realistic. And even skiing kid's minifigs, even including ski poles which can be modified to adult skiers, by changing the legs to the normal ones. Seems that somebody at TLC looked at one of my old CAD minifig-groomers, since the second edition has a minifig with skis. The missing prints don't annoy me, seem to be some skiing gear for the kids.

The third kid seems not to like the caroling, as he want's to throw snowballs on the carollers. The park bank with the street lamp is really great designed, it just looks like it's real. The tree is another highlight, it's brick-built and can be rotated. The tan gift is a teddy bear, the others are a plain gift (maybe a huge LEGO set inside) and a Jack-in-the-box. And this great snowman design, only missing a nose in the correct size, since the carrot is too large for minifig scale. Voted for outstanding and at 60€ for 815 pieces, it's reasonably priced.

mFg Widdi

Thanks for sharing Cardinal Brick! I really like the look of this set. It's got a lot of charm and a great feel to it. I love the wooden planks on the shop floor!! Hopefully this finds its way into my Christmas stocking!! :grin:

10199-04.jpg

Is this the first time we've seen that Space torso? If it is, that's a nice throwback.

I also don't see anything wrong with a caroling pilot.

Is this the first time we've seen that Space torso? If it is, that's a nice throwback.

I also don't see anything wrong with a caroling pilot.

I believe it's in 8401 City Minifigure Collection:

cty129.jpg

The male caroler still has an Airline uniform torso! :tongue:

Yes and why can't an airline pilot be a caroler?

Great review, Cardinal Brick. :sweet::thumbup:

Thx for the review !

This year I'll make a nice Ecologic-Xmas-tree with this set :D

Great review, great set! I hope this is the beginning of a yearly tradition. I'd like it a lot more than all those little brickbuilt oversized iconic characters that we get every year.

Now we just need a few appropriate add-ons like white baseplates and a large tree for use behind it. Say... the return of the cypress or at least some of the standard trees either in milky white or a frosted green and white. :wub:

cty129.jpg

Doesn't he also coordinate EB events and kindly remind people that they need to get the #&$% out of his office?

:wink:

If you want to I can call the Lego Store in Munich on Monday and then write you Monday evening whether it's available there.

But since it's already on S@H I can't imagine that it won't be there.

Thank you for your kind offer. I am going there anyway, so I think it won't be necessary. And if it's available in Gunzberg, I will go and buy it there if it's not available in Munich.

Can't wait!

Thanks for the quick review! I already liked the set (and ordered one from S@H) but now even more!

Correct. It's also in 2007's 7993 Service Station.

twn060.jpg

Actually, according to Peeron, it was first seen in 2003.

Edited by Rapseflaps

Great review! I really like the set and i agree with you, the light :hmpf_bad: it's not really needed. I really like the new faces and deatailed store fronts. :thumbup: Makes for a verygood holiday set.

Yes and why can't an airline pilot be a caroler?

Great review, Cardinal Brick. :sweet::thumbup:

Because, during the Holiday season, airline pilots are very busy because almost everyone wants to go see their relatives, it you know what I mean. :tongue:

One thing I don't see in the original review that surprised me a bit during the build (hooray, got mine in the mail today) was the number of technic parts. Substantially more (as a percentage, anyway) than GG or CC, the only two sets I've built in the past 20 years. ;)

That wasn't a bad thing, I was just a bit surprised to see 'em.

Fun build (although I saved the tree for tomorrow), next up is opening the SECOND 10199 box and making a reasonably sized building to keep the modulars company.

I'm sold on this one, but I think I'll at least wait until the end of November to get it. :wink:

Fun build (although I saved the tree for tomorrow), next up is opening the SECOND 10199 box and making a reasonably sized building to keep the modulars company.

Oooh! Sounds cool! You could use both of the trees to make one big tree for the center of town. Will you post pictures?

Oooh! Sounds cool! You could use both of the trees to make one big tree for the center of town. Will you post pictures?

Oh, you betcha. But first, I have to acquire some more bricks. Hoping to find some grey or brown to complement what I've got at the PaB in Charlotte when I pass through this weekend.

UPDATE: and here it is!

Edited by catbricks

Below average. I've seen more pic's of this set, but actually ............ no. I do like it, cause it's small. But it's build to much difficult, if you know what I mean. And therefore useless too expensive. If it's priced around 20 euro, then ok. Not for those 50 euro's.

This set makes me wish I started recollecting earlier! Definitely getting the Winter Bakery this year, and I hope they keep up the tradition!

In the review he notes "Attaching the roof caused me some problems." I have problems too. I just finished building yesterday. the last step has you putting two roof pieces on. It was hard enough getting one of the sides in just the right place to snap into the one or two studs available and still have it come to an apex. But attaching the other side, it's barely holding on and you can see a gap. The two pieces are sort of overlapping each other at the peak. It seemed like hasty design to me and was kind of disappointing.

Another problem caused is that the light brick needs to have its button pressed against the roof to stay on. I can't get it angled just right so that it stays on, without causing the overlapping roof piece to fall off. This renders the light brick useless.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Well... the roofs on both the toy shop and bakery caused me some minor problems. In the case of the Toy Shop, it is a bit awkward but I built it last year, boxed it, took it out and set it up this past weekend, and it's still good. There's no "barely" holding on, it should be a solid connection. I had a problem with the bakery because I built the first section in the instructions and tried to put it on the "first" side without really looking... it would fit, but not securely, and I sat there saying "this isn't right, " and I went through the instructions and I had it on the wrong side. Now, I'm not saying that's what happened to you guys, but a single missed plate here or there and it's likely to not fit. I would go over the instructions again... yes, the toy shop roof seemed a bit awkward to attach, but where it attaches it attaches solidly. There's not enough there to be able to, for example, pick it up by the roof, but the roof should stay on.

As far as the lights go, in both the shops I never figured to even leave the lights on... it was just something you'd go and press the button when you wanted to see inside. I'll try it when I get home, but it seems to me if you bend them back that far, they wouldn't do a particularly good job lighting.

I was just going to do my own LED lights anyway.

I just took a look at a photo of the completed set. I think I have my top roof plates one stud too high and it just needs some adjusting.

Edited by Zeya

I've just finished building it and I must say that it looks absolutely beautiful. :sweet: I didn't encounter any "roof building" problems and the light brick really adds to the whole Christmas feeling. I really wish I had a second light brick to put it in the ground floor. The plate-built tree is brilliant. :thumbup:

One more thing that I'm thinking when looking at it, is that it can be a great present during Christmas holidays even for someone who is not a LEGO fan. Christmas decoration + building it yourself = Happiness!

This is a great review for an outstanding set! :classic:

I've just finished building it and I must say that it looks absolutely beautiful. :sweet: I didn't encounter any "roof building" problems and the light brick really adds to the whole Christmas feeling. I really wish I had a second light brick to put it in the ground floor. The plate-built tree is brilliant. :thumbup:

One more thing that I'm thinking when looking at it, is that it can be a great present during Christmas holidays even for someone who is not a LEGO fan. Christmas decoration + building it yourself = Happiness!

Thanks for this summary Zorbas, it has made me want to build my copy of the set now, not in a weeks time on Christmas day. :laugh:

~buddy~

Thanks for this summary Zorbas, it has made me want to build my copy of the set now, not in a weeks time on Christmas day. :laugh:

You can always say that we're in a Christmas atmosphere period as we speak. A good excuse. :wink: