127 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

Snow is fall all around, children playing, having. Up in his workshop a toy maker works away to finish something for Christmas

Set Name: Winter Toy Shop

Set Number: 10199

Number of Pieces: 815

Figures:7

Released: 2009

List Price: £39.15 (GBP) $59.99 (USD) 59.99 (EURO)

10199Peeron.com

10199 Bricklink Catalog

10199 Shop At Home

I got an e-mail this morning telling me this set was on shop@home so I just had to swing by the Lego store and see if they had it. It was on my way home honest!

Lets us begin with the box.

10199-01.jpg

They're making a big point about the light up brick.

10199-02.jpg

Showing the key details of the building.

Now for what’s inside.

10199-03a.jpg

10199-03b.jpg

The contents of the box, no numbered bags here. At least it isn’t like the Merry-go-round!

Right lets take a look at the people who populate this happy land, a good selection and with women and children. Lego seem to be doing much better at producing a realistic world. The only points I dislike is a lack of printed torsos, though I suppose they’re trying to represent jumpers and cold weather gear.

10199-04.jpg

Here they are these hardly folks who like the snow and cold.

10199-05.jpg

A close up on the new carol singing face.

From this point the review divides in three to look at the three different elements that make up the set.

The Bench and Snow Man

Carol singers sing and a child prepares to throw a snow ball at them. The bench and snow man are well executed but nothing to write home about, what I really like in this part of the set is the lamppost which is really well done and probably the best I’ve seen.

gallery_2351_24_140655.jpg

Kids these days.

The Tree and Gifts

The tree is one of the really highlights of the set for me, its much better than any of the brick built trees we’ve had before in my opinion and the fact that a large amount of it can be rotated at will makes it all the better. The ladder stands up well and looks great, it also about time we saw more brown ladder as a castle fan this will no doubt soon be being used to scale the troll fortress.

10199-07.jpg

It’s one large tree and it even has lights.

The three gifts here are well made, the jack-in-a-box is the best offering here. I can’t decide what the third one is if it’s a teaddy or some form of robot any ideas?

10199-08.jpg

The three gifts, I assume bought from the toy shop.

The Toy Shop itself

So we come to the main even the toy shop itself. First the fact that Lego has decided to like the Café Corner range not have a stuff floor is good it gives an impression of a wooden floor.

10199-09.jpg

Nice use of tiles to make a wooden floor.

The build is fairly straight forwards thought the roof sections were a bit fiddeley for me, though that might just be me.

10199-10.jpg

Attaching the roof caused me some problems.

When it’s completed the sets looks simple picture postcard, I love the look of it and despite quite a high piece count it’s still not really very large so it haves a nice petite quality to it.

gallery_2351_24_97442.jpg

The front of house.

This however doesn’t reduce the detail the workbench inside has a toy car being worked on but the windows have these two great little micro creations.

10199-12.jpg

Great detail work makes this set for me.

Finally the much anticipated light, I personally don’t see the point in the picture below you can see in use. I wouldn’t have included it myself and I don’t this the set would suffer without it or that its that useful.

gallery_2351_24_278558.jpg

Did we need it?

All together now.

10199-14.jpg

All in all a great collection of winter fun.

The Rating System

Figures: 8/10 (Excellent selection, but could use more printed torsos )

Parts 9/10 (Great selection of parts and a lot of brown.)

Fun Fun Fun 8/10 (There’s a lot you can do even with just this one set which is more than can be said for so many of them)

Design 9.5/10 (Apart from the light brick which I think is unnecessary I wouldn’t change a thing)

Price 9/10 (At £39.15 it’s a steal I was expecting 50+ for this little number.)

Grand Total 43.5/50 (A high rating but a fine set deserves nothing less)

Conclusion.

As set that I’m happy to have in my hope, and I look forward to getting out my ‘Holiday’ train set from a few years ago and putting it along side. I hope we’ll see a few more winter buildings in the years to come though I don’t want to wait to long, hmm maybe a train station.

Edited by Cardinal Brick
Update review title

Thanks for this good and especially fast review! It gives a good impression of this winter set. :thumbup: I really like this set, the figures are very nice. The extras, like the bench with nice lamp posts and the big tree, make it a very nice scene all together. Very nice of LEGO to put in three normal christmas trees. The toy shop looks pretty good, better than I thought at first. It has very nice details, I especially like the chimney. I am wondering, can the light brick be lightened without pressing it? If not, then I also don't see the use of it. I'm not so fond of the light brick, they should have left it out so it could be a cheaper set.

So about the price, I'm glad it isn't very expensive. 60 euro is a pretty decent price for this amount of bricks, but it's a small set when you look at it. If it would have been 40-50 euro, like in 60 dollars ( :devil: , I should stop making comparisons with the two), I would have bought it right away. Now I'll have to think about it for a while. Thanks again for the review!

Good review, and indeed very very fast. Luckily it did not change my mind in buying this set. It is still a nice set, but not worth the money for me.

Btw, some of your pics are a bit blurry, possibly because you took them in the evening. It would be nice if you had the time to update some ot them.

That's a pretty cool set. It is good value (815 pcs. for $60 is really good :thumbup: )

Nice review CB - first to share. I definately plan on ordering, but haven't yet. So is the light up brick a single piece with a small battery? Would you mine sharing a close-up picture? I'd love to see it.

I love the kids, but I see what you mean about the non-printed torsos. Overall though, a very nice little set. I may have to break out the old Christmas train as well.

Cardinal Brick, thanks for sharing this review with us. It has been a long time since you last done one, and it's nice of you to do this within such short span of time. :wub:

This set is one of the sets that I am looking forward to, such as the minifigs, shop, parts, and more importantly lots Christmas fun in it. This review has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

Nice review CB - first to share. I definately plan on ordering, but haven't yet. So is the light up brick a single piece with a small battery? Would you mine sharing a close-up picture? I'd love to see it.

Yes, you are right Brickster. I own the Exo Force, Stealth Hunter, and it seemed to make up of the similar light brick. I wonder if there is any differences to it. The Exo Force light brick was red, but this seemed to be bright yellow.

Part Link

This review has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

Oh, he was just waiting for something to blog! :laugh:

Seriously, I must take a look at that light-up brick. I would love a few of these in the modular collection. I recently lit up my Cafe Corner with a few old 4.5V lights. They seem dim inside the large Cafe Corner.

Thanks for the review. I quite liked the shot of the shop's front window. Now I am sure I made the right choice in ordering this from Shop@home. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. :classic:

Thanks for this nice (and fast!) review! :wink: Can't wait to see more of those new light bricks, they can become a real revolution in Modular MOCing as The Brickster says :sweet:

Cardinal Brick, thanks for sharing this review with us. It has been a long time since you last done one, and it's nice of you to do this within such short span of time. :wub:

This set is one of the sets that I am looking forward to, such as the minifigs, shop, parts, and more importantly lots Christmas fun in it. This review has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

Yes, you are right Brickster. I own the Exo Force, Stealth Hunter, and it seemed to make up of the similar light brick. I wonder if there is any differences to it. The Exo Force light brick was red, but this seemed to be bright yellow.

Part Link

I bet the price of that light up brick will just keep going up and up and up.

Nice review, this is a set I wish I could buy, but I don't think the Misses would appreciate it.

Great review of a very nice set. I am going to get this set even tho it is expensive (in NZD terms) and test my paience by leaving it until Xmas day to build.

Great work Cardinal, thanks for such a quick review of a beautiful set. I think it falls into the category of a must buy for me. The shop is nicely built, the toys a re a creative touch and I like the new faces for the carolers.

Cheers

ISC

I just ordered this set yesterday and i can't wait for it. The shop looks amazing and very realistic looking. And the new minifigures are a great addition as well. Thanks for the nice review.

I'll get a few pics of the light brick tonight when I get home from work, it's much like the other 2x4 bricks with power functions applications from other sets.

Yes! As far as I know, this is the first set with dark green 2x4 plates! Perfect, it will finish up the Gordian Knot I've been working on. Great review, you just made me want it even more! I hope they get it on Amazon.co.uk, cause it's two times the cost here in Sweden.

Nice review. Thanks! I too rec'd the email and promptly ordered it and other things to take advantage of the free shipping. Can't wait to set it up!

Does the light stay on by itself (with a switch or something), or do you have to continually press it down?

m19

I'll get a few pics of the light brick tonight when I get home from work, it's much like the other 2x4 bricks with power functions applications from other sets.

Yes, in fact it's not a new piece, it was in the Agents Mobile Command Center according to Bricklink.

I bet the price of that light up brick will just keep going up and up and up.

I wouldn't be surprised. I am in love with this light already and I just got it last night. The red PF lights are okay, but they're not good for doing lights inside houses (though Dave and Stacey Sterling put them to great use in their World of Lights display at Brickworld this year). I want to make a whole winter village that lights up with these yellow lights. Simply delicious :sweet:

Thanks for the review. I was reading it on the bus last night on my way to the LEGO store and it certainly got me excited for it. I put it together last night and think it was a great build. Unlike some other sets, every part of the build was unique and interesting. great set (and decently priced in the states at least) :grin:

Great looking set. I plan to get in on Thursday in Munich LEGO shop. Does anyone know if it's available there?

Oh, and another thing... can someone please post a photo of the top side of the box where inventory is listed? I would like to see some nice numbers.

thanks

Thank you very much for this great review, Cardinal Brick! :thumbup:

I voted for

Outstanding :wub: :wub: :wub:

since this set is simply outstanding!

Cons:

-pilot's torso used for the singer (a complete black torso would have looked better - does the pilot have to earn some money with singing, too, since he gets that few money for flying planes?!) :sadnew:

-the small tools would have looked better than the big hammer (does the toy shop owner want to destroy or to repair the toys?!)

-too few candles and Christmas tree balls on the Christmas tree - it looks a bit empty! :thumbdown:

Pros:

-seven minifigs :thumbup:

-awesome exterior design :oh:

-many awesome looking toys :wub:

-brilliant interior :wub: (TLG even thought about including a cash point! :thumbup: )

(-possibly another winter set next year?! :cry_happy: )

It's great to see that TLG discovered the "winter theme" and I really hope that we'll see many more winter sets in the next years! :thumbup:

I plan to get in on Thursday in Munich LEGO shop. Does anyone know if it's available there?

If you want to I can call the Lego Store in Munich on Monday and then write you Monday evening whether it's available there.

But since it's already on S@H I can't imagine that it won't be there.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I'm going to buy this set together with Cafe Corner as soon as I have received my next monthly salary. I highly doubt that I'll leave the box of the Winter Toy Shop closed till Christiams. I'm pretty sure I'll open it when I have it. By the way, I find the Winter Toy Shop outstanding.