Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

'Behind The Helm' Episode #10 - Cutlass_Iz

behindthehelmet%20copy.png

Ahoy there scallywags, Episode #10 of 'Behind The Helm' is here! Filled with more audio goodness, I talk with Izzy 'Cutlass_Iz' Kilmartin. She tells us about the best places to buy LEGO in Australia, a new Pirate themed restaurant and makes a special announcement regarding her future involvement with 'Behind The Helm'. Enjoy ye scumbags!

Listen to 'Behind The Helm' Episode #10 - Cutlass_Iz

Download 'Behind The Helm' Episode #10 - Cutlass_Iz (Right click link and "Save target As...")

Contract mentioned in Episode #10 can be viewed here.

And what's more, Cutlass_Iz has written this whole interview out in text format! So if ye have any troubles with the download, here it is in text format:

Captain Zuloo: Hello, Welcome to this episode of Classic-Pirate.com ‘s ‘Behind the Helm’ I’m Connor Hicks, otherwise known as Captain Zuloo and joining me today is Izzy Kilmartin, otherwise known as Cutlass_Iz in the pirate forum.

So, Hello, how are you doing?

Cutlass_Iz: I’m good. Thanks.

Captain Zuloo: Can you tell us a little about you and how you got into LEGO, what started the hobby for you?

Cutlass_Iz: Well, like all of the lucky kids I had LEGO as a child, my brothers and sisters and I would save up all our little pennies and buy an impulse sets whenever we could. I would always buy pirates, my sister paradisa and my brothers City or Forestmen, so we had it all, and we got quite a good collection up. I never really stopped completely playing with LEGO, but it was always in the back of my mind, life just gets in the way you know. And I think it was in 2006 someone bought me Redbeards Pirate ship, the 4+ ship. I looked at the Minifigs on that and went “Eww! Oh dear!” I remembered all the real pirate Minifigs we had back home so I said, “Mum, I need the LEGO.” So we all sat down that night and went through the LEGO and picked out the Pirate Minifigs and I took them all back to my place and haven’t really looked back since then.

Captain Zuloo: Oh okay, what would you say was your first set? Do you remember that far?

Cutlass_Iz: I can’t be sure but one I do remember one of the first one’s was Castaway’s Raft, I got that when I was about 7 and it was like the ultimate thing for me getting three Minifigs and a shark all in one go.

Captain Zuloo: [laughs] Very nice, very nice. So do you have any favourite themes? I’m assuming Pirates would be one of them.

Cutlass_Iz: Yes, yes of course. Harry Potter is also another theme that I enjoy, I mean it’s Harry Potter and it’s LEGO. What’s more could you want you know? [laughs] I also like some of the new Indy sets but I just can’t afford them. …. Although, I did buy Ambush in Cairo today, so I… I’m getting there.

Captain Zuloo: That’s the problem with the Licensed Sets; they all carry a slightly higher price tag.

Cutlass_Iz: They do don’t they.

Captain Zuloo: so if Pirates is one of your favourite themes you must be pretty disappointed about LEGO discontinuing the Pirates theme again. What do you think of LEGO discontinuing Pirates again?

Cutlass_Iz: Yes, well the way I see it is it’s not going to happen tomorrow, so just um, enjoy it while it lasts I guess. And we can just hope once they hear how outraged all the fans are that they will rethink in a little while. I like what Captain Green Hair’s got on his signature. It says, “Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!” I really think that… you know, just double up on your sets and MOC people.

Captain Zuloo: Yeah, that’s probably true. My favourite Captain Green Hair quote would have to be, “LEGO from Bricklink comes in little plastic bags, and so do drugs!”

[both laugh]

Captain Zuloo: But um… No, I don’t think they were planning to discontinue it completely, just give it a bit if a break, so hopefully we’ll see some more sets in the next few years, it’s just a shame we won’t be getting any more next year.

So do you look up to anybody in the LEGO community in particular?

Cutlass_Iz: Well pretty much every AFOL who posts MOCs on Eurobricks and Classic-Pirates.com, there is so much talent out there, it wouldn’t be fair to just name a few…. On pain of death if I had to pick one I know right now I’d have to say Mark Larson - Hinckley. I just think he’s really, really impressive with the things he comes up with and his comics. So I do look up to him in particular.

Captain Zuloo: his Fabuland comics are quite entertaining. So er, what sort of music do you listen to?

Cutlass_Iz: Ah, pretty much everything, Alternative, a little bit of jazz, punk and rock some folk music. Lots of different things.

Captain Zuloo: So, Do you have any favourite artists?

Cutlass_Iz: All time favourites? Just to name a few, Camille, she’s French, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kings of Leon, the Subways, Neko Case, there’s some from every genre and country that I know. So varied… my tastes, I’d say.

Captain Zuloo: Other than listening to music, what do you do when you aren't building with LEGO?

Cutlass_Iz: I have a two year old, and she keeps me pretty busy, so that takes up most of my time, but I also enjoy painting and going to the gym, I wish at this point I could say drinking rum, because that would make me sound very Piratey, but that’s just not true.

Captain Zuloo: [laughs] I always tell people the correct word there is Piratical but I get told to shut up and get back in my box, and that Piratey is quite acceptable. So ah, whatever!

So, a two year old, I bet you’ll be getting her to start playing with LEGO in the near future?

Cutlass_Iz: Well, she does, she does, she plays with mine, unless I’m using it and I’m like “Don’t touch that one!” [laughs] She er, she calls is ‘Click’ because of how it clicks together. So she hasn’t quite mastered saying ‘LEGO’ yet.

Captain Zuloo: Er, Click’s good enough, so long as you know what it means. Where do you buy your LEGO?

Cutlass_Iz: Usually department stores, here in Australia Kmart and Big W are generally where I get it, but if I’m getting some online I usually get it from eBay or Toy Corner. The biggest haul of LEGO I ever got was 6 Harry Potter sets, I got that through just random way of searching for Harry Potter sets and this weird obscure website but I got six all at once so I was pretty happy with that.

Captain Zuloo: Oh yeah, that’s good news. When you go to department stores to buy your LEGO, do you use the whole I’m buying this for my kids’ technique?

Cutlass_Iz: No I never have, well I do have a kid now so they don’t really look at me sideways but before then, no, I didn’t. I’m not ashamed of my LEGO.

Captain Zuloo: I try to sell LEGO products to the person behind the counter. I tell them all about the new sets and how cool they are.

[both laugh]

Captain Zuloo: What do you think of LEGO now as opposed to what it was 10 years ago?

Cutlass_Iz: Um, I think it is really, they’ve been expanding with their ideas and creating themes for just about everyone now. I really like how they are doing that. And they have been really trying to connect with the current day. For example the Wind Turbine set that came out and some of the construction sets, that kids now days and adults as well can really relate to real life.

Captain Zuloo: Yeah okay, well I’m personally on the idea that Lego has actually gone downhill as far as parts, there has been some very interesting parts produced but you know, they are moving a lot towards stickers rather than printed parts.

Cutlass_Iz: Yes, that’s always a pain. I’m not too happy about that either.

Captain Zuloo: And they’re quite large too, there is only so many things that you can do with an aeroplane nosecone... [both laugh]

Cutlass_Iz: That’s when you really have to start to be creative I think. Don’t let that stop you from buying a particular set because it really exercises the creative parts of your brain if you say: “Well, what else CAN I do with this?”

Captain Zuloo: Ah yes, certainly. So where would you like to see LEGO go in to the future?

Cutlass_Iz: Well, to Australia quite frankly, [both laugh] I think it’s high time that we get a store down under. And a Legoland wouldn’t go astray either.

Captain Zuloo: Yes!!! Yes. That is so right! [laughs]

Cutlass_Iz: Let’s start a petition.

Captain Zuloo: We should, don’t know how far we’d get though. You have, you have a fairly big announcement to make about 'Behind The Helm'. Can you please tell everyone what that’s about?

Cutlass_Iz: Yeah I can actually, I am pleased (and honoured) to announce that I have signed my lifeblood over to ‘Behind The Helm’. I am now at the mercy of Captain Zuloo, and I’ll be helping him out with interviews and such in the future. What exactly is my title? I’m not your secretary am I?

Captain Zuloo: I’m not sure yet, I was thinking Bilge Rat, or Slave…

Cutlass_Iz: What have I got myself into?

Captain Zuloo: [laughs] And you have the contract, which I’ll post for all to see in the thread that this interview is on. :devil:

Cutlass_Iz: Yes, excellent.

Captain Zuloo: As is seems to be a tradition… where did your screen name "Cutlass_Iz" come from?

Cutlass_Iz: A long time ago I was trying to think of a pirate name for myself as I was dreaming up plans to open the first Pirate restaurant in Australia. This still might happen one day, so don’t laugh, and I came up with Cutlass_Iz so I used it again when I joined up, because I was joining up because of Lego pirates. So I thought it would be fitting.

Captain Zuloo: I think it might be New Zealand actually; but there is a very nice Pirate themed restaurant.

Cutlass_Iz: Yes, the first for Australia though. It was going to be, well, still might be called Mutiny.

Captain Zuloo: So how far into the future do you see that as being?

Cutlass_Iz: Very! Very far into the future. Probably once my child has finished school. She can help me.

Captain Zuloo: Perhaps it should be Pirate Lego rather than just Pirates.

Cutlass_Iz: Yeah, maybe. We’ll see. It can be part of Legoland Australia.

Captain Zuloo: [laughs] Very nice. Okay… well thanks very much for joining me and I’ll be talking to you more in the future. And er, Cutlass_Iz didn’t mention it earlier but she has volunteered to write out painstakingly, all of the interviews in text format for those of you who have trouble with downloading files or anything like that. Goodness knows so long it will be before she gets sick of that. There is a reason why I didn’t volunteer to do it. [laughs] So we’ll see how that goes as well. So Thanks very much for joining me and for volunteering to help us out with ‘Behind the Helm’. We’ll see you guys later for episode 11 of Classic-Pirates.com’s ‘Behind the Helm’. Seeya!

Aye, be checkin back next week for Episode #11! :pir-wink:

What an interesting interview Zuloo :thumbup:.

Also well done to Cutlass_Iz fro writing out the whole interview into text.

Very nice to hear from our favourite ''all Lego pirate product'' reviewer. :pir_laugh2:

This is a great format to read and the content is really entertaining, keep it upo guys!

Now where can i send the invoice for using my quotes? :pir-grin:

A very enjoyable interview. I must admit I like these audio interviews much more than the written ones. I can listen to them when doing some building which is really nice.

You have a very enjoyable voice Miss Iz. I'm sure the two of you will spoil us with some very interesting interviews. I'm looking forward to them!

Another great interview! The audio really does make it a lot better, much more interesting. :pir-classic:

Zuloo, do you think shortening the music by about 10 seconds would be a good idea? It seems a bit long...

That was great :thumbup:

You have a deep voice for a 15 years of age Zuloo, Ya sound like a 20 year old.

Good work on the typing Cutlass_IZ.

Edited by Ratshot

Zuloo, do you think shortening the music by about 10 seconds would be a good idea? It seems a bit long...

Now that i have heard the audio version, i agree that it might be a good idea to have a bit shorter, catchy tune.

Perfect interview! It is even better then text interviews. I think Cutlass Iz is a nice and helpful person to have around. :pir-classic:

Great job again guys! Keep the job up! :thumbup:

Now I'm eager to hear the next episode! :pir_laugh2:

Actually, the Long John Silver sea food restaurant chain opened a restaurant in Kings Park, Sydney, however they closed it in 2007 due to poor sales.

So a Pirate themed restaurant has been attempted in Australia but unfortunately did not succeed. Obviously because the franchisee didn't consult Classic-Pirates.com on how to make a pirate theme venture succeed. :pir-grin:

Also well done to Cutlass_Iz fro writing out the whole interview into text.

Thanks Skipper! It's my pleasure. :pir-blush: Anything I can do to help out. It's about time too I think. Hehe!

Now where can i send the invoice for using my quotes? :pir-grin:

I was told C-P.com would foot the bill for that. Haha! :pir_laugh2:

A very enjoyable interview. I must admit I like these audio interviews much more than the written ones. I can listen to them when doing some building which is really nice.

You have a very enjoyable voice Miss Iz. I'm sure the two of you will spoil us with some very interesting interviews. I'm looking forward to them!

Thanks Bonaparte. I'm glad my voice is not too grating on the nerves. (I'm not so fond of it myself :pir-sceptic: )

Good work on the typing Cutlass_IZ.

Cheers! :pir-sweet:

Perfect interview! It is even better then text interviews. I think Cutlass Iz is a nice and helpful person to have around. :pir-classic:

Great job again guys! Keep the job up! :thumbup:

Now I'm eager to hear the next episode! :pir_laugh2:

Aww you're very sweet Henk. I'm not so eager to hear it :pir-hmpf_bad: ... I stumbled over every question.

Actually, the Long John Silver sea food restaurant chain opened a restaurant in Kings Park, Sydney, however they closed it in 2007 due to poor sales.

So a Pirate themed restaurant has been attempted in Australia but unfortunately did not succeed. Obviously because the franchisee didn't consult Classic-Pirates.com on how to make a pirate theme venture succeed. :pir-grin:

Dangit Phes, :pir-oh3: I'll just have to open the first 'successful' Pirate Restaurant in Australia. (I have a feeling I'm going to have to narrow that down to Queensland or Brisbane by the time I get onto it.)

Start with Brisbane, then conquer Brisbane, then the rest of Australia, then the entire world! Mwuahahahahaha! :pir-skull:

Australians talk funny. I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

That's it! You're next buddy! And I'll ask complicated questions so you have to talk for aaaages. Mwauhahahaha! :pir-skull:

(To tell you the honest truth. I'm surprised anyone else can understand us actually. Especially people with English as their second language.)

Says you, Mister "I talk like a pirate on Skype"... :pir_wacko:

And just for anyone who doesn't know, Mister Phes is an Aussie too. :pir-wink:

I talk like a pirate on Skype"... :pir_wacko:

You don't sound anything like a pirate during those interviews :pir_wacko::pir-tongue:

Y'a sound like an Auzzie to me.

Another great interview. Thanks for puting these together and sharing a little about yourselves. Its always fun to read and now even more fun to hear a little about the people behind the screen names.

Great interview, and thanks Iz for volunteering! :thumbup:

Australian accents crack me up :pir-laugh:

Got a question of my own: What do you think of the Durmstrang ship? (Pirates + HP) Would "North Sea" pirates appeal to you?

Great interview, and thanks Iz for volunteering! :thumbup:

Australian accents crack me up :pir-laugh:

Got a question of my own: What do you think of the Durmstrang ship? (Pirates + HP) Would "North Sea" pirates appeal to you?

I think they made it a little too much like the movie (unrealistic) I had done a mod of it in the past to remove some of the silly colours ...

972172c0.jpg

But I think if TLG came up with a slightly MODded Piratical version of it using the hull, that would definitely appeal to me. :pir-sweet: