Sign in to follow this  
pedro

Yavin IV 'sketch'

Would you buy this Yavin IV set if it were released?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the following options...

• Absolutely, it looks awesome!
    • Definately, but after some minor design tweaks.
    • Yes, but it'd need a lot of work.
    • I'd like a Yavin IV set - just not this.
    • No, not really interested.

I actually like that x-wing, which surprises me since I normally don't appreciate the midscale stuff much.

The rest of the set is clearly not something they considered for more than 10 seconds. Multiple baseplates, 14 figures, very few action features for the kind of set it is, no chance in the world. Throne room? Exterior of the pyramid? Nope, not happening.

That said, it's definitely a nice source of inspiration for some Yavin IV mocs. I kind of like the general idea of the hangar and at least the idea behind most of the other areas.

I'll also agree that a book of just prototype sets, historical rarities and abandoned ideas would be great. :sweet:

Well the Visual Dictionary states that they never truly abandon an idea.

A set (like this one) may not be put into production, but the sketches, ideas and prototypes are all stored.

Who knows, maybe one day they'll decide to put this into production after all?

Well the Visual Dictionary states that they never truly abandon an idea.

A set (like this one) may not be put into production, but the sketches, ideas and prototypes are all stored.

Who knows, maybe one day they'll decide to put this into production after all?

So very true! This picture was from a lego magazine around 2001 and way before the actual 2006 UCS Vader's TIE actually came out.

tie1.jpg

So very true! This picture was from a lego magazine around 2001 and way before the actual 2006 UCS Vader's TIE actually came out.

tie1.jpg

5 years, that's reassuring. :grin:

This is really nice.

Obviously this is one of the designs TLC came up with when they asked people to vote for which set they wanted made.

People voted for the Mon Calamari Cruiser so they got rid of this.

Only if people had voted for the Yavin base. :cry_sad:

I would prefare this to the Cruiser set.

This is really nice.

Obviously this is one of the designs TLC came up with when they asked people to vote for which set they wanted made.

People voted for the Mon Calamari Cruiser so they got rid of this.

Only if people had voted for the Yavin base. :cry_sad:

I would prefare this to the Cruiser set.

Um, Yarvin base was never in the voting spectrum :sceptic:

It was only Slave 1 on landing pad, Palpitines arrest, or Home One (which won)

This must have been a pure prototype, no backing whatsoever.... I may have to MOC one similar to this i reckon.

This would be a great set and I think that Lego has a great start here. I believe that the outside of the base, or the temple, needs be bee tweaked some.

Heya,

well, this definitely is a playset. And it looks ncie, I have to admit. However, I am wondering, if the the can do a miDi TIE Advanced for the DeathStar set which can fit in a minifigure, why can't they make a miDi X-Wing for also a minifigure. It's kinda odd seeing the engineers around that closed and sealed canopy. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

That's a great and very interesting topic, pedro! :thumbup:

I saw this picture in the book, too, and asked myself why TLG did not release this awesome set. Of course it would need a bit improvement before being released - but then I surely would buy it since we really need a Yavin 4 Base!

So I voted for

Definately, but after some minor design tweaks.

-the interior needs some improvement: some more details like screens

-the control room with the round screen of Yavin 4 and the appearing DS is missing!

-a small transport vehicle and some cargo stuff and tools are needed

-the X-Wing should be exactly the same like the last S@H version from 2006(?) but Red-One marked

-abolutely necessary new minifigs for this set: Commander ? , Red Leader, fleesh Biggs Darklighter and Rebel Engineer (2x) with white helmet

-other minifigs: Luke (pilot outfit) and Rebel (for the control room)

Imo TLG could pass on the last scenery where Han and Luke get their prices. Of course this would really be a pity - but it would make the set much cheaper since there are minimum three less minifigs needed (Han, Luke and Leia) plus one big room.

I could well imagine some sort of Mon Calamari styled Yavin 4 Base with hangar with X-Wing, control room and briefing room.

I really hope that TLG will release a set similar to this one in 2011 (for the supposable end of Lego SW) since we really need a decent Yavin 4 Base!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I like the model a lot, especially that Midi-esque X-Wing, but I would prefer a Yavin set that was based on the hanger and control room. Maybe with a view-screen of the Death Star plans leading into the hanger. But with the recent availability of the X-wing, I'd much rather see a Y-Wing included.

The ceremony room would be neat, but I'd rather TLG not re-release the Ceremony Luke minifigure. I love that it's exclusive to the Visual Dictionary, and it'd be nice to have it stay that way rather than it become just another minifig.

I think the exterior needs some slopes. That's what I don't like about the Death Star play set: it's too blocky. I'm happy with the X-wing. The TIE Advanced in the Death Star isn't full scale either. :wink:

So, for me the main work that has to be done are the slopes.

@Klaus-Dieter: I think there is a screen with the Death Star actually. Right under the ceremony hall.

Edited by Richie