Emperor Claudius Rome

History thread

Does anyone Re-Enact Historical battles or armies?

Im hoping to in future (When I have enough money) I want to join a hobby of Re-enacting.

I saw this list of Wehrmacht Re-enactment groups and found a good looking group called GrossDeutschland

Does anyone else Re-enact? Any era? It would be good if we had some UK re-enactors here!

Edited by Joey Lock

Im hoping to in future (When I have enough money) I want to join a hobby of Re-enacting.

I saw this list of Wehrmacht Re-enactment groups and found a good looking group called GrossDeutschland.

Does anyone else Re-enact? Any era? It would be good if we had some UK re-enactors here!

Well, not very much.

I do have a medieval costume that I use during the annual medieval festival week in Visby, Sweden. But I'm not part of any re-enactment group or something like that. I don't think re-enactment is very big in my country but the interest for history is so I might be wrong.

I love history, enspecially Ww 1 and 2. I have a quickly increasing collection of war movies and books, including the famed The Great Escape and Tora Tora Tora.

I am currently writing a war trilogy about the battle of Africa during WW2. I plan to publish it someday. It's acctually pretty good so far.

Do you know who discovered North America was it Amerigo Vesspuci, Leaf Erikson, Columbus, or John Cabot?

I just went to the United States Capital and they had a Timeline of American History and it portrait Columbus discovering America in 1492 but I thought he laned in the Carribean If some one would anwser my question it would be a big help.

Any Way I am Amazed by History of all sorts especially Greek, United States, and WW I and II. Also General European

It was Amerigo Vesspuci. He didn't know it was a new continent but the map maker named it after him. Thus the name America. The map maker's name was Marty or Martin Vaultamueller (sp)

Do you know who discovered North America was it Amerigo Vesspuci, Leaf Erikson, Columbus, or John Cabot?

I just went to the United States Capital and they had a Timeline of American History and it portrait Columbus discovering America in 1492 but I thought he laned in the Carribean If some one would anwser my question it would be a big help.

Any Way I am Amazed by History of all sorts especially Greek, United States, and WW I and II. Also General European

Well, the native Americans were the first people to come to the American continent. When is however a very debated question amongst archaeologists, the first people might have come as early as 40 000 years ago but the habitation weren't widespread until 16 000 - 13 000 years ago.

If we shall discuss who the first person from Europe that discovered the North American continent it can be a little complicated too.

Leif Ericson, the Norse explorer, was the first one to set foot on the continent in Newfoundland in 1002 or 1003 AD. But he only did that because he had gotten information from another Norse, Bjarni Herjólfsson, who had sighted land southwest of Greenland when he had been blown of course by a storm in year 986. Bjarni never landed on the new land because he was eager to continue his journey to his parents on Greenland, But you can say that he (and his crew) was the first Europeans that saw the North American continent.

The Viking settlement in Newfoundland only remained for a couple of years and there were never any big scale colonization. Back in Europe little information about the new land was known and no one really cared :tongue: The main interest amongst the ruling families in Europe was to control their own lands, go on crusades and import luxury products from the Orient. That last reason was the one that got the age of exploration to begin later at the end of the Middle Ages.

Christopher Columbus' discovery of the Caribbean and the mainland (Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama) was a very important event since it triggered the whole colonization of the American continent. It's true that Columbus himself never believed that he had found a new continent (thought he had come to East Asia), but explorers that came after him could soon realise that it was a whole new world :wink:

Amerigo Vespucci is the person that has given name to the continent (originally only the South Americas) and it might be so that he was the first European to discover the mainland of what we call today the United States of America. Before Vespucci did his more famous journeys to South America he did a journey in 1497-1498 when he might have explored the coast between Yucatan to Florida, but the information is very hard to interpret and might be false. If it's true however, Amerigo Vespucci discovered the land of today's USA just about one week before John Cabot, the Italian explorer working for England.

So, choose which one you want, no one is wrong as long as you can explain why you choose him. :wink:

Sorry about the long answer but these things are complicated (and therefore more interesting too :grin: )

As a side note it can be worth mentioning that it's very possible that fishermen and sailors from Europe's western countries, e.g. Ireland and Portugal, were blown of course to the Americas now and then during the Middle Ages, but no one paid attentions to their stories since they were just people without any power.

I wonder, would The Beatles count as history? :grin::laugh:

Seriously though, something I've always wondered was, what if Alexander the Great had taken over India and invaded China? Would it have been a success, or would they have been forced out?

I saw this list of Wehrmacht Re-enactment groups and found a good looking group called GrossDeutschland.

I re-enact colonial era. I find it a fun (and expensive) hobby. Other people should really try it out.

Please let us know when you've uploaded more pictures of your collection, it's really interesting to watch :classic: .

I have updated it with some new things Here, if you all are still interested.

Very nice! The German helmet`s condition is remarkable! :classic:

Edited by General Redwater

Loving the 2nd Class Iron Crosses!

How did you get the Tank Shell? :sceptic:

Thanks General and Joey. I bought the shell from an antique store big enough to be considered a warehouse. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for it, but I couldn't resist.

Thanks General and Joey. I bought the shell from an antique store big enough to be considered a warehouse. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for it, but I couldn't resist.

Thanks for showing off your collection. It's really awesome, even though I don't know what half of it is yet. But my class starts the World Wars soon.

Wow, Long time no talk!

Anywho, I've been looking around for Replicas and have found a Airsoft Kar98k with a Shell Ejecting system for $110, Thats only £75! Its full size and everything! Only problem that burst my bubble is...UK Laws.

You have to be a member of some UKARA and be joined to airsoft group e.t.c, Just for customs to let it into the country! So once I get a message back from the UK Airsoft forums, I'll know whether or not I can buy it without hassle.

Anywho, Does anyone know where I can get a Cheap replica WWII Weapon like The Who's stuff but something under £100? Old Militaria rifles are like £300, Blank firers need a liscene, they are £200 and Airsoft that needs a confirmation are under £100. But is there a one it the middle? I bolt action replica thats cheap, easy to buy and looks like real thing?

I don`t know where you can get a gun under that price, but in, the U.S. a person can buy a Airsoft gun without a license. The local police don`t like that, but some people I know have airsoft guns without permits; because it`s not against the law.

Edited by General Redwater

I don`t know where you can get a gun under that price, but in the U.S. a person can buy a Airsoft gun without a license. The local police don`t like that, but many people I know have airsoft guns without permits, because it`s not against the law.

Yeah I know about the USA laws. In the UK, It used to be like that, Until around 2005-2006 some stupid teenagers got one a shot at some people, they called the police, then some people carryed one around in public to look "hard" infront of his mates, they went to court, banned general sale of firearms, now we all cant get one unless we a part of Re-enactment groups, museums and BB groups e.t.c.

Yeah I know about the USA laws. In the UK, It used to be like that, Until around 2005-2006 some stupid teenagers got one a shot at some people, they called the police, then some people carryed one around in public to look "hard" infront of his mates, they went to court, banned general sale of firearms, now we all cant get one unless we a part of Re-enactment groups, museums and BB groups e.t.c.

That really stinks. :angry: Are you thinking about joining a group?

That really stinks. :angry: Are you thinking about joining a group?

I'm only 16 and you have to be 18 to join a group, go to at least 3 events over a 2 month period, then apply to the group, then able to buy. That will take at least a year, I wanted this simply for my Birthday.

The only things I can do are:

1. Get a UK Airsoft member to buy it for me, then I pay him a little extra for the trouble and buy it.

2. Try and find a Two-toned Green and Orange coloured Kar98k and then paint the metal parts black and get a new wooden casing.

3. Save up for a £200 De-activated old one.

4. Give up and hate this countrys laws.

Or,

5. Move to the USA where we aren't so uptight about gun laws.

Or,

5. Move to the USA where we aren't so uptight about gun laws.

Not exactly a possibility for me, because once I am 18 I might join a Re-enactment group and start earning money to buy a real blank firer or apply for a BB Group, so theres no real point. I just wanted nice replica Kar98 for my wall, But thats too much to ask of the UK.

Not exactly a possibility for me, because once I am 18 I might join a Re-enactment group and start earning money to buy a real blank firer or apply for a BB Group, so theres no real point. I just wanted nice replica Kar98 for my wall, But thats too much to ask of the UK.

I`m part of a Re-enactment group, and we`re able to buy without a permit; but since it is a Colonial era group, they are smoothbore muskets, not Kar98`s.

I`m part of a Re-enactment group, and we`re able to buy without a permit; but since it is a Colonial era group, they are smoothbore muskets, not Kar98`s.

Also your in the USA. So it's quite diffrent. One person accidently shoots a BB, Every single BB gun in the entire UK is watched and restricted to certain things. In the US, One person shoots a BB, Someone laughs. Very diffrent! :laugh:

Anywho, This isn't really historical anymore, But I wanted to kick start this and the Car Talk thread again.

Anywho, This isn't really historical anymore, But I wanted to kick start this and the Car Talk thread again.

I don't think you can kick start histroy. Not without a shiny DeLorean, anyways.

I don't think you can kick start histroy. Not without a shiny DeLorean, anyways.

and 1.21 gigawatts!

ok back on subject of history I've always been interested in the Romanovs and also in us history the assassination of William McKinley...what do you guys think of these?

Anywho, This isn't really historical anymore, But I wanted to kick start this

Please, I found that topic and I'm really interesstet in it, because I'm studying History at the university right now... :thumbup:

Maybe I can learn something from you all. :classic: