Emperor Claudius Rome

History thread

All you historians on EB, this is the thread for you! A topic to discuss history, all eras, all events. And if your not entirely sure about an event, ask someone here, and hopefully you'll get an answer.

Now, who will start of this great discussion of the past?

Edited by Emperor Claudius Rome

I love History. German, in particular.

To start off with a question:

Was Auschwitz (spelling?) ever demolished, or is the 'camp' still standing? I heard somewhere they were tearing the place down, but I don't remember where.

I love History. German, in particular.

To start off with a question:

Was Auschwitz (spelling?) ever demolished, or is the 'camp' still standing? I heard somewhere they were tearing the place down, but I don't remember where.

The nazis demolished the gaz chambers to erease any proof, but they have been rebuilded after (for visitors of course :sadnew: ).

The SS in Auschwitz tried to destroy the main evidence of the crimes by blowing up the gas chambers in Auschwitz-Birkenau, but most of the rest of the buildings are still standing, including the gas chambers of the first camp (Auschwitz I).

EDIT: Beaten by Ezechielle :blush:

Btw, good topic, Emperor Claudius Rome! :thumbup:

I'm really interested in history (and prehistory) and would enjoy some nice discussions :classic: Who knows, we might actually learn something too :tongue:

Did anyone hear about the gold treasure an amateur archaeologist found in England recently? It's reported that it's even bigger than the famous Sutton Hoo treasure!

Edited by Etzel

Did anyone hear about the gold treasure an amateur archaeologist found in England recently? It's reported that it's even bigger than the famous Sutton Hoo treasure!

Yeah, that's an awesome accomplishment.

Edit: Anyways, a question I have is: Which nomadic tribe finally brought down the Western Roman Empire? I think it might have been the Ostrogoth's, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Emperor Claudius Rome

Yeah, that's an awesome accomplishment.

Edit: Anyways, a question I have is: Which nomadic tribe finally brought down the Western Roman Empire? I think it might have been the Ostrogoth's, but I'm not sure.

I thought it was the Visigoths, though they all came from the same group I believe. I used to know a lot about ancient Roman history back when I took Latin in high school, but unfortunately it's gotten pretty murky since then. I still enjoy listening about them though, it must have been amazing (both in a good and bad way :tongue: )living during that time period.

Difficult to answer that question. It depends on when we consider that the Western Roman Empire brought down?

If we go by the date of the 4th september 476 when the last emperor was deposed then it wasn't any nomadic tribe at all but the own Roman army with it's general Odovacar. Odovacar himself was a foederati, from a barbaric tribe in service of the Roman army. Which tribe isn't sure but most likely Scirii or Heruli.

The Ostrogoths didn't invade Italy until 488, encouraged by the Eastern Roman Emperor then felt threatened (or just jealous) of Odovacar.

Difficult to answer that question. It depends on when we consider that the Western Roman Empire brought down?

If we go by the date of the 4th september 476 when the last emperor was deposed then it wasn't any nomadic tribe at all but the own Roman army with it's general Odovacar. Odovacar himself was a foederati, from a barbaric tribe in service of the Roman army. Which tribe isn't sure but most likely Scirii or Heruli.

The Ostrogoths didn't invade Italy until 488, encouraged by the Eastern Roman Emperor then felt threatened (or just jealous) of Odovacar.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Etzel :thumbup: .

Yeah it was the Ostrogoths. It's been along time since I've thoguh about my little Millitary History obession. :grin: I have Time warner cable and they added a Millitary History channel. :wub: I believe it's channel 138 if you're onterested.

I am going to go and see it on Saturday :classic:. Me and my friends are in Birmingham for the day, and the museum is displaying some of it (until 13th October).

Has anyone around here ever been to the pyramids in Bosnia Herzegovina?

I'd love to know if it's merely a scam or if there is some truth to it.

bosnian_pyramid6.jpg

BosnianPyramids4.jpg

This would surely mess up our current idea of history :laugh:

What amazes me the most, is that he had been scanning that particular field for years. (at least that is what my news paper said) So he must have known there was something to find. And if so, how did he know? Are there some documents regarding that field?

Edited by Teddy

It's a scam al'right :sick:

Some wacko claimed to have found large boulders that were not natural and after that it all went crazy. "Prehistoric" inscriptions that was carved actually carved in by the excavators, theories about that all the worlds great pyramids were built by the same peoples and lots of pseudo-scientific crap. The current excavation even threatens some medieval remains in the area.

But it's a nice natural formation, :thumbup:

What amazes me the most, is that he had been scanning that particular field for years. (at least that is what my news paper said) So he must have known there was something to find. And if so, how did he know? Are there some documents regarding that field?

I think I read that it was found on the land of a friend of his so maybe it was because of that he was searching there. I don't know about the law in England but I don't think you can walk around with metal detectors on someone's property without any permission.

You need permission from the landowner, be it private or public. You must report any find that could be classed as treasure and it is illegal to conceal the site from authorities.

I think they had been searching the site for a few weeks on and off but not found anything until the treasure.

Who knows, we might actually learn something too :tongue:
I did! :grin:
Heard about it, and either he knew something nobody elsae did or that was an awful lucky find.

Looks like some crap if you ask me. :laugh:
You need permission from the landowner, be it private or public. You must report any find that could be classed as treasure and it is illegal to conceal the site from authorities.
Laws vary from place to place.

Here in the USA, South Carolina in particular, it goes to say that if you found it and nobody is around to claim it then it's yours.

Here in the USA, South Carolina in particular, it goes to say that if you found it and nobody is around to claim it then it's yours.

"Wow, someone left a car here!"

"Does this belong to anyone? - No?"

"Wooopiee, I now own a car!!"

:hmpf: America

:tongue:

"Wow, someone left a house here!"

"Hello, is anyone home and can I have this?"

"Hellooooo...."

Now I understand why you desperately need the right to bear arms :laugh:

Just kidding, let's not get political because of this little friendly joke.

Now I understand why you desperately need the right to bear arms :laugh:

Who needs bear arms?

dave_bear.jpg

:tongue:

Just kidding. I think Booger was exaggerating a bit about that. I know it's not like that here in Canada.

"Wow, someone left a car here!"

"Does this belong to anyone? - No?"

"Wooopiee, I now own a car!!"

Dude, where's my car?

Back on topic, I like history, although I don't have it in school till next semester. :hmpf_bad:

This thread is just what I have been looking for! I love History but my friends think its too boring. I especially love WWII and Napoleonic history.

You guys seenthis? The biggest haul of Anglo-Saxon treasure found in Staffordshire.

_46432062_3931743026_62797b2e0d_o.jpg

Over 1,300 gold and silver items where found. Bigger than the Sutton Hoo items excavated in 1939. :thumbup:

Im guessing we are not allowed to talk about the Nazi's in WWII discussion or not?

Im guessing we are not allowed to talk about the Nazi's in WWII discussion or not?

Why not? It's important to discuss and talk about it so something similar won't happen again. We must learn from our history.

We can't just not talk about something because we fear offending people. If nobody ever mentions the events that take place, it's more likely to happen again, as Etzel said.

Why not? It's important to discuss and talk about it so something similar won't happen again. We must learn from our history.

It's history, it's happened. Nothing we can do about it. I did have a family member die in WWII. Some kids drew Swatchkas when I was in school. That bothers me. Dicussing history doesn't.

While were on the Topic of the Anglo-Saxons, why were the Romano-British kings dumb enough to allow the Saxons to settle in Britain. And did king Arthur really exist? So much stuff to talk about. :sweet:

I have no idea why the Romano-British Kings agreed. There is some proof Arthur did exsit but nothing definate. If I gave you the impression that I only knew Milliary History I also know other things. I know more Millitary History though. I'm enjoying this topic. Great idea!

This is a great topic, the Anglo Saxon hoard is particulary interesting. I am sure in time much will be gained by the study of these artefacts. And whilst this metal detectorist did report his find, you have to wonder how many others would not report a treasure such as this, to sell on to the black market in antiquities?

While were on the Topic of the Anglo-Saxons, why were the Romano-British kings dumb enough to allow the Saxons to settle in Britain. And did king Arthur really exist? So much stuff to talk about. :sweet:

There is much debate about the final scenes of Roman Britain. It is certain that the province, along with the rest of the Western Empire, had come under pressure from 'barbarian' attack during the 3rd century. In Britain a series of forts were built along the south eastern coast, 'forts of the saxon shore', to counter the threat of Germanic raiders. It is also possible that Saxon mercanaries were employed in an attempted rebellion, against Rome, by an ambitous Roman commander in the mid 4th century, perhaps these were the first to be invited into Britain to fight for gold?

Towards the end of the 4th/ early 5th centuries it seems that the British Provinces had turned chaotic, with repeated rebellion away from Rome instigated by various provincial governers and generals, and that much of the 'Roman' infrastructure was already in an advanced state of decay.

It is likely that Saxons were hired as mercenaries, to fight against rival Romano British factions, and to provide defence against the continued sea raids. But in addition to these mercanary soldiers it is also likely that many were peacefull traders, and farmers, who would pose no threat to indiginous Romano British society. My personal interpretation of the period would see a general chaos set in during the 4th century, as the province of Roman Britain begins to fall apart. Into this arrive the Angles, the Saxons, and the Jutes, as both peacefull settlers and warbands (although there is no evidence for widespread war or ethnic cleansing). A degree of conflict, togethor with gradual cultural assimilation, as the four strands (Romano British/ Saxon/ Angle/ Jute) come togethor in a melting pot of cultural diversity, to emerge during the early 7th (possibly much earlier in the light of a certain recent discovery?), as the first English kingdoms.

This does not really answer the question, as so much is not yet certain, but in general the first Saxons are likely to have been mercanary soldiers, togethor with peacefull settlers, welcomed by the Romano British warlord currently enjoying a run of good luck. During next two centuries of chaos they mixed in with numerous other North European settlers, and the native British, to form the basis of English society.

As for Arthur, with no archaeological evidence or historical sources, it is not possible to prove his existence, absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence, he may well have been an actual historical figure, a Romano British warlord.

But it is much more likely that he is an amalgamation of numerous characters, who would have existed in between the 5th/ 7th centuries. So no, he probably did not exist, although he might be based on a mixture of historical characters.

Edited by mikey

You may discuss almost anything here, as long as it's history related.

WW2 is accepted as long as it doesn't turn political or religious for that sake.