Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Maulfair

What Men Love

Hey Matthew, your roof is outstanding! Great job! :pir-classic:

Although it seems your deeplinked image didn't work. Try this BBCode:

[img=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/3967896786_7681186da5.jpg]

And this should be a Medium category entry, not small. :pir-wink:

I've changed the title for you. :pir-classic:

Zuloo's got it right with the code, just edit your post with that and you're good to go.

A very good MOC! I really like the detailed roof, the double-hook double-peg-leg pirate, and the way you made a stand for repairing the musket! :pir-classic:

However, here are some things I think need to happen;

*Smooth plates should be added to the dock to add extra realism. If you ran out of them, you may have to replace the smooth plates on the roof with black slope bricks or some kind of substitute.

*Angle the Minifigures so that they are facing the front of the viewer a bit more.

Edited by Bricknave

Great entry.

I am in love with your roof. I'd hate to see you change that later on in the PTVII contest. It is very special and people will remember it.

I like how simple this entry is, yet you've created some great stuff - the roof, the musket repairing device, the tan dock with the beautiful water below - This is definitely something I think people (the ones who will vote) will notice, and also remember, which is extremely important in this kind of tough competition.

I love your tan dock, but as someone suggested it will certainly look even better with brown tiles functioning as planks.

I've been working on a completely black dock, and throughout my building, I've thought of the black colour as being made from lots and lots of thick tar.

So if you've got a lot of black tiles, maybe you could replace the otherwise lovely tan dock, with a dock painted in thick black tar. I love the black shiny look, and if you take some good pictures, I think it will look really great right in front of the white house.

Could you add a story behind "What Men Love" - what is it that they love? - If you come up with a great story, it will only serve as an even better reminder for the people who cast their votes at the end of this contest.

I hope you can use some of my suggestions - but if not - then just remember that I really like your entry as it is. Good job

Edited by Lorentzen

I really really love your roof. This is the stronges esset of your MOC. What do men love? I'm not sure, but looking at your MOC I guess the answere is guns, booze and ugly bar maids?

Things I would change:

- Make a prettier bar maiden

- I'd use SNOT water like shown in this MOC: Linky linky

- I'd use bricks to build the bar in stead of those large panels. Using those panels looks good on the outside, but a little bit iffy on the inside.

- I love the tan dock, but maybe you could use plates to cover up the studs. This makes it look like the dock was made of wooden planks.

You got a good thing going on, but there's still some rome for improvement.

~Badboy

- I'd use SNOT water like shown in this MOC: Linky linky

Tiled water here is fine. SNOT water is overrated. Hell; tiled water here gives him more opportunity to put in a couple of white cheese slopes in, for waves breaking against the dock.

Good work on this MOC! Did anyone mention the nice roof you have made? :pir-laugh: For the rest, the minifigs look nice and I also like the soldier who's making bread (at least, I hope so, otherwise I didn't see it right). I agree with the others that tiles would look better on the dock, but on the other hand that makes it very hard to place minifigs on it (but that's also a nice challenge).

For the rest I miss the details. Some weapons or flowers would look nice on this too. And I didn't really see how this MOC refers to the title. But anyway, for the rest it's a nice thing with very nice minifigs :pir-classic:

I like the title, (and guns and women) but overall the scene looks a little barren. Like others have said the dock would look better with tiles. I also think the inside would look better with real bricks for walls, giving you a chance to add shelves or something else for decoration, and the pirate outside looks a little odd with two peg legs (I'm not sure how he would balance :pir_laugh2: ) I do like the use of tiles for water here though and the very detailed roof. If you brought the rest of the MOC to the same level of detail as the roof the whole thing would be stunning.

Nice job on the medium entry! The only thing I would add is some more detail to the dock / sidewalk in front of the bar. Maybe some bushes or plants under the windows, some brown / black tiling, maybe a street lamp or a couple candles / lamps at the ends of the piers, and some white tiles mixed in with the blue for the water to indicate waves crashing against the dock! :pir-sweet:

Thanks for fixing the title and picture! And everyone, if you check out the set on flickr, there are more photos. And it isn't a "musket repairing device" It's a musket with a bipod and grip. They are showing off their guns. I have already taken it apart.

Spanking job on the roof! There is little I have to add, Matt. I suggest keeping the tiled water and stud deck; they're a nice change in a time when builders feel a need to use SNOT everywhere and tile all surfaces. :thumbup: However, I think that changing the blue tiles around the dock supports to teal would improve its appearance and make it look more realistic. Also, the wall is rather plain - why not add a few more of the stickers from Soldier's Fort and change the door to something more piratey? I suggest adding a bit more of an interior to the tavern, too.

There's something bugging me: you have such a great entry, but you've only put one picture in your post! :pir-grin: It shows off the MOC better and makes it a bit easier for creative critics. :pir-wink:

When I first saw your pic, I was like "Huh? What DO we like anyway? Outstanding roofs?" :pir_laugh2:

It took me some time to actually get it, I admit. Drinking, guns and women, huh? Oh, and showing off... I guess I'd agree with that - or at least a part of it. Not a fan of guns and booze (in excess quantities), but they seem to be pretty popular... :imperialguard_commander1:

I agree that the tavern could use some more interior details. I find its plain outer wall looks pretty nice when combined with THAT roof, but something pleasing for the eye (apart from the waitress ;) ) in the pub would really make it look awesome.

Very nice MOC, good luck mate!

I suggest keeping the tiled water and stud deck; they're a nice change in a time when builders feel a need to use SNOT everywhere and tile all surfaces.

Well I personally don't mind studs. I think studded water is OK and studded grass field and studded beaches are OK too. But I just think that if he were to use tiles on the dock thes would make it look like the dock consits out of more small planks in stead of one big plank.

~Badboy

Edited by badboytje88

I really like the style of the roof on this entry and the minifigs look great. I also like the shape of the dock.

Suggestions:

-You should build the walls of the building yourself because the detail of the roof needs to be complimented by the same amount of detail on the building. The pre-fab walls are too simple.

-The dock would look better if you built it like the roof with tan or brown tiles

- You should add slome slopes to the water to give the appearance of waves

-Add some animals or more barrels and crates to make the moc look more lively

First thing that caught my attention was the photograph.

Since most of the MOC is white, I think a Black, or some dark and matte background/poster.

Also, the photos are very dark, I suggest signing up for the EB Reviewers' Academy [if you already haven't], and check out some Photo Tutorials there. You should get next to some sort of natural light from a window, or maybe even use some lamps, because it's awfully hard to tell what's going on.

The front: When I first saw it, I couldn't tell what was going on, this could probably be from the lighting as well as the angle. Angle them using some studs so that they're tilted toward each other, yet facing us, much like what an actor would do [Or at least for the Pirate], it makes it easier for us to see the action from this angle yet they don't lose too much in terms of action and contact. The roof is brilliant. Very rickety and it feels as if it was made up of a bunch of random planks. For the actual point of the minifigs [comparing guns], maybe you could have one of them hold it up and look like he's bragging about it? From what I saw before reading, it looked like a pirate and soldier just holding guns. =/

The dock and water: I have to admit it looks a bit drab. The tiled water is fine, I have no problems with it, but the dock looks very bare. Maybe some more 1x1 round bricks to extend the polls below the dock floor? I also think the little details would work really well with such blank space. Maybe some fish lying around, or crates here and there, maybe some chain to chain a boat. Play around with some asymmetry in the dock, I think it can work really well.

The back: A neat little tavern going on here, with drinks and wenches :pir_laugh2: . Table seems a little cluttered with so many cups, but it's nice to see them get along. I'm not a fan of the indentations from the wall, if you could add another layer so it faces us with a smooth layer like in the front, that'd be great. A checkered or some patterned tile floor [if you can] would really make it come alive instead of the boring black.

Overall, it could use some more action here and there, but I really do think better photos would help your chances greatly.

Good luck in the contest!

EDIT1: To above post: Doesn't mean you can't rebuild it for the better. :D

[-TA-]

Edited by The Alchemyst

The building technique is very nice and original. Like others have said, NICE ROOF! I just need to have more detail and know whats going on here?

-martinsuper