Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

MOC: sailing yacht

In the last two months I've built several models with a nautical theme, such as a flying boat, a Coast guard helicopter and a Coast Guard rescue boat. Time for one more. I decided to build a sailing yacht. I don't remember ever building one before, but apart from adding all the rigging it was a fun little build. I hope you'll agree.

3964823411_abbb199044.jpg

3965593770_dcf608d776.jpg

3964822463_dd3b076067.jpg

Cheers,

Ralph

Nice shape! Pity you forgot to open the curtains before taking the pictures... :-P

Nice shape! Pity you forgot to open the curtains before taking the pictures... :-P

Believe it or not, opening the curtains made the boat look even darker :-(

Very nice!

The sleek lines resemble a real yacht perfectly. It must have been hard to achieve them like this. The rolled up sails are a nice touch as well.

:thumbup:

Brilliant one! I really like your vehicle (land, air or sea) creations :thumbup: Your work is allways stirring for me :wink:

Edited by BlueBard

The sleek lines resemble a real yacht perfectly. It must have been hard to achieve them like this. The rolled up sails are a nice touch as well.

Indeed, the shape is surprisingly accurate. The mast, sails, and rigging are really nicely done as well. I suppose it doesn't have an interior? :wink:

I really like this one. I always wished that TLC made a set like this. The whole thing is great and the rigging is perfect. The SNOT work on the bow really adds to the overall shape of the boat.

Great job. She looks fast and handy. You design is spot on. The riging looks very realistic as well. I like the sails all rolled up. Nice job. Maybe you should make some sails for her and take a few photos that way as well.

That's an absolutely awesome MOC, Ralph_S! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

With it's perfect style and size and the many details you added to it it looks absolutely realistic! :oh:

If only TLG offered us a (sailing) yacht, too!

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Btw: Does it have an interior, too?

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks guys. The shape of the hull came together very quickly. I actually spent an hour or two in a marina a few weeks ago to get a closer look at yachts and I already had a rough idea of what I wanted in mind before I started building. The things that took most time were incorporating the railing and tying all the strings. That was no fun at all. The only sail parts I have are green from the creator dragon set from a few years ago. I didn't fancy that look. I intend to buy a Grand Carousel pretty soon (hopefully at STEAM next weekend) and the white cloth parts in that may be useful as sails. I'll see what I do.

Many of my models do have interiors, but this one doesn't, since it would be practically impossible to see. It does have a door through which you could see a small part of it, I suppose, but seeing the rest would require removing all the rigging. :wacko:

Cheers,

Ralph

That is a really nice shape, and I like you choice of colors, and the rigging is great! I myself am a big fan of sailing boats.

You really should take the pictures again. The boat probably turned out darker with the curtains open because of backlighting. The camera found that the background was too bright with the curtains open and darkened the whole picture accordingly. If you take the pictures with the light source behind you, you shouldn't have that problem (just make sure it doesn't cast your shadow onto the object you are taking the picture of).

Edited by missouri_bb63

Very nice Ralph. I always enjoy the tranquiity of sailing vessels. The way the light through the curtain shines through adds a nice touch to your photo.

This deserves a blog!

No, it deserves two! Great job there Ralph_S, just next time give it a decent crew with a Redbeard at the helm... :pir-classic:

Nice "cross-theming" Capt'n. I like to see this. Put a few skellies on board, and then you'll be talk'n.

That is a really nice shape, and I like you choice of colors, and the rigging is great! I myself am a big fan of sailing boats.

You really should take the pictures again. The boat probably turned out darker with the curtains open because of backlighting. The camera found that the background was too bright with the curtains open and darkened the whole picture accordingly. If you take the pictures with the light source behind you, you shouldn't have that problem (just make sure it doesn't cast your shadow onto the object you are taking the picture of).

My current photo set-up is no good, certainly not with the weather being as muggy as it was when I took these. I couldn't wait for better conditions though, because this will be going to The Great Western LEGO show in the UK later this week. I'm flying tonight. I hope to take better pictures there when it's part of a layout. Should give a nicer backdrop than my desk and window.

The hull is great, as is the rolled up sail :thumbup:

Thanks. Having rolled up sail seemed the only option short of getting out some cloth and scissors!

Very nice Ralph. I always enjoy the tranquiity of sailing vessels. The way the light through the curtain shines through adds a nice touch to your photo.

This deserves a blog!

Thanks. It's a shame the ship itself looks a bit dark though. Thanks for blogging it. Much appreciated.

No, it deserves two! Great job there Ralph_S, just next time give it a decent crew with a Redbeard at the helm... :pir-classic:

Thank you. Who could ever have guessed that one of my MOCs would end up on the classic pirates website? Not me.

Nice "cross-theming" Capt'n. I like to see this. Put a few skellies on board, and then you'll be talk'n.

I suppose the crew of this vessel could serve as the hapless victims to a bunch of pirates.

Cheers,

Ralph

wonderful! the scale is real and not "LEGO": the two minifigs really seem to sail the (table)sea.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you. Who could ever have guessed that one of my MOCs would end up on the classic pirates website? Not me.

Well if you keep building awesome MOCs, and maybe the occasional intended Pirates MOC... :tongue:

I suppose the crew of this vessel could serve as the hapless victims to a bunch of pirates.

You're the one with the boat and the camera...

I like this alot. I'm especially fond of the hull shape. When I built the two yachts for my marina, I experimented with a few hull shapes but came back to the basic LEGO designs which are classic, but not at all realistic. You're SNOT hull shape on the other hand is inspired and looking at it, I see that it appears to be an ingeniously straitforward build using pieces that most folks probably have already! I may have to steal some ideas from this one.

Hello!

A brick-built boat hull. Excellent. :classic: But also the other details like that great mast are fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

~ Christopher

Thanks guys. I briefly considered using a one-piece LEGO boat hull for this, but the ones I've got didn't seem to have the right shape for a sailing yacht. Building aircraft proved to be a useful exercise for this sort of thing.

A few weeks ago I also built a cabin cruiser using a similar technique for the bow

3803552764_63826ddc6a.jpg

3802739825_f28a1d2e10.jpg

Cheers,

Ralph

I really like these 2 models Ralph, they have that fun summery feel to them and would look good in any water scene! :thumbup:

I enjoy sailing myself during the summer and my parents actually have a cabin cruiser almost exactly as you have made it. :wub: