Duq

TTCE Amsterdam Tram

ENTERED

Here's my entry for category 1 (I like to think a three car tram is a complete train, not a single engine).

This is an Amsterdam tram as they were in the 80's. Back then trams were yellow and had a real bell they rang at junctions. The new ones try to do the same sound with some electronics and a speaker. Not the same...

They were three car trams on four bogies; the middle two were shared with the middle carriage essentially suspended between the two bogies.

3963390337_ffbcbdf0e8_b.jpg

The cheese slopes either side of the windscreen aren't perfect but the other option was chopping a 2x2x2 slope in half and I wanted to do this tram without modifying bricks.

Here's a picture of the real thing on RailfanEurope.net. They came in a lot of different variations. This one doesn't have the red bar I modelled, but some others do.

GVBA643.jpg

At 8 wide it's kinda biggish for minifig but that was necessary. The bogies are hidden behind the skirts down the side. Only at 8 wide could the 9V motor units turn enough to get through the 9V curves:

3963390975_68c4efa152.jpg

The round brick on the right is where the carriage sits on the shared bogie. The axle is for an elastic band to keep the carriages tight on the straight yet allow them to move apart in turns.

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to print stickers. It could do with a 'GVB' (Amsterdam Transport) logo, a number, and maybe some ads on the side.

3964167392_93aa30988f.jpg

The pantograph took a few attempts but I'm quite happy with the result. Long live flex tube and minifig hands.

So there you go, my biggest train MOC in three years!

That's really realistic! I like how you did that metal thingy on the top of the train :thumbup:

That would be the pantograph, and it is indeed built very nicely. And if you didn't want to cut bricks, couldn't you have used one of these 3040b.png instead of cheese slopes?

That would be the pantograph, and it is indeed built very nicely. And if you didn't want to cut bricks, couldn't you have used one of these 3040b.png instead of cheese slopes?

Nope. I needed something 1 wide in smoke that matches the angle on this windscreen:

3823.png

Wow is this every beautiful! Man, I wished those doors opened though. I rode trains like this in Sweden and they are really smooth and cool. I just want to make doors like that, that function! I think our most recent Train set, the Emerald Night really copped out on the doors. But this MOC is an excellent design, dug. I've been away for a while but it's nice to be back and make your acquaintance. I look forward to seeing your other work. :sweet:

Hi Duq, what a great entry this is. This one looks very great. I think the cheese slopes are a good compromise (i didn't even know they are available in this color.

You really matched the colors and the details of the trams)

Outstanding :thumbup:

This is an Amsterdam tram as they were in the 80's. Back then trams were yellow and had a real bell they rang at junctions. The new ones try to do the same sound with some electronics and a speaker. Not the same...

I know you do not live in the Netherlands at the moment, but these trams are still running. If I have the chance to choose between this one and the new combino trams I always choose this one :classic:

<<picture deleted >>

Edited by aawsum

Welcome to Eurobricks, Duq. It's a really nice rendition of an Amsterdam tram, but the highlight for me has to be that pantograph. That's just awesome.

Cheers,

Ralph

I know you do not live in the Netherlands at the moment, but these trams are still running. If I have the chance to choose between this one and the new combino trams I always choose this one :classic:

Tram_in_Amsterdam.jpg

It's nice of them to make the new trams more square so that will be easier to replicate them in Lego......

Cheers

Rog

Beautiful tram! It really captures the spirit of the original one. I like the front, fronts are always the hardest parts when constructing trams and yours works excellent! :thumbup:

I know that you do not live in Amsterdam. If you did, like me, you would know that these trams are only to be found in a museum and that they are not in use anymore! :sweet:

The old blue and white trams are a completely different model from the yellow ones that went out out of service in 2004 with the introduction of the ugly Combino's.

I know that you do not live in Amsterdam. If you did, like me, you would know that these trams are only to be found in a museum and that they are not in use anymore!

The old blue and white trams are a completely different model from the yellow ones that went out out of service in 2004 with the introduction of the ugly Combino's.

Did I step on something :wink:

As a fact, these trams are still running in Poland. But in Amsterdam, it looks like you are right, which means next time I have to open my eyes when I go to work and see that the old tram type that I am taking is blue and white, and not yellow any more :cry_sad:

My apologies for the mistake and getting too much offtopic.

Back to this beautifull creation.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Man, I wished those doors opened though.

To me opening doors wouldn't add anything to the model, but that's just what you want from a model. For me it's looks over functions with trains.

It's nice of them to make the new trams more square so that will be easier to replicate them in Lego......

I guess you're a fan of container trains? :-P

If I ever get to build a Lego town layout again I really want to have one of those! No, make that several. You got the shape and details down really well. I actually remember seeing those in the 80s. Fond memories. :classic:

Nice, i remember riding on these babies and it is instantly recognizable to me!

I really miss these old trams and i wish they kept 1 or 2 in service. :cry_sad:

I love how you made the sloping sides and the signature shape of the front, well done!

I can't remember seeing one with a red bumper though, but hey it is a long time ago.

Good luck on the contest! :thumbup:

I can't remember seeing one with a red bumper

030.jpg

;-)

Edited by Duq

It's a very nice entry, perhaps my favourit in Category One. It's so realistic, and there are many tricks that could be used building a model of a tram running in Hungary. :)

The suspension is nice but I can't stop looking at the pantograph. Do you have catanery to go with it? If so I'd love to see. The inverted skis are just sweet.

I read how they replaced the physical bells with electronics. Sad. They have done this at grade crossing gates over here and it just doesn''t have the same "ring."

- BMW

I guess catanery is the overhead wire? If so I don't have one. I don't even have a layout at home to run it on...

And no, it doesn't scream around corners like they're killing a pig ;-)

Did I step on something :wink:

You didn't step on anything, the city however did step on something when they decided to pull these yellow trams off the rails and replace them with the big ugly squeaking blue and white monstrosities currently serving Amsterdam.... :wink:

We still have yellow trams in Sofia... quite a few of them aren't a particular sight to behold, but there are some really nice models that I'm glad I can still see running. Besides, they run a "special" tram from the turn of the past century during the holiday season which looks (and rides) absolutely smashing. So I guess I can't complain, seeing as I'm not a huge fan of modern trams anyway.

As to Duq's work - it's brilliant. I'm a tram enthusiast myself and have been wanting to build one for some time now... I really love all the features you've managed to include into this one in order to make it look 1:1 compared to the original. The pantograph is very ingenious and brilliant indeed, but to me the best feature here are the sloped sides... Just goes to show what a difference such details make.

Good luck in the contest Duq!

Thanks Otters! I love the way different people pick different standout features; for some it's the pantograph, for some it's the sloped side or the skirts.

The main thing for me was to get the face right...