Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

TTCE: Pennsylvania T1 Duplex #5544

ENTERED

Like Cale, I'm a member of the Railbricks staff, so I am not eligible to officially enter the contest. But... I couldn't not enter her after taking so long to finish her.

3960771558_fabcd6c02f.jpg

More images, including a year and a half's worth of progress pictures, can be found in my Flickr Gallery.

Pennsylvania Railroad T1 Duplex (4-4-4-4) Steam Engine #5544, one of the Sharks of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

The powerful PRR T1 steam engines were designed for one thing - speed. Their massive boilers and split driver design were capable of hauling 910-ton passenger trains at speeds in excess of 100 mph. In fact, they rank as some of the strongest, fastest steam engines ever produced.

The PRR T1s were designed with a rigid wheelbase, but unfortunately LEGO's tight turn radius forced me to articulate her. Still, I am very pleased with the results. A slightly longer write up is available on the photo page for this photo.

--Tony

HOLY MEGABLOCKS! Wow, you did an awesome job of that one. I'm very impressed. I bet it looks funny going around L gauge corners though. :laugh:

I really can't offer you any feedback, because to me, it's perfect already. :wink:

HOLY MEGABLOCKS! Wow, you did an awesome job of that one. I'm very impressed. I bet it looks funny going around L gauge corners though. :laugh:

I really can't offer you any feedback, because to me, it's perfect already. :wink:

Thanks much! I tried my best in getting her to articulate around curves without hanging over too much. You can find photos of her doing so in my Flickr Gallery.

3960768332_99c1c2a404_m.jpg

You have made so many excellent trains in the past and this is no exception. Bravo!

Thanks much! With every train I build I seem to find solutions to problems on previous ones, so I seem to always be rebuilding and modifying all my locomotives these days.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Great work Tony! She looks great going around curves, a heap better than I would have thought with such a long boiler. Again, great work, and thanks for sharing a video. :classic:

Great work Tony! She looks great going around curves, a heap better than I would have thought with such a long boiler. Again, great work, and thanks for sharing a video. :classic:

Thanks much! It was the best solution to articulation I could think of. Articulating her above her driver pairs would have made her perform ALOT differently.

--Tony