Rick

MOD: 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty gets a deck

th_thindexedgif.gif 89c

Brickbeard's Bounty just isn't complete without a deck and railing, so I decided to place a PaB order (around €9.50) to fix that. I've given it a BSB style deck (without the hatches) and also extended the 'plank' from 2 x 6 to 2 x 8. I'm quite happy with the results. Let me know what you think.

6243-1.jpg_thumb.jpg6243-2.jpg_thumb.jpg6243-3.jpg_thumb.jpg

Very nice! And good choice of colour as well.

The ship almost looks like its great grandfather, the mighty Black Seas Barracuda

:thumbup:

I agree this is much better! The colours are great, and the ship looks much more accurate now.

You are even the first person who came up with this idea.

Again, nice job! :thumbup:

Looks pretty cool! :thumbup: BB doesn't look to good straight from the factory.. But that's LEGO for ya.. Giving you stuff to improve :pir-wink:

I honestly think this is the best BB MOD. Other people have tried to make it too big and have tried to add too much stuff but your MOD is so simple and looks so good with the ship. I love the tan plates they fit the ship perfectly. Great Job!

Nicely done with so few parts. It is really a good improvement and now has a deck that looks a bit like the deck of the BSB.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :pir-blush: I wanted to simply add the decks to the set instead of completely redoing the whole set. That's why I decided to not extend it or modify the cabin, as I happen to like most of the rest of the ship (of course the classic mast pieces, sails, and bow and stern pieces were much better, but they aren't coming back anytime soon). Because of the colors available now, the color scheme of BB looks much better than most of the classic pirate ships. I never even considered anything else but tan as a color for the deck. However, I was adding the deck in a rainbow of colors before ordering the brown and tan parts from PaB, so I only imagined what it would look like.

There are no hatches, so nothing opens up, if that's what you mean... Access to the area below the deck is through the 'arches' of which two were already included in the official set to reach the area below the captain's cabin. I added two more arches to the front as well.

This is a very simple but effective mod, and the addition of the deck gives the minifigs some much needed access to the forward chase guns on the front deck. My Bounty is in pieces at the moment preparing for the PTVII contest but from what I remember there isn't even a ladder for the Pirates to climb up there.

Ah, the quintessence of set modding: add value & avoid depleting the gold reserves. It has definitely worked well here, great job Rick!!! I have to get me this ship soon, seeing as it won't be available next year... When I do, I'll be sure to check out (& copy :pir_laugh2: ) your mod!

Very nice... my BB mods which are still underway are a combination of the BSB, SES, and BB. Quite literally.. I took my favorite aspects of each ship and added it to one model. I just don't have anywhere near the right colors to publish it yet :pir-hmpf_bad:

Great work! I am a bit curious as to what parts you purchased from PaB to get this result.

I haven't purchased the BB yet, but am planning to and I really liked your adjustments to the design.

I ordered 101 pieces

Tan:

1 x tile 1 x 2

2 x plate 1 x 2

2 x plate 1 x 3

3 x plate 1 x 4

1 x plate 2 x 2

1 x plate 2 x 3

3 x plate 2 x 4

2 x plate 2 x 6

2 x plate 2 x 8

2 x plate 4 x 6

4 x plate 6 x 6

2 x brick 1 x 2

4 x slope 1 x 2 45 degree

2 x arch 1 x 6 x 2

Brown:

2 x plate 1 x 2

4 x plate 1 x 3

8 x plate 1 x 6

2 x plate 2 x 4

6 x plate 2 x 6

2 x plate 2 x 8

1 x palisade brick 1 x 2 ('cause its cheaper than a 1 x 2 brick :pir-wink: )

Black:

4 x tile 1 x 8

2 x plate 1 x 4

2 x plate 1 x 10

32 x round plate 1 x 1

2 x brick 1 x 4

2 x brick 2 x 2 x 3

1 x fence 1 x 4 x 2 with 2 'knobs' (TLG's name :pir-wink: )

Edited by Rick

This is a lot better than the original BB.

A. It looks better

B. Theres more room, BB's hold was way to crowded and awkward.

You did a good job on this Rick :thumbup:

Rick, you did a wonderful job on this ship. VERY impressive indeed. If Lego would of thought of that they would of had more people go after it than now. lol. I once did a mod with two Brickbeard Bounties infused together, but i had it destroyed on stop motion film. :pir-cry_happy:

put it together today and it looks great in person. Was a little rough figuring out how to get the underside right but I finally got it :pir-cry_happy:

You could have asked, but I guess it's more fun to try and figure it out yourself... Anyway: I'm kind of honored someone actually copied my MOD.

You could have asked, but I guess it's more fun to try and figure it out yourself... Anyway: I'm kind of honored someone actually copied my MOD.

I was bored and looking for a challege. You posted the parts you used so I worked from there. Came out really nice. Thanks for posting how you did it, makes the ship look much better on display.

th_thindexedgif.gif 89c

Brickbeard's Bounty just isn't complete without a deck and railing, so I decided to place a PaB order (around �‚�9.50) to fix that. I've given it a BSB style deck (without the hatches) and also extended the 'plank' from 2 x 6 to 2 x 8. I'm quite happy with the results. Let me know what you think.

6243-1.jpg_thumb.jpg6243-2.jpg_thumb.jpg6243-3.jpg_thumb.jpg

what good is a ship without a deck? LOOK

I liked the idea of adding a deck, so I tried it on mine...for the record, I did not use the same parts you did or even the same technique. I built the deck with brown so it matched the hull and used 1x1 cylinders to support the side rails instead of stacking the little black studs. I'm quite pleased with the results, except for the fact that my interior structure was a bit shoddy. Nothing pretty to look at, but I hope to change it. If I can think of a good way, I'll try to add a forepeak hatch to the bow where I can store cargo. That would be cool. Let me know if you would like to see pictures.

Let me know if you would like to see pictures.

I think I'm speaking for many pirates fans, that of course we'd like to see pictures, but you might want to start your own thread for it then...

I'll ask, then :)

The topside stuff is pretty straightforward, the sides are easy (and FWIW I have the black 1x4/6/10 plates down the sides in a different order to you), but I'm struggling a bit with the foc'sle and the supports underneath fore and aft.

I've put it all together, and it looks *mostly* like the pictures (with some obvious variation around the foremast), but I know that I haven't done it *right*, and still have several pieces left over!

Still, it'll pass muster. I'd like to figure out a way to have easy access to the hold in the bow (but I'm somewhat piece-deprived, especially anything useful with hinges). First, though, I ought to do something similar for my other ships (in particular the RBR).

It definitely gives the BB a more polished, finished look.

Edited by RichardD