Sign in to follow this  
Svelte

10197 Fire Brigades

10197-a-title-2.jpg

One of my first (useful!) contributions to EB was to show the various modular combinations which could be produced using 4x 10185 Green Grocers. This year, although I liked the 10197 Fire Brigade set less than its predecessors, I decided to repeat the experiment. I bought 2x the full set of 10197 and then using Bricklink & the instructions ordered the parts to build 4 more middle floors. At the moment the Australian dollar is strong so it ended up costing about the same as it would for 1 ordinary 10197 set, which I don't think is too bad at all. Thanks Bricklink! :wink:

I ended up building the 2 regular Fire Stations with varying asymmetry. I didn't want to make them completely symmetrical, as identical trees would look silly growing right next to each other, as would the water tanks. I did want to have the door/ window of the ground floor on different sides for aesthetic reasons. Internally, I kept the position of the stairs which connects the ground floor to the upper levels for simplicity. On the extra floors I also 'built over' the fire pole space on the left hand side as no building needs a fire pole which runs 6 storeys high :laugh:

This isn't a review - more of an overview of the potential of the modular system. Although I have reservations about the scale of 10197 - having a supersized ground floor and one upper floor doesn't quite fit with the triple-tiered 10182 or 10185 with their smaller but more highly ornate decoration - I do think that for the Fire Brigade, adding extra floors vastly improves the aesthetics of the overall product. The red brick facade lends itself to visual repetition more than the middle floors of the Cafe Corner or Green Grocer, which can look 'fussy' over a certain height.

I would have taken the pics earlier, but sadly natural lighting conditions were less than ideal in Sydney this week :laugh: Here's a view from downstairs outside my apartment building from Wednesday (no digital adjustments were made to this image at all! :wink:):

z-yellowapocalypse2.jpg

(For more images, see my flickr.)

1) 2x 10197s, Side by Side:

10197-b-2sidebysidefront.jpg

Rear view:

10197-b-2sidebysiderear.jpg

I quite like this asymmetric combination:

10197-b-sidebyside-asymmetr.jpg

Even 1 base is greatly improved with 2 middle floors:

10197-c-2top-front1.jpg

Three-quarter view:

10197-c-2top-front2-threequ.jpg

(Rear view pic here.)

2) Three floors. Stacked:

10197-d-top-3floors-front.jpg

At this height, the building still looks impressive:

10197-d-top-3floors-threequ.jpg

Another asymmetric configuration:

10197-d-viewside-3floors.jpg

3) 4x Middle Floors

At four storeys, you're probably pushing the limit of the single-tower approach in terms of attractiveness:

10197-e-top-4floors-threequ.jpg

This is a nice, medium sized building:

10197-e-viewside-4floors-fr.jpg

Just for something different, a pavement view:

10197-e-viewside-4floors-pave.jpg

The rear view of this configuration resembles an old industrial factory, with its large doors and muddy landscaping. All that dark red is starting to add up! :wub:

10197-e-viewside-4floors-rea.jpg

4) 5x Middle Floors

I wouldn't display the set like this, but it's interesting just to see how it looks:

10197-f-top-5floors-front.jpg

At this height, vertigo begins to set in! :wacko:

10197-f-top-5loors-vertigo.jpg

5) 6x Middle Floors

Imagine having to climb all the stairs to the penthouse! :laugh:

10197-g-top-6floors-front.jpg

Whereas the Green Grocer had the very detailed and clever interlocking system of fire escapes on its rear elevation, you can see that the 10197 is all about the window parts:

10197-g-top-6floors-rear.jpg

Three quarter view:

10197-g-top-6floors-threequ.jpg

Again, these 6 floors can be arranged asymmetrically in a side-by-side layout:

10197-k-6-sixfloors-fron.jpg

10197-k-side-6floors-front3.jpg

And the piece de resistance! This is how I'm keeping my layout setup. Hey! My 2010 figs all need somewhere to live! :laugh:

10197-l-side-6floors-front.jpg

Closer view of the middle facades:

10197-l-side-6floors-front3.jpg

The rear looks more like a factory than ever:

10197-l-side-6floors-rear.jpg

Dutch tilt shows the symmetric water tanks/ roof access:

10197-l-side-6floors-top.jpg

And a bonus rendering of what the streetscape would have looked like if the pics had been taken during the great dust storm:

10197-z-duststorm.jpg

(Non yellow version of this pic)

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments! :sweet:

Wow, thanks for sharing all of these detailed pictures of combinations you can make with 6 Fire Brigades, Svelte!

It really shows how modular the set is (that is, if you buy/BrickLink all of the floors :laugh:)!

10197-g-top-6floors-front.jpg

Wow, this picture really shows how cool the the set is when it's really tall. :oh:

I hope to see more of these cool combinations when the next modular house set comes out! :sweet:

You rock Svelte! But you're such a tease at the same time... Don't think I'll be buying 2x GG or FB anytime soon :tongue:

In any case, it's lovely just to see what the thing could/would look like if its modularity actually does come into account. Same as with the GG and CC, I believe this one works best with an added second floor. Another first level for a couple more entrance gates is also a nice addition.

And good thing it survived the sandstorm... Must have been quite a "funny" day down under, no?

Very nice! :tongue: Personally I think it looks best with just one extra floor.

I tend to agree. But the difference in cost of buying 2 floors vs 4 wasn't that great, so I plumped for the extras :wink: I like all the extra window parts, anyway.

How did you make the other "floors"?

Did you buy 6?

Or did you just made them?

Maybe he used Photoshop?

I love the experiment, good luck with your skyscraping firehouses!

5) 6x Middle Floors

Imagine having to climb all the stairs to the penthouse! :laugh:

Imagine having to slide down that indefinate firepole and the speed the poor firefighters would gain before smashing to pieces downstairs like a waterballoon upon impact....

Good thing you didn't add the firepole all the way through! :laugh:

Imagine having to slide down that indefinate firepole and the speed the poor firefighters would gain before smashing to pieces downstairs like a waterballoon upon impact....

Good thing you didn't add the firepole all the way through! :laugh:

LOL :laugh: :laugh: Congratulations Mr. Willems, you've just made me spill half a cup of coffee.

That sadistic yet extremely funny (albeit in a very sick way) notion is worthy of being illustrated by one of our LEGO artists around here...

@ Svelte: Out of curiousity, did you actually buy the entire set a number of times or could you just obtain the separate floors? And if so, HOW? :grin:

LOL :laugh: :laugh: Congratulations Mr. Willems, you've just made me spill half a cup of coffee.

That sadistic yet extremely funny (albeit in a very sick way) notion is worthy of being illustrated by one of our LEGO artists around here...

@ Svelte: Out of curiousity, did you actually buy the entire set a number of times or could you just obtain the separate floors? And if so, HOW? :grin:

As I said in the first paragraph :wink: I bought 2 full sets and Bricklinked the other 4 middle floors for about the same cost as buying one full set. Not a bad deal!

I had some parts (mainly plates and such) but one US seller had obviously just dumped 12x of the set into her inventory, so it was easy to cherry pick the stuff I needed. And the windows etc were much cheaper than I could get via PaB or from an Australian seller.

As I said in the first paragraph :wink: ...

:blush::hmpf:

Sorry mate. I seem to be a bit inadequate these days...

:blush::hmpf:

Sorry mate. I seem to be a bit inadequate these days...

Poor Otter! Ruffy, cruelly murdered in MOTEE, and then that stint in jail :laugh:

You're not the only one :wink:

Wow! Simply amazing Svelte! I'm a huge fan of the red brick patterns on the front, and some of those skyscrapers make me drool. Also, I love the fact that the station on the right has a 4 instead of a 3.

Amazing work! :thumbup:

...and then that stint in jail ...

I thought noone had actually taken notice of my/our absence...

So you DO care!!! :wub: :wub:

Very nice! :tongue: Personally I think it looks best with just one extra floor.

Seconded. I'll say it again: I really see potential here for TLG releasing seperate 'middle-floor' packs for the Modulars. Logistically, it shouldn't be a big problem for the company as the floors are in separate bags already in the boxes of the Modular Buildings.

Furthermore, if I'd own multiples, I would redesign the ground floor to have the two engine bays right next to each other, with maybe a 'dressing' room next to it. First floor would then include a kitchen/lounge area and a bedroom/bedrooms next to it.

Edited by Rick

Those are nice pics, even though I don't really like most of the configurations :sceptic: My favourite is the symmetric 2 floor building :thumbup:

You're absolutely insane. But in a socially acceptable way :tongue: Nice work, and glad to see you having fun.

Wow! That's a lot of levels. I thought I was going to be special when i post my 3 story fire brigade, but obviously you shattered my hopes and dreams haha! My plan is to make the bottom level have two bay doors side by side. I converted the bottom level of the second fire brigade into a Police station. I changed some of the 2x2 tiles and swapped out the windows with some black frames. My girlfriend changed the 1932 into LCPD. :classic: Also where the helmets are, we installed the black jail bars. And the second bell tower went to the town hall which is being converted into a school house.

Wow! That's a lot of levels. I thought I was going to be special when i post my 3 story fire brigade, but obviously you shattered my hopes and dreams haha! My plan is to make the bottom level have two bay doors side by side. I converted the bottom level of the second fire brigade into a Police station. I changed some of the 2x2 tiles and swapped out the windows with some black frames. My girlfriend changed the 1932 into LCPD. :classic: Also where the helmets are, we installed the black jail bars. And the second bell tower went to the town hall which is being converted into a school house.

Sounds very good, be sure to post some pics on EB once you're done.

... My plan is to make the bottom level have two bay doors side by side. I converted the bottom level of the second fire brigade into a Police station. ....

Please post your pictures when you're done - I'm also planning on doing this, and widening each garage to 10-wide so they'll fit 8-wide trucks.

Seconded. I'll say it again: I really see potential here for TLG releasing seperate 'middle-floor' packs for the Modulars. Logistically, it shouldn't be a big problem for the company as the floors are in separate bags already in the boxes of the Modular Buildings.

Furthermore, if I'd own multiples, I would redesign the ground floor to have the two engine bays right next to each other, with maybe a 'dressing' room next to it. First floor would then include a kitchen/lounge area and a bedroom/bedrooms next to it.

Took the words right out of my word processor Rick!!! :grin: My dressing room would be a maintenance room, maybe for the SCBA gear. Upstairs would be a kitchen/crew/rec room, with sleeping quarters adjacent to it. I also love the idea of the 'modular packs'. This concept could even work for other sets, such as City Corner's bus stop.

Whereas the Green Grocer had the very detailed and clever interlocking system of fire escapes on its rear elevation, you can see that the 10197 is all about the window parts:

Well I would hope you don't need fire escapes in the fire station...

Steve