David Thomsen

POTC or Classic pirates in 2011

What sort of Pirates do you want to come back?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite!

• Classic Pirates, like in 2009
    • Pirates of the Carribbean
    • Both at the same time
    • Either, as long as we get them soon

Plus huge ships for Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, and Davy Jones!

Plus the associated high cost, which would be too much for a retail set, which means smaller sets... Licensed themes are unfortunately not known for their good price per piece ratio. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I prefer "Classic" if you would call it that. Even though POTC would be cool, Classic has a special charm :wub:

Classic all the way. I hated the first POTC movie and didn't even bother with the sequels. And I like a lot of other pirate and sea movies!

But, as they are discontinuing the current line, I'd say if they returned with POTC in the future, I would still be happy. It's better than nothing! I would simply buy some of the sets and turn them into non-POTC MOCs (and give all the movie minifigs from those sets a new adequate function - as prisoners maybe? :pir-classic: ).

i chose classic pirates, but if they didn't plan on making classic pirate sets in 2011, then why NOT have POTC? it wouldn't do any harm really... other than peaches and yellow heads will finally meet in the pirate world, something i DO NOT look forward to, but it would be worth it in my opinion so we could get official jack sparrow and more big ships.

I voted classic pirates, it would offer a wider variety of sets, as long as it has a storyline like to old theme. The price also wouldn't be as high usually with licensed themes the price tends to be higher. Though POTC would offer some nice new mini figs, I'm having mixed emotions on this one :pir-tongue:

Hi, I'm not sure how to create a poll, I think a moderator has to do it for me?

Anything that can be said about what happens in 2011 is pure speculation at this point, but if the Pirates theme returns, what form would you prefer it to take?

* Classic lego pirates, like in 2009. My collection is only half finished! If they switch to POTC, I'll never get an Imperial ship, or a proper harbour. Also, licensed sets are more expensive, and I prefer generic pirates to movie characters.

* POTC pirates. With at least four movies, the range has the potential to go on for years, like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. And how awesome would a Black Pearl set be? And a Shanghai pirate ship, and they'd need a powdered wig mould...

* Both, at the same time. They have Star Wars sets on sale alongside other space sets, why can't they do that with pirates? I'd be able to pick which line to follow, and buy something from the other line if I liked it enough. Also, POTC moulds like a powdered wig could be transferred to the Classics line.

* Either. Just as long as Pirates return! I can see the potential in either line, and either excites me. I'd prefer it if they pick one or the other, though, because they shouldn't spread themselves too thin.

First of all legos are always expensive of course licenced are more but thay also have best possible parts for making movie scenes in lego one of my favourite hobbies is legoizing things as well as creating new ones so i would like to have both- but poll is kinda funny in Classic pirates- everyone here wants classic pirates to stay- it is like asking pirates or ninjas here? Ninjas are cool but pirates for the win! :jollyroger: - Comrades of Jack Sparrow or yellow guys as well but maybe lego should bring Ninjas back too i never get any :pir-tongue:

Classic all the way. I hated the first POTC movie and didn't even bother with the sequels. And I like a lot of other pirate and sea movies!

But, as they are discontinuing the current line, I'd say if they returned with POTC in the future, I would still be happy. It's better than nothing! I would simply buy some of the sets and turn them into non-POTC MOCs (and give all the movie minifigs from those sets a new adequate function - as prisoners maybe? :pir-classic: ).

:imperialguard_commander1: Hated it!?- don't want to be rude but there is either something very wrong with you or then we talk about the different movie :pir_laugh2:

Not really i just wonder how can anyone hate so good movies :pir-skull: Only good pirate movies besides potc are Captain Blood (the old one with Flynn), Against all Flags and Cutthroat island- it was a huge flop though but i like it- not a masterpiece but nice adventure- though the ships look horrible in that movie . Then Blackbeard terror of the High seas/ real pirate of the caribbean was also very well done movie with James Purefoy- (not that bad one with Angus Macfadyen)

Didn't like the Crimson pirate- looking shirtless sweaty man all the time made me sick :pir-sick:- Seahawk was boring- full of pure fiction and anachronisms (Curse of every pirate movie- 17th century ships were not steered by the wheel and pirates never played concertina :kahuka: and in the 16th century there were no flintlocks, no telescopes not even rum all probably appear in the Seahawk :pir-hmpf: ) Old Blackbeardmovie with overpiratey Newton was also full of fiction - Henry Morgan chasing Blackbeard???? That guy was long dead. "Anne of the indies" is bad as well- not to mention poorly done Black Swan From another seamovies best can be TV-series- version of Hornblower with Ioan Gruffud- liked that one a lot- Master and commander was boring but realistic and well done.

Edited by Swash Buckler

:imperialguard_commander1: Hated it!?- don't want to be rude but there is either something very wrong with you or then we talk about the different movie :pir_laugh2:

Not really i just wonder how can anyone hate so good movies :pir-skull: Only good pirate movies besides potc are Captain Blood (the old one with Flynn), Against all Flags and Cutthroat island- it was a huge flop though but i like it- not a masterpiece but nice adventure- though the ships look horrible in that movie . Then Blackbeard terror of the High seas/ real pirate of the caribbean was also very well done movie with James Purefoy- (not that bad one with Angus Macfadyen)

Didn't like the Crimson pirate- looking shirtless sweaty man all the time made me sick :pir-sick:- Seahawk was boring- full of pure fiction and anachronisms (Curse of every pirate movie- 17th century ships were not steered by the wheel and pirates never played concertina :kahuka: and in the 16th century there were no flintlocks, no telescopes not even rum all probably appear in the Seahawk :pir-hmpf: ) Old Blackbeardmovie with overpiratey Newton was also full of fiction - Henry Morgan chasing Blackbeard???? That guy was long dead. "Anne of the indies" is bad as well- not to mention poorly done Black Swan From another seamovies best can be TV-series- version of Hornblower with Ioan Gruffud- liked that one a lot- Master and commander was boring but realistic and well done.

Dang you are pirate pro! :pir-blush: :pir-skull: I saw someone mention Master of the Commander the other day so I got that and I liked it. Now I have to put the movies you mentioned on my movies to watch list.

I would like a Pirates of the Caribbean line but as some already mentioned, Lego licensed themes cost megabucks for way less parts! Ouch-a-my-oucha they cost a lot! We are going to have to sell our family to buy them! Though someone did have a good point that the licensed themes have great set scenes. I personally like the fictional fantasy pirates then realistic. I like skeletons and ghosts and all sorts of creatures who bump in the night and go boOOOooooo ooOOOooOooo :jollyroger:

Dang you are pirate pro! :pir-blush: :pir-skull: I saw someone mention Master of the Commander the other day so I got that and I liked it. Now I have to put the movies you mentioned on my movies to watch list.

I would like a Pirates of the Caribbean line but as some already mentioned, Lego licensed themes cost megabucks for way less parts! Ouch-a-my-oucha they cost a lot! We are going to have to sell our family to buy them! Though someone did have a good point that the licensed themes have great set scenes. I personally like the fictional fantasy pirates then realistic. I like skeletons and ghosts and all sorts of creatures who bump in the night and go boOOOooooo ooOOOooOooo :jollyroger:

Master and commander- :pir-classic: just watched some scenes of it minutes ago- it is a nice movie- but it lacks music and interesting characters Russel Crowe is ok as Lucky Jack and doctor is nice addition to the crew but bit boring as the movie was also but it has very realistic feeling setting and some funny jokes to made it to be little bit less serious but still i like the Hornblower better- i like both real and fantasy stuff or mixed stuff like potc- actually it has pretty autenthic looking pirates (except boogeymen :pir-tongue: )

Edited by Swash Buckler

One of my favorite things about Classic Pirates is the fact that every faction starts as neutral and the buyer gets to decide for themselves which is good and evil. I myself Love the Imperial Red Coats, while many view them as the bad guys, I see them as the good ones. With POTC, anyone who has seen the movies will see Jack sparrow and his crew as the good guys so that to me is a negative.

I've only seen the first movie in the series and while it was okay it didn't impress me enough to see the others. I enjoyed the pirates line that came out this year and bought all the larger sets and would dearly love to buy the Imperial Flagship too. So with that in mind, I'd have to say Classic pirates for the win. I also collect Star Wars as my main theme and I've spent more than enough for licensing fees, thank you very much!

I voted Classic Pirates, for sure!

I love the historic possibility of the Classic Pirates, and I don't really like the way everything in the Lego catalog is turning so fantastic.

I like the Finch comment about neutrality, too.

I'm for Classic Pirates. I think there's no need of a special pirate line. If some are really fond of Pirates of the Caribbean, they can create the models of the films with the bricks of the normal pirate line.

the original POTC movie was an entertaining film for me but it has long since past (im actually suprised lego didnt license it to begin with), unfortunately the last film (at worlds end) was terrible dont get me wrong I love the characters and many of the ideas but it needed serious storyline/script editing with reagards to the whole calypso chick. Especially the part where she turns into crabs and a giant whirlpool = NONSENSE!!!

However I do agree Capt Jack Sparrow and all the other crew and ships would make an excelent collection in lego form

you know what would be cool though... Technic Transformers... *DROOOL*

I would like to see a good quality Lego model of the Black Pearl and perhaps the Interceptor or the Dauntless but other than that I really don't want POTC. I am beginning to like the old classic Pirate line more and more just because there is so much more you can do with it.