1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

This set is an old one but has two great minifigs. I actually picked this up off of ebay a while ago and paid well over the original friendly price tag. That was before I knew they were remaking Yoda and Dooku, oh well, live and learn. On to the good stuff.

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: Jedi Duel

Set Number: 7103

Number of Pieces:81 LEGO box, 81 Peeron, 82 Brickset, 74 Bricklink

Minifigs: 2

Price: $10 USD (or around $45 on ebay)

Theme: Star Wars

Year Released: 2002

RESOURCES:

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickset

flickr (High res pics available here)

THE REVIEW:

THE BOX, now with more self wear, and ugly sticker price residue

Front:

3894521918_c2b9cc568c.jpg

Good old LEGO making the set seem better than it is, with glowing light sabers and all.

Side:

3894522092_1dfbfa9073.jpg

Includes a great picture of Yoda and Count Dooku getting along. At least long enough to pose for this picture.

Back:

3893733793_c7213e2425.jpg

Shows some alternate models you can build and a preview of other sets, including 7113, which you can expect a review on shortly.

Instructions:

Front:

3894522836_063571e1c9.jpg

It contains the same image as the box and is quite old and used as you can see. This is one of the few instructions in my library that has been used well.

Back:

3893734397_56265abbcd.jpg

Showing Yoda on his old IBM checking out the new models at www.LEGO.com/starwars

Random page:

3900171870_81f82df70d.jpg

Yoda is just checking out the specs on the rotary girder.

LEGO insert:

Front:

3894523574_9025830f9c.jpg

Anyone remember Jack Stone, because I actually don't.

Back:

3894524014_999707faf9.jpg

Lots and lots of LEGO advertising going on here, and being that I wasn't collecting in 2002, the Life on Mars sets look appealing.

MINIFIGS:

Front:

3894522622_32a4f519e6.jpg

This is the main reason I sought out this set at such a high price: Yoda and Dooku, two fig's that are were hard to come by a year ago. Dooku's Light saber is boss, being it's the only minifig to get it. Yoda was on my list of minifigs to get and of course he comes with the “I'm too short to actually walk” legs. Both worth the original $10 in my opinion, in fact in my opinion they are worth $45. The chrome light saber hilts are a plus too!

An interesting fact is there were 2 prints of Dooku's face, a dark beard which I have in this set and a lighter beard which more closely matches his hairpiece. The lighter version is displayed below courtesy of bricklink.

sw060.jpg

Back:

3893733989_021a5e48b9.jpg

Nice little print job on the back of Yoda's robes and I'll save you the extra picture because there is nothing under Dooku's cape

Ships/stuff:

3893735345_ae31b3b111.jpg

Count Dooku's little speeder is a nice change from the plain Jane speeders, it has two nice printed pieces and is cleverly built. It's got a different design that the original speeder we are used to seeing scout troopers on. It's small but functional, it even has clips for weapons on the side, plus the air intake on the top is a nice touch. I'm not sure if this was the intent, but Count Dooku's cape fit's nicely under the air intake so it looks like it is flowing in the wind. I feel the printed pieces bring this speeder together and it's a nice one off bike for Count Dooku.The rotary girder as I like to call it is simply there for extra pieces; it appears that you can have it break down probably from the force. It's a nice touch but I would have preferred more minifigs, but for ten bucks you can't complain. Enjoy the following different views.

3893735439_263a24cfcc.jpg

3893735519_e52acb7cf3.jpg

3893735583_d5c86dc810.jpg

The girder itself: I felt it deserved some pics alone so you can see the multiple ways it can move.

3894524542_d5a5af9413.jpg

Here you see how if you move up the handle, it allows the crane piece to fall over, why? Not sure, probably a tragic victim of the force, enjoy the next few pics showing it's versatile movements.

3893735847_4613005217.jpg

3894524658_8e9fe11e8a.jpg

3893735991_db9e555bcc.jpg

3893736047_309d288081.jpg

LOOK, It can move the other way. OK, I'm sure you think I'm on a picture quota. I'm done with that piece, I just didn't know how else to show you the availability of movements it had.

Final Product:

3893735709_4c6fe68587.jpg

Dooku shows up and Yoda immediately shows him his force power by moving the crane slightly to the left. That'll show him.

3894524848_18e7c34c69.jpg

Count Dooku is frightened for his life and turns right around (as does the crane) and the sound of Yoda's light saber is too much, Count Dooku retreats like the coward he is.

Totals time

Design: 7/10 I like the ship, even though it's pretty simple, but the crane to me seems useless. It was probably just to fill up the parts list.

Parts: 8/10 I give it such a high score because of the bent light saber hilt, this is the only set you can get it in (until the remake), and it's a marvelous piece. The printed pieces are nice but nothing to write home about. Overall the parts are good for the original money.

Build: 7/10 Nothing too challenging here, very few pieces with a few technic ones thrown in, but easily done in about five minutes.

Minifigs: 9/10 Again, I am rating them so high because of their rarity. Even though they have been remade for the clone wars sets, they are still the originals and that means a lot to some people. Two is definitely not four like today’s battle packs, but back then before any thought of a battle pack, this was a great way to get two rare minifig's.

Playability: 10/10 Ten because it makes sense. It's a scene from the movie, so you already know what to do, but the speeder bike works well, and the crane is just a fun piece you could force throw at Dooku.

Price: 8/10 I think the $10 sets have always been a bargain, but one more minifig would have been nice, not sure who. Anyway, I was willing to drop $45 since they are collectors items so $10 is a bargain.

Total: 49/60 It's a simple set the way they were back in 2002. It features a few good pieces but I think most people bought this set for the minifig's. I really like the smaller set's that LEGO used to do for the Star Wars line, now it seems like everything but the battle packs starts at $25. With that said, if you're a collector you should definitely get this one and if you happen to run across it cheap, pick it up.

Maybe the crane is supposed to be one of the things Yoda and Dooku threw with the Force. Or the thing that almost crushed Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Nice review!

Maybe the crane is supposed to be one of the things Yoda and Dooku threw with the Force. Or the thing that almost crushed Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Nice review!

Much after my review of this set was completed, I was informed by fellow members that it actually is in the LEGO set so you can have Yoda hang on it and swing it around. Makes sense for the playability aspect, but I held true to my review which was originally done for the Reviewers Academy.

Great reveiw :grin: ! I remember seeing this in a Wal-Mart about six months before AOTC came out and almost bought it because the cashier did'nt know anything about Star Wars. A manager then came around the corner and stopped me from buying it because it was'nt supposed to be sold until the movie was out :hmpf: . I argued with the manager and told her there were at least thirty boxes of the set on the shelf and unfortunately I lost :angry: . I eventually bought it and it's probably my most remembered star wars set. Thanks for giving this great set a good review :cry_happy:

Thanks for the review.

I have this set and like it but I find that the crane is a complete miss. Not even my son bothers to take it out to play with and he's eight. They should have either left out the crane or added some more detail/bulkiness to the speeder. At least there are no stickers.

Another great review Big Cam :thumbup:

I really liked this set when it came out. Thought the speeder was a bit to big, so modded it slightly.

But I really liked the set it self. Thanks for the review.

Good Review. When I was younger I sadly didn't pick up this amazing set. Oh how I regret that.

The figs were so great, I wish that they would have included Obi-Wan or Anakin (A Super Battle Droid would have been nice too.)

Though the crane is a tad bit useless it addes a nice touch to the set, I also find that Dookus speeder is a bit odd looking.

Overall this was a great set to own.

I agree. A battle damaged anakin would have been great. Adding anakin and obi-wan probably would have made the set too good of a thing for $10, but I certainly would have paid more, for more figs.

Thanks again for the kind words on my review.

good review :thumbup:

$10

how much is that set worth now?

Bricklink can help you there.

The going price for a sealed one on average is $67.85

I bought mine used and it was only around $30, but that was like 2 years ago.

I suppose it's a little late to say nice review. :thumbup:

I can't believe this set is going for that much. I bought it when it was released and didn't think much of it. I actually prefer the CW Dooku / Yoda. The cheapest used but 100% complete on BL goes for $34. In Australia.

Edited by Sid

Thanks for the review, Big Cam.

Oh how I wish I had bought this set when it was new. The speeder looks awesome, and the minifigs are to die for (or at least pay an arm and a leg for). But alas, I was in a dark age when this set came out.

The little mechanical arm I could do without. Which is a shame, since it is probably a third of the part count.

And for a third minifig, they could easily added an Ep II Obi or Anakin minifig (or both). But they didn't, so there's no use crying over spilled milk.

Another top notch review Big Cam!

I bought almost all the Episode II sets the year they were released and of all of them bought this one last. Minifigs aside, this set was a no-hitter for me. Really disliked the speeder from the moment I got it, and the Yoda's flying device or what I thought was a cradle for the speeder is a waste of parts in my opinion.

That said, at the time Dooku and Yoda - two superb minifigs - were exclusives, making it all the justification I needed to buy. :classic:

Classic set, good minifigs, cool bike, interesting extra parts, cheap (at the time).

Good revieuw.

Thanks for the review 'Big Cam' - I agree the speeder is quite cool ! :grin:

I actually didn't know this set was ever made - interesting !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I never particularly liked this set, it was just something that wasn't appealing to me, so I sold mine.

Thanks for another Great review Cam! :thumbup:

The speeder is nice, love those printed pieces. The figs are Great, I own the light grey bearded Dooku and never new that there was a dark grey one! :oh::wub:

The crane type thing is nice and playable.

Thanks for an awesome review!

CommanderFox

I was unloading a storage unit where I had all my Star Wars stuff stashed and came upon this set. I have no recollection of ever having gotten it. I probably received it for Christmas, never opened it and packed it away. It was like Christmas all over again. I can't tell you how many times I ALMOST bought this set from eBay.