Derek

Prince of Persia 2010

One-shot licenses! It's the way of the future, kids :tongue: The PoP sets won't last 6 months on retail shelves, probably longer at S@H - just like KOTCS.

I know what you mean. I don't think wave 2 of Prince of Persia will ever come. :cry_sad: If so, it'll probably be a single 'limited edition' set.

Are you guys sure? If you ask me, even if the movie doesn't do too good (which I doubt), something tells me the Lego sets certainly will. I haven't seen the movie, but even if there wont be any sequels, I think TLC will be able to get two or three waves out of the first one. :wink:

Are you guys sure? If you ask me, even if the movie doesn't do too good (which I doubt), something tells me the Lego sets certainly will. I haven't seen the movie, but even if there wont be any sequels, I think TLC will be able to get two or three waves out of the first one. :wink:

Unlikely since they only got two years out of Indiana Jones, a theme with four films to draw from and a bigger following than Prince of Persia will ever have.

Don't be to sure that PoP Lego will not have a bigger following among KIDS and thats where it counts anyway! Mostly it depends on how the movie will do. If it succeeds to be just half as popular as Pirates of the karrebian, I bet you we will see sequels to it and LEGO will probably license it further and release sets of it. It has great potential to be a cash cow for LEGO, definitely greater than Indiana Jones ever was. Indiana Jones had great sets, but was largely ignored. Doesn't matter that it had four movies, kids did not recognize it thus it was ignored.

Edited by Shompis

Don't be to sure that PoP Lego will not have a bigger following among KIDS and thats where it counts anyway! Mostly it depends on how the movie will do. If it succeeds to be just half as popular as Pirates of the karrebian, I bet you we will see sequels to it and LEGO will probably license it further and release sets of it. It has great potential to be a cash cow for LEGO, definitely greater than Indiana Jones ever was. Indiana Jones had great sets, but was largely ignored. Doesn't matter that it had four movies, kids did not recognize it thus it was ignored.

"Ignored?" Really? I'd be curious to see Lego's sales data and marketing analysis that you're referring to here. Can you post a link?

"Ignored?" Really? I'd be curious to see Lego's sales data and marketing analysis that you're referring to here. Can you post a link?

I'd like to see the sales data for Indiana Jones as well.

Personally I thought the line was the best use of a licence outside of the Star Wars franchise, however I appreciate that without the same expanded universe carrying the line forward would probably be more difficult. I don't expect the Toy Story or PoP lines to last too long either, however I'm not sure that is necessarily a bad thing. Dragging these things out too long often kills the freshness of the product and inevitably takes shelf space away from something new and exciting.

Well I hope POP survives till wave 2. The biggest sell points here are new Camels and Ostrices.

I hope if we do get a wave 2 it will have Lions, elephants(rerealesed) tigers.

I'm surprised though I thought the big set would have some blue decorative pieces, not just gold.

There's been a lot of chatter here about the continuation of the LEGO license being dependant on the Sands of Time movie. But be aware that the Prince of Persia license isn't just a movie but a highly popular games license which has seen 7 games across a variety of formats with an 8th in development. The games are extremely popular and have a huge following... hence the production of movie!

The chances are most kids/teens/AFOLS have played at least one of the games, most likely more, and the chances are they'll go see the movie. I've played several of the games, I'm going to see the film and damn, I'm definately buying some of those sets! I'm not the typical consumer but hopefully I illustrate my point. Certainly it's something to think about when considering the longetivity of the license.

I'd love to see what a 2nd wave brings but if there isn't one I'll be happy just oning some of these fine sets, parts and minifigs. :sweet:

Pfft! Which is more crazy - thinking that Amazon used dodgy washed-out images, or that LEGO invented a whole new version of browny orange when they're constantly telling us that they're reducing the parts selection and chopping back at the colour palette?
Option three; you! :tongue:

Get a room? :laugh:

Why is Lego using Japanese swords for Prince of Persia? That doesn't make any sense. :cry_sad: Why can't they make another scimitar that will fit in the sheeths on the Prince's back? Does anybody know why Lego did this? :sceptic: I know that Lego doesn't like to make more parts but, that is rediculous. :hmpf_bad:

P.S. Thanks for the great pictures YG_49. :classic:

Eh, I've no interest in Prince of Persia (I hated the game :sick: ) but maybe some of the sets would be good to mix in with LEGO Indy stuff... :pir_laugh2:

Then again, if another movie was made, there must be another wave, or at least, that's what I hope.

Thanks for the new pics!

So does the smallest set contain 3 figs and a horse or 4 figs? And will it have the muscle torso or the black one? I don't get it....

So does the smallest set contain 3 figs and a horse or 4 figs? And will it have the muscle torso or the black one? I don't get it....

Call me crazy, but I think "Desert Attack" with 57 parts, 3 figs and a horse... set in the desert... will end up being a different set than "Hassasin's Hideout" with 80 parts, 4 figs and an in-door weapons rack.

(By the way, to my eye that's not a 2x2 jumper holding Hassasin's fire pit - that's an upside-down 2x2 tile.)

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that pic! If it isn't, I'll tear it apart for parts.

Prince of Persia game?It has many rare pieces,though:

5b8169cba6e4.jpg

Holy Cow, are all those pearl gold round 2x2 tiles?! :oh: Plus a gold dome, printed 2x4 manuscript tile, and bottles & cystals in rare colors?

SOLD! :thumbup:

Holy crud, I didn't realise those were tiles! I thought they were game markers or something. If you've noticed all those SNOT 1x4s on the outside of Battle of Alamut, those tiles would go great there. If I get this, I'll probably never even play it, just tear it apart. :tongue:

One-shot licenses! It's the way of the future, kids :tongue: The PoP sets won't last 6 months on retail shelves, probably longer at S@H - just like KOTCS.

In fairness, KOTCS (assuming you mean "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," as in "Indiana Jones and the...," and not something I'm not aware of :blush: ) isn't a whole license unto itself, but part of the larger Indiana Jones theme, and I actually did see some of those sets on shelves for upwards of a year - all of the second wave (the KotCS release wave) except Jungle Duel, in fact. I could even still find Jungle Cutters on shelves in stores in my area until less than a month ago.

I do doubt Prince of Persia will have much staying power, though. It's hard to see it outperforming either Indiana Jones or Batman as a licensed theme, and that's even if the movie is successful; if not, I expect the theme to last about as long as the Speed Racer one did.

(To be honest, I hope this is the case, since what I really want is for the Indy theme to return, and if the reason for the hiatus is to make room in the lineup for Prince of Persia, well... )

Unlikely since they only got two years out of Indiana Jones, a theme with four films to draw from and a bigger following than Prince of Persia will ever have.

As I understand it, Indiana Jones wasn't permanently canceled outright but put on hiatus, specifically to make room for Prince of Persia. I don't know if they will bring the theme back, but I'm confident they could indeed get quite a bit more out of the theme if they so choose. I'm currently hoping they bring Indy back next year. There's no new movie due then, but there is the 30th anniversary, at least, and that'd give them another potential marketing hook around which to stage the theme's relaunch...

Feh! :tongue:

The Battle of Almut and Quest of Time sets are available for pre-order on TRU Canada, shipping March 9th. Shipping also free on them, for now.

Since the pictures in the first post are down, here are a few official pictures thanks to Toysn'Bricks' Flickr.

4344913498_13fb3603ab_o.jpg

4344173441_051a1ab5a2_o.jpg

Sorry if these have been seen before, but at least the pics in the first post can be fixed.

Don't kill me if I'm wrong, but are those new swords that the assassin guard and the black guy coming out of the gate on the battle of amulet?

Don't kill me if I'm wrong, but are those new swords that the assassin guard and the black guy coming out of the gate on the battle of amulet?

Nope. The dark-skinned figure just has the standard Castle shortsword, while the other guard has the Arabian sword from the India Adventurers sets (and the 4+ Pirates), but in dark bley.

So, when will the prince of persia sets be released? I thought it might be in April but, that is pure speculation. Has anybody heard anything from Lego? :classic:

Probably in the February/March wave. That's when the movie is coming out.