Bonaparte

The end of LEGO Pirates by mid 2010

And now, with that over with, it's time for International Talk Like a Pirate Day! :pir-sweet: Everyone, drop what you're doing and run on over to LEGO.com!

Oh, but don't look for it there next year. Pirates are overrated. LEGO is doing the smart thing, discontinuing them by summer 2010, and keeping the same old sets on the shelves for another year! :thumbup:

I mean, who really wants the Pirates theme? Perhaps a poultry 99.999% of LEGO fans? I mean, who needs the line? LEGO has much bigger and better things planned for us, things that come in lime green and hot pink! :pir-sweet:

You know what would be really smart? Discontinuing the City theme! No one buys those! :pir-laugh: We should change this forum to "Power Miners" and the Town forum to "Belville."

Sarcasm is oh so sweet when it will do nothing at all. Why have LEGO Ambassadors if LEGO won't listen to them? Bye bye, Miss Piratical Pie.

We wanted Bluecoats so bad, and what does the Lego company give us, grief, nothing but grief.

What a let-down :thumbdown:

Edited by Ratshot

A foolhardy move. A foolhardy, boorish, idiotic word (thank you, thesaurus). To see one of Lego's greatest themes (and its greatest rebirth, EVER) in its death throes is both discouraging and depressing. I have so much left to collect! They have so many ideas to create and build upon! But no...."let's licence Disney!" and then "let's revive POTC!" leads to fleshies, bungling bluecoats (ugh) and high prices. This is a folly, Lego! You're killing my dreams and the dreams of my people. (that's you guys :pir-wink: )

I am actually glad about this news. Too many times in this modern world have I seen companies extend an idea beyond its expiration date. I don't know that one main release of pirates was necessarily enough to be considered expired, but better too early than too late. And besides, everyone knows they will come out with more in a few years.

It's at times like these that I'm reminded that the beauty of Lego is that if official sets are not released, we can always build our own. Just a thought for those on the proverbial ledge.

i dont think they expected it to sell this well, and so theres no second line. hopefully theres the second one in the works, but im guessing it takes time designing sets. well, theres two sets i want to buy.

its a shame we got only one ship, but its a nice one and its very easy to change into a two deck without haveing to change the cabin design.

i think ill get more cannon battles and a soldgiers "fort"(or Port) to finish off my buying (maybe the ship wreck but i dont fell the need, loot island is a tempting buy-again if i find one).

Thanks for sharing the news B, but I'm very sorry to hear this. It really makes one ask, "What the hell is Lego thinking"?

I consider this similar to the discontinuation of 9V trains. So many of us love the theme and have purchased multiple sets. I see kids looking at the Pirate sets in the toy aisle, just as with Star Wars. Instead, we get a watered down Atlantis theme with focus on vehicles like Aqua Raiders.

Very sad news indeed - come on Lego.

i dont think they expected it to sell this well, and so theres no second line.

This is my glimmer of hope aswell.

In the UK the smaller sets (Cannon Battle/ Kraken Attackin) were available in supermarkets (in Asda at least), alongside the usual Toys R Us & Independent Shops (the full range), and I got the impression that they were selling, and then restocking.

I do think that, as Bonaparte states, they did sell well.

If this is the case, and they were testing the water with the 2009 line, is it not better for Lego to spend 2010 developing the theme, than rushing out poorly thought out sets for release next year?

The new parts, printed flags, Minifigs with prints on the back, are surely a big commitment for Lego, so IF the theme did sell well, they will not want to waste this investment for the handfull of sets so far released.

The dreaded spectre of a Fleshie Licensed Comeback is worrying, but on the other hand they have a well developed cast of characters that they do not have to pay royalties for, so it makes sense to exploit these for all that they are worth.

Edited by mikey

Thank you very much for this information, Bonaparte! :pir-classic:

First of all I must say that I don't collect Pirates sets and so I even did not buy one single set of this new line and even do not plan to.

Nevertheless you perhaps remembered that from time to time I drop by. And I must admit that I really liked and still like looking at the pics of the new Pirates sets since they indeed look all awesome! :pir-wub:

Since there could be that many sets to complete this line - mainly islanders but even some additions to the soldier's harbor, perhaps a bigger pirates island etc. and what is a new Pirates line without a big soldier's ship?! :imperialguard_commander1: - and since alll the sets out surely sold and still sell very well I really do not understand why TLG stops this line!

Please forgive me if I'm sometimes writing in a bit unfriendly way but why do that :pir-sick: themes like Power Miners and Space Police get their second wave (or even more waves), that :pir-sick: new themes like Atlantis (which is in principle absolutely the same like Power Miners - but underwater) are released - but that :pir-wub: themes like the new Pirates theme are discontinued?! That is really strange and makes me thinking! :pir-sad:

it's hard to foresee what new themes they can come up with to replace these seemingly well off franchises.

Oh, it's very well to foresee, posades - an :pir-sick: theme called Atlantis and a <insert that tiresome argument> licensed theme called Ben10 :imperialguard_commander1: - that's what I call the "high quality of Lego themes and sets"! :pir-sad:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Wow. That sucks. But I was wondering if they'd do a Pirates of the Caribbean line with the new Disney license. I guess in the way that the space theme was supplanted by the SW license, pirates may be supplanted by the Disney license.

It doesn't matter though, that there may still be a licensed "pirates" line. In the end, the real pirates line is no more, and that's a shame. Ah well. I'm disappointed, and doubly more so that the Pirates Advent Calendar won't be coming to North America (not even Canada). I'm glad I managed to buy every set in this short-lived line, and I'd have been more than willing to part with my money would there be more sets to purchase. I was hoping for a few more ships, some town elements (a real pirates shanty town or something), etc.

The only thing I can't believe is that they'll let pirates languish in favor of other--IMHO--inferior lines. There's only been one wave of actual sets, and the second wave of the pirates theme consisting of accessories and auxillary sets have been lame at best. On the other hand, Agents had a second wave of sets, which IMHO was vastly inferior to the first wave.

So long, pirates. We hardly knew ye.

Awesome! I am glad the Pirates line is to be discontinued, the new look was far too bright and goofy, just uninteresting sets. I am really hoping that this will allow the arrival of a Pirates of the Caribbean IV theme - it's time for a decent licensed theme besides Star Wars (which less of a theme and more like the flagship line of the company). This is great news, I hope to have Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa minifigs in two years time...

No LEGO! Why? Why did you destroy the awesome sauce pirates? I was looking forward to the future: Islanders, Bluecoats, and more pirates. Why oh why did TLC inject it's self with sales killer? :pir_bawling:

Awesome! I am glad the Pirates line is to be discontinued, the new look was far too bright and goofy, just uninteresting sets. I am really hoping that this will allow the arrival of a Pirates of the Caribbean IV theme - it's time for a decent licensed theme besides Star Wars (which less of a theme and more like the flagship line of the company). This is great news, I hope to have Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa minifigs in two years time...

What. You would prefer a licensed theme instead of a classic? :pir-sad: You are a heretic!!!

This is horrible news! I thought that they would at least have one more round of sets. I guess I need to stock up on all the sets now. I can't believe this!

:pir_bawling: that is absolutely ridiculous!!! i cant believe that they would discontinue the pirates theme!! wasn't there a forum about what we wanted in the next line of pirates(sent from TLG)?? did they not find that the 200+ people from EB and all the others from brothers brick(FROM PRIMARILY AMERICAN AFOLS) to be a very large number for PRIMARILY PIRATE FANS signing a petition asking for te advent calendar??? this doesn't include children of America OR ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!!!! including afols who don't use these forums!!! i am outraged!!! how could lego do this? i foresaw great things for 2010 pirates... my dreams are now shattered...

THANKS ALOT LEGO!!!! :pir-angry:

Edited by andy0002

Being a die hard pirates fan, I'm also very very much saddened by this news. I've received the news already a few days ago, but didn't want to post it at first, I just couldn't. I must admit I don't get it. Why kill such a wonderful theme after one wave of sets? We will do everything we can to fight for the return of Pirates!

You know, I'm surprised no one has caught on yet. :pir-sceptic: Lego just acquired the Disney license, and Lego discontinues there pirate line by mid 2010... And what movie is coming out in 2011..... Yup, the 4th installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie. lets put two and two together people. :pir-blush:

I don't think the pirates will be back anytime soon. :pir-cry_sad:

Well, we still have some time to stock up on the remaining sets before the dark age begins! I hope LEGO makes an ancients theme next year or the following. I'll be still happy for a little while.

I hope Pirates gets two medium sets next year. Like the Viking did.

This is a shame !! :pir_bawling:

Why do we have to suffer from themes such as power miners or agents - and another classic theme just disappears for no better reason than "wasn't designed to be an ongoing theme" ????

Will Lego ever care about the real needs of real customers (or even more about big spender AFOLs.... ?) ?

So again we have to switch to our beloved second hand supply chain for some pirates & imperial soldiers....

That's sad.... after they made so many new molds and revived even more, it's sad to see it end so suddenly. I assume it's being bumped in favor of the new licenses.

Im guessing that Pirates will be back in 2011... But then as a license theme...

Hopefully this happens. I've never been attracted to sets that try to be too historically accurate or too concerned with mimicing real life like the original Castle or Pirates lines (I absolutely loathe City). I became interseted in Castle when it started going fantasy. I'd become interested in Pirates if it went licensed. There'd be some neat figs there. Of course, who's going to care about sets when they're spending all day on Lego U? heh heh heh

WHAT THE F???

Well I am really going to stock up on the figs now.

Lego could you through us a bone and make a minifig set with some blue coats? You have the design, just invert the colors and put them out there. Make a 4 pack like all the Star Wars packs.

Though I prefer the normal lego pirates theme, a PoTC theme might actually not be that bad. Think about it- we could have a Port Royal set, a Fort Charles, some Royal Navy and Pirate ships... It might not be too bad. Of course, it'll be in flesh tones, so I'd probably only use the torsos and hats, but it might actually be cool! What are your thoughts on this?

This is pretty disappointing, but I have to say that I am not really surprised. The lack of new sets on display at Comic-con for Pirates and the lack of new, unique minifigures in the Pirate Advent calendar were both signs that the Pirates were being faded out.

I agree that the POTC license is likely the reason for the change. Especially since LEGO and Disney have a partnership over Toy Story and Prince of Persia, which is now an acquired Disney property. Now, with that in mind, since Disney has also acquired Marvel in an effort to expand there boy lines, we may also see Marvel superhero sets in the future. Something to think about, at least.