Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

Best SW set in the 10 years of Lego Star Wars

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hello everybody! :classic:

Although this year is really not still going towars its final end, all sets for this year have been released and so I had an idea:

There are now 10 years of Lego Star Wars! (What an exciting news! :grin: )

Of course there were not only amazing sets - there were some average sets, too, and even some poor sets. And the likes and dislikes of everyone of us are of course different, too. But I think that all in all there have been ten great years with lots and lots of awesome sets with great vehicles, brilliant minifigs and nice additional stuff.

But which is your favourite Lego Star Wars set of all these many sets which have been released in these past 10 years?

Let us know - comments are welcome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by KimT

So many great sets to choose from.

I'd definately go for one of the UCS sets.

For now I can't choose between the X-Wing, Rebel Blockade Runner and Millenium Falcon. :sceptic:

But I guess that the Millenium Falcon wins in the end - bigger better and more epic :sweet:

The mighty and legendary 4483 AT-AT :cry_happy: . I still remember the christmas morning I woke up and it was there in all it

Edited by darkrebellion

My vote would go to the UCS Imperial Star Destroyer 10030. A hugely impressive set when displayed.

10188 Death Star. It is my favorite and not likely to be topped, IMO. It has everything, size, playability and tons of minifigs. It's my favorite Lego set of any theme.

-John

Really hard to choose, but I'd go for 10188 Death Star as my number 1 - a joy to build. 10030 ISD would be my second choice - not such an interesting build, but the finished model is awe-inspiring. Third place goes to the UCS Rebel Blockade Runner which I still can't bear to deconstruct even though I need the space !

I didn't include the UCS Millenium Falcon in my votes because I haven't built it yet - it's safely packed away waiting for my Christmas Holidays when I will have uninterrupted time to build it !

Dr. D

I can't pick one, namely becasue I don't own a bunch of the expensive sets so I can't truley comment on them.

I'd have to say the UCS Millenium Falcon

or the UCS death star

or the Endor base (I freakin love it)

or the RGS, another of my favorites

I just can't choose.

Best SW set ever?

Hard choice, there is quite a few good ones, the original Republic Gunship which I like very much and which is modified ad infinitum, the Battle of Endor (Big Cam is right, it`s great), the original MTT for its sheer simplicity or the old AT-AT, which I sadly don`t have but still admire.

But for the best of them all, I am with wooten and Dr.D, the Death Star: Huge set (and it deserves a capital H), loads of good minifigs and tons of play features.

On a side note, it seems that I (and possibly other people too) rather preefer the older variation of a specific vehicle in case there is several. Interesting.

10188 Death Star is definately the centre piece of my collection and in my opinion one of the most awesome sets ever conceived! The functions, features and sheer number of minifigs are unparalleled. I had a blast building it, playing with it, setting up the scenes for display and now... dusting it :laugh:

There's been so many great sets though, especially since 2006. Amongst them, both incarnations of the Republic Gunship are awesome and have a great selection of minifigs. Out of the starfighters, the accurate design and superb detail of the 7658 Y-wing make it a big win!

There are a lot of amazing sets, but a lot of bad sets too.

Here ist my TOP 3:

-7171 Mos Espa Podrace (it was one of my first SW sets, with pretty nice figures)

-7163 Republic Gunship (it looks better than the new TCW version and the minifigures are rare today)

-7667 Imperial Dropship (this set isn't very big, but it's a good army builder for the imperial forces)

Like everyone has said, there's been plenty of wonderful sets, along with some poor ones, but my favorite will always be 10019 UCS Corellian Corvette. It was a stunning model when it came out and still looks fantastic today even with all the advances Lego has made since.

For me, it has to be 4483 AT-AT - majestic, precise and dramatic from every angle, especially from the front low-down looking up at it front-on, it is so accurate it is mind blowing...

It's great to see that there are so many people interested in this topic! :thumbup:

I totally agree with many of you which say that there have been that many awesome SW sets - mainly in the last years - released by TLG that it is really very hard to vote for the one favourite or "best" of all.

Nevertheless - after a long time of thinking - my vote goes to the

10188 Death Star :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

since it includes that many scenes to play, a lot of awesome minifigures and brilliant interior design. :oh:

I regrettably don't own this set since I can't afford it. :cry_sad: Nevertheless it's my favourite SW set of the past ten years and I really hope that in some years I'll have enough money to be aible to buy it. :sceptic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

A hard choice. Perhaps tomorrow I would say the 4483 AT-AT or the 4502 X-Wing, but today I say the 7658 Y-Wing.

It actually has everything one wouldn't chose it for the the best set in 10 years: not lots of minifigs, no rare ones or rare parts, it is not expensive or huge, and it is still available for even little money.

But I like it. :classic: The shape is so cool, it is full of details and the engines were the most clever and fun build I had in a long time. It just opens your eyes.

And with some mods (I always do that) you can have it a nice cockpit, top laser and landing gear. Actually, I own three. I only have more Stormtrooper BPs I guess.

-7171 Mos Espa Podrace

Agreed! This set is a real beaty with pretty good minifigs and loads of playability and parts!

Like everyone has said, there's been plenty of wonderful sets, along with some poor ones, but my favorite will always be 10019 UCS Corellian Corvette. It was a stunning model when it came out and still looks fantastic today even with all the advances Lego has made since.

I second that - an amazing set!

The Death Star, hands down! This set has tons of playability and an incredible amount of great minifigs! And due to its large size, it provides many days of building fun. No one could have asked for more, and TLG have done a truly outstanding job on it! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I do not own it. The set that I personally enjoyed most is Mos Espa Podrace. It is highly detailed, has lots of figs as well, and is in true minifig scale! :thumbup:

Here is to another ten years of great SW sets! :yoda:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Although this type of topice seems very familiar, here I go one more time, with a rundown of the best sets of the last 10 years:

3. 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer: an incredible concept when it came out, and still an incredibly impressive set to look at (but no dirty looks, or it will fall apart!). The best true UCS Lego set EVER.

2. 10188 Death Star Playset: again, an incredible concept when it was revealed. SW lego fans had been clammering for a Death Star play set for years, but most expected a watered down set, comparable to Cloud City. Instead, it was perfect. A huge 2' ball, with all the rooms and settings to recreate the scenes from both ANH and RotJ. This set is in close contention with my nr. 1 set, but only just loses out, and only due to sentimental reasons.

1. 4483 AT-AT! When the very first pictures appeared, taken at a German toyfair, I was as giddy as a schoolgirl! I counted down the days 'til it became available, and I lost a good couple of nights sleep just thinking about how cool this set was going to be. When I finally found one on a shop shelf (and it was at a time when SW Lego was hard to find in the Netherlands!) I was SO happy. And I wasn't disappointed. It was WAY ahead of it's time in accuracy and design, compared to other sets which were available back then. Definitely not the biggest set in my collection, but the one I have the fondest memories of. And it's the only large set I have of which I bought a full price second one!

Edited by Alldarker

Guess I'll go with the majority here and say 4483 AT AT. Nothing can top the sheer awsomeness of that set. Well, yes, there also is that UCS ISD but somehow I don't feel like they're in the same category. One is hugely impressive showcase model and the other one looks incredible and has fantastic playability... So I'd say they're on par...

But the designers at TLC are really starting to get out of hand, lately. They're really making incredible work. So later sets are looking better and better... So maybe someday they'll manage to out top that AT AT...

If you want best SW set, regardless of everything, probably UCS deathstar. So playable, so iconic and combines the best of both minifig sets and UCS.

Though if I would say which set is bang for the buck? It'll be 6212 X-wing. The better X-wing build imo, looks great, great playability, and a whole bunch of famous minifigs for incredible value.