Sign in to follow this  
The Who

Simple question about deleting posts

I was wondering, if a post is deleted, what happens to the rest of posts' numbers on that page?

Example:

--Hinckley posts some Turkey bag-building nonsense on an existing page, and Siegfried feels it is not needed, so he deletes the post.

--Hinck's post was the fifth one on the page.

--Does the sixth post assume the position of the fifth, and so on? Or would it just skip from fourth to sixth post numbers?

Hopefully that makes sense, thanks to whoever can answer that. :classic:

As a general rule of thumb, we try to not delete anyone's posts. Because if someone has replied to Hinckley's rubbish, then when Hinckley's post is removed, the person who replied looks silly because they aren't really quoting anything. If it wasn't needed Siegfried would probably have a quiet word with Hinck but the post would only be removed if it was offensive. Even then it would probably only be moved.

But why would Hinckley make a bad post anyway?

Post 2

Sieggy: Post? Demonstartion? I'll take part. :grin: So, uh.... /post (This is going to make me look like a moron, isn't it?

I remember something about Hinck saying that the mods try not to delete posts if they don't have to. :wink:

Post 4

Edited by Siegfried the Sinner
Inserted post number

I know the answer, but let's demonstrate! Somebody make a post and I'll then delete this one....

Post 3

I remember something about Hinck saying that the mods try not to delete posts if they don't have to. :wink:

We do, but this is just once case...

Post 5

by the looks of things unless you add a post number it dosent seem to change.

this threads post 7, my post 100

Edited by muffinman42

by the looks of things unless you add a post number it dosent seem to change.

So you're saying that if the posts weren't edited to have text post numbers the actual post numbers wouldn't change? If so, that has just been demonstrated to be incorrect.

But why would Hinckley make a bad post anyway?
I just used the names of the first pair of pals that came to mind. :wink:
Yes.
Thanks!

Really appreciate that, it's been bugging me for some time now. I finally remembered where to ask such a question. :blush:

So you're saying that if the posts weren't edited to have text post numbers the actual post numbers wouldn't change? If so, that has just been demonstrated to be incorrect.

no i meant that unless you rememeber a post it wont be noticed as missing, sorry my meaning wasnt very clear there.