peterab

How to attach bogies to 7 wide carriages

traintech1.jpg

I've been stumped by a problem for the last few days. I want to build some seven wide carriages but I cant think how to attach the bogie plates to the carriage floor since the pin and hole would end up aligned with a row of studs. I'm sure this must be a known problem and has solutions so a link to photos would be very helpful to me.

Hey man, good question.

I have never tried before, but I would think that using the standard pin bogie top is a bad move. Instead I would have a go at using these parts to make the bogies swivel and to centre them on the car base I would use these parts in the same way as many 5-wide cars are made.

Good luck. :classic:

Alternately use 1x4 or longer technic plates (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4263) as the center row with additional plates above to secure. This will provide the hole for a standard bogie plate. I've used this for 9 wide which is sightly easier as this permits 4x wide plates to flank it. For 7x wide probably best to flank with rows of 1x plates and then 2x plates on the outside. This will let you secure across using 5x wide liftarms and still leave a row of studs on the outside to attach the walls.

- BMW

Puzzle with this piece:

3794.gif

Bottom a 4 stud wide and then use a lot of the piece shown above. Puzzle a little bit and you have a 7 stud wide wagon.

I've been stumped by a problem for the last few days. I want to build some seven wide carriages but I cant think how to attach the bogie plates to the carriage floor since the pin and hole would end up aligned with a row of studs. I'm sure this must be a known problem and has solutions so a link to photos would be very helpful to me.

use one of these it gives you the offset you need and its strong

Like suggested above I've always used 3176.png and 1xN technic plates (I recommend using 1x6 or 1x8 if possible as 1x4 has too little attachment for lighter trains). I've also used studless technic before but found it was more of a pain than a benefit.

Another way is to make a 4-wide base and use brackets to hold 2 x plates + a tile on the lower levels. You can then sit a 7-wide shell on top of that which will be pretty much the same size. This will be stronger and lighter but needs a bit of time to get used to and only works for certain prototypes.

3914319194_6bb5c59eb4_m.jpg

Tim

Edited by gambort