Piranha

Favorite LEGO Train Station

traintech1.jpg

Now there haven't been many, I counted the ones on BrickLink and could only come up with five (5)

Also three have the same name :laugh:

2150- Train Station (1996)

4556- Train Station (1999)

7997- Train Station (2007)

The two others are

4513- Grand Central Station (2003)

4554- Metro Station (1992)

This doesn't include the ones they occasionally feature in the train sets that come with track and locomotives

My personal favorite is 2150 which is a thing of a beauty :wub:

2150-1.jpg

I couldn't find any for the 12v or 4.5 time eras, which makes me wonder why?

Do train stations sell good? Most likely only people who own trains will buy train stations

Also train models are limited to 1 or 2 every so often

The only reason I can think of for why Train stations are not often released

Your thoughts :classic:

Edited by Macoco

Nice topic!

I only own the 7997 from 2007, but I think it's a great set for the price it was released here. Lots of useful parts - such as the large trans-clear panels and black roof slopes - and it looked cheerful and sturdy. It also had some nice interior detail and I liked the roofing area. It felt like a proper City building, which we hadn't seen in a long time (compared to 2006's Hospital, or even 2007's fire station).

I don't hate the 2003 World City version, but I don't love it either. It seems too small, somehow, for a Grand Central Station. I quite liked World City's attempts to include more modern architectura stylings into their designs, although I know some have mixed feelings about this.

I do agree that the 1996 one is the best, though. It's an impressive size and nicely detailed. With all the 2x2 window parts around now, and black roof pieces, it probably wouldn't be too hard for builders who missed this the first time around to mod their own.

Also, do Licensed stations count? :tongue: The 10132 Motorised Hogwarts is actually a cute little building with some rare parts.

Maybe you could put links in your post so it's easier to look them up...

How come you love the 2150 and did not mentioned the 4554?

The 4555 is a cargo station:

4555-1.jpg

The 4554 is the yellow version of 2150, which I love:

4554-1.jpg

A second place is for 7822:

7822-1.jpg

Now there haven't been many, I counted the ones on BrickLink and could only come up with five (5)

Also three have the same name :laugh:

2150- Train Station (1996)

4556- Train Station (1999)

7997- Train Station (2007)

The two others are

4513- Grand Central Station (2003)

4555- Metro Station (1992)

Tough choice

I own the 7997, but this is not the station the way I would like it;

7997-1.jpg

The 4556 is not really looking like a station to me.

4556-1.jpg

The 4513 is also a bit strange

4513-1.jpg

and indeed the 4555 is a cargo station.

Stations that I do like is Amsterdam Central, but also a more modern station like the Amsterdam zuidoost station.

my assumption would be that I have to MOC them. I will have to decide which one I would like. :classic:

Front Amsterdam central

Centraal3.jpg

Overview

Amsterdam_centraal_side.jpg

Amsterdam zuidoost

Station-Bijlmer-17-11-2007.jpg

1. 4554 Metro Station - 1991 - :cry_happy:

2. 2150 Train Station - 1996 - I prefer the colours of the 1991 one.

3. 7997 Train Station - 2007 - Best station in years, but not as good as no. 1 and 2.

My favourite station wasnt a set but was suggested in ideas book 241. Its from the blue era and its scale means that its not really suitable for minifigs. I guess to some it may look a little simple but to me it has a kind of modern realism. Its similar to the sort of architecture I see every day going to work in the former East Berlin. Heres a better picture from a fan at bricklink:

station006.jpg

Another ideas book station is this one from ideas book 240.

I got set 148 as a Christmas present in the 70s and loved it but it would have been better if it had used printed bricks instead of all those stickers which eventually got damaged and lost after endless rebuilds.

I like 7822 best of the later models.

As you can see I like my stations to have foot bridges!

Edited by mendes

Also, do Licensed stations count? :tongue: The 10132 Motorised Hogwarts is actually a cute little building with some rare parts.

Maybe you could put links in your post so it's easier to look them up...

Heretic! Purist vintage town and City only! :tongue:

Good suggestion, adding links would be very helpful for people to see

I didn't want to include a massive picture post, but links are a good alternative

There were a couple more at least from the 4.5V era

http://www.peeron.com/scans/342-1/

http://www.peeron.com/scans/148-1/

And from the grey 12V era;

http://www.peeron.com/scans/7822-1/

http://www.peeron.com/scans/7824-1/

I think the 4554 metro station is my favorite.

Thanks for contributing those, it was not easy for me because I am not familiar with those train eras

The other stations I mentioned I did know about, so it is easier if you have a know how :sweet:

How come you love the 2150 and did not mentioned the 4554?

The 4555 is a cargo station:

4555-1.jpg

The 4554 is the yellow version of 2150, which I love:

4554-1.jpg

A second place is for 7822:

7822-1.jpg

Good point made, I did see the cargo stations, but I was thinking along the lines of passenger or civilian train stations

However it is fine to include these because some are very good like the ones you mentioned :classic:

Great replies, everyone I really enjoyed reading them!

Edited by Macoco

This is a very interesting and great topic, Macoco! :thumbup:

My favourite train station is (although I regrettably don't own it (until now)) the

4554 Metro Station :wub:

since it has an excellent architecture, is colored in yellow (and so not in the always so often used red-white-black), it includes a great interior and great minifigs plus a lovely small car and nice accessory.

I own the 4556 Train Station which is imo not that awesome than 4554 but nevertheless great, too, since it includes a great interior, great minifigs and nice accessory. :wub:

7997 is imo a flop - the exterior looks more like a station for a very small village, there is nearly no interior, the big windows don't go with the ancient architecture and it does absolutely not fit that the roof already begins on the first floor. :thumbdown:

The passenger train stations from the 70s and 80s are all nice - but imo too simple in comparison to the buildings TLG offers now. :sceptic:

4513 is looks quite ok but it includes imo to many too big windows. :thumbup:

2150 is nearly as awesome as 4554 but I don't like the red color that much (since red is that often used in City buildings). :thumbup:

The cargo train stations - totally equal from which year and decade - look all brilliant! :oh:

Klaus-Dieter

Civilian

My favorites listed in order. I own the 7822. I will either buy or get the parts required to build 7824 at some point, and my younger brother has 2150. I prefer it in Red, although the yellow 4554 does stand out.

1. 7822 Train Station
  2. 7824 Train Station
  3. 2150 Trainstation

Cargo

My favorites listed in order. I never owned, but will definitely build 4555 one day. I own 7838 and 7839. The early 4.5 Volt sets are really nice too but lack the playability compared to the sets that came later.

1. 4555 Freight Loading Station
  2. 7838 Goods Loading Terminal
  3. 7839 Car Carrier Platform

Edited by missouri_bb63

1. 4554 Metro Station - 1991 - :cry_happy:

2. 2150 Train Station - 1996 - I prefer the colours of the 1991 one.

3. 7997 Train Station - 2007 - Best station in years, but not as good as no. 1 and 2.

That's the line-up of train stations I like best. :thumbup:

Benny

What about a poll?

I had originally done this topic as a poll, but then changed it because I thinkpolls mostly show what the majority of members prefer one choice vs another, This topic I wanted to be discussion oriented for everyone to share their comments.

However I think a poll would be nice, but perhaps divided categories for cargo and civilian stations.

:classic:

Hey,

I'm new here, and I saw that you wanted to build the Amsterdam central station...

I am in te proces of building on right now...

I'll put a link to some pictures...

Link:

My link

There are some photo's...

Mathijs

I'm going to go totally the opposite way - I never really liked any of them and didn't buy a station :wink: I'm not a spoilsport, just that to me the platforms were never long enough to even get a basic 7740 (loco and 2 carriages) "in" the station completely. I don't see the point of a platform that's only long enough for one carriage. Sadly that philosophy now means I have platforms 160 studs long.....

Andy (ready to take the stick!)

My personal favorite is 2150 Train Station from 1996. I liked the 4554 as well but, I think red looks much better. I think its most elegant than the others. Like it came out of the 1930's. This was the second Lego train set my parents bought me as a kid and one of my favorite sets I own. :classic:

I own 7822 and 7824 to go with my 12V trains. I really like both but 2150 is the best station Lego has brought out in my opinion. I owned two which I planned to combine and use them with my 9V layout (just a Santa Fe and Emerald Night) and modular houses, but it looked so small compared to the rest that I decided to sell them. Unless Lego brings out a train station Exclusive/Modular, I guess I'll build my own (maybe 2150 inspired).

I don't really mind if a layout is not so realistic or if the scale is off, as long as everything is of that standard. That means that I like an 80's house as much as new Creator house, but not side by side.

Sorry, but I have to confess my favourite LEGO Station is set number 148 from 1975!

I do have the new City station, but I have always been a fan of LEGO sets with set numbers below 1000!

148-1.1105127482.thumb2.jpg

I guess a lot of users of this site don't have too many sets down in the 100's!

And to go with the station....favourite train set of all time is 171 - I have five!

Edited by retrotecchie

My Favorite Train station is the 7822,the minifig can reach all the rail,you can place light brick,and there is a big clock;the 12 v era was the best!

You also did not mention 7937, the station from 2010, and this is also my favourite... i made one station out of two sets.....just click on the link to see the result !!!

Made of 2 sets 7937

Greetz, LegoSjaak

My favorite is 4554, though I never had any stations (mainly because I bought a train not so long ago). But that yellow one looks really great, it had as much detail as it should. Everything at the right place. I don't think other sets are bad, but I consider this one to be a genuine one indeed.

My favourite passenger stations are 7822

12volt-258.jpg

and 148

4volt-029.jpg

the concept of the bridge over train track is amazing :blush: ...and this is the reason why for the freight stations I like so much the 149 set (blue and gray era :classic: )

4volt-014.jpg

12volt-178.jpg

my fav is 4554, second would have to be 7822 and finally 7824 which i hope to rebuild very soon but the best one is featured on the back of my instructions for 7725 and i dont think you can get even though I'd love to have a crack at building it

My favourite has go to be 7822 and 7824. Both classic in their own right, and used mainly standard pieces.

The later 7997 was good, and looks like today's stations. The latest one is a bit rubbish, apart from the footbridge. Very poor.

Edited by Brickimad