SlyOwl

Like a rhinestone cowboy...

Oh, greatness! This is one impressive creation, I have to say, and it certainly has that Wild West feeling to it. :wink:

All the action and minifigs look great, and you've used some unconventional techniques with the landscaping.

I have a bit of a problem with the "eskewed" mountainside, it doesn't look natural to me, or at least I haven't seen a rock like that. It looks like it's sinking to the ground. But the way you've done it is really great.

I'm no expert on mining, but I don't really understand the purpose of the big wheel there. If it's a millwheel, then it's the wrong way (it should be along the river so the water can run through it, not across) and it lacks the troughs that hold the water.

But these are of course just minor things that I spotted. All in all the creation is superb. :thumb-up:

I have a bit of a problem with the "eskewed" mountainside, it doesn't look natural to me, or at least I haven't seen a rock like that. It looks like it's sinking to the ground. But the way you've done it is really great.

Sandy, you've obviously not been to the western part of America. There are a lot of places where the "skewed" mountainside look like that. It happens where two of the tectonic plates meet in a subduction zone it pushes entire sections of land at an angle, creating the "skewed" effect.

Great job SlyOwl!

This is amazing, I was totally impressed before I saw the inside. The landscape is superb, and the interior excellent.

At first I thought this looked a bit grey and boring to be a SlyOwl creation, sure nice work on the cliffside, but overall, quite boring.

..and then I scrolled down and saw the interior, wow :wub: Lots of great details, think my favourite is the guy in the bed, nice touch :laugh:

Its amazing! How did you make the rocks lean to the side?

Edited by soman

I'm really diggin' (pun intended) the slanted rocks. How did you manage that? How are those round supports on the right held up? I think I can tell, but I'm not sure.

I also really like the hitching on the wagon and the surprised guys hat.

I'm not sure I like the curved hoses for the mine cart tracks, but it is an interesting idea. And I'm not sure what the guy at the far right with the chain is supposed to be doing.

Great work...

Steve

SlyOwl: as one Wild West fan to another, you've outdone yourself with this fantastic creation. I'm really enjoying your creation here. I think that no Wild West scene is complete without some sort of mine. When I first layed eyes on this mountain, I thought it was just the irregular shaped hill with the wagon on top (love the canvas top BTW, which works very well). But after seeing the inner mine, how fabulous! I really like how you used the railing pieces for the mine rails - great idea. They have that look that they've broken in one area, and continue toward the front left. The water wheel is top notch with the little mining cars. I think the crates make great mining cars and have used them as well in my Haunted Mine. All the additional details really look good, esp. the tile-made barrel, and all the figs in action.

This is an A+ creation. My only question is why you didn't add any blue plates/tiles for water? Even though; however, I love it! :wub:

(tips cowboy hat in honor of this marvelous creation)

OmiGod. I saw the "Like a rhinestone cowboy", and just had to click on it. Amazing MOC SlyOwl...there is just so much going on here. Very clever to have such an innocent looking outside, and then BAM! I'm a bit confused about the guy on the far left holding the chain...he must be getting ready to make his big move. Bravo, bravo! :wub:

Sandy, you've obviously not been to the western part of America. There are a lot of places where the "skewed" mountainside look like that. It happens where two of the tectonic plates meet in a subduction zone it pushes entire sections of land at an angle, creating the "skewed" effect.

You're absolutely correct. We only have the garden-variety upright rocks here in Finland. :laugh:

this absolutely amazing, detailed, well built, great, superbe!

you did a great job with teh rocks, and all the details on the inside. there is a great little story and lots of movement. the guy in bed is so funny!

Edited by fenris

What a most awesome creation you made! I love the rock formation. Very very nice. The inside of the mine is so full of action. Everytime I look at a pic I see something new!

Badboy

That's a very impressive Western MOC, SlyOwl! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

It looks very realistic, the minifigs fit very well and the details - mainly inside the mountain - are stunning! :oh:

The most I like the covered waggon - great!

Very, very well done! :thumbup::thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Great work as usual SlyOwl :wink:

I'm really impressed about the outside, the cliff is fantastic and all the bushes looks great. The inside is good too with a lot of excellent techniques but I have some problem understanding what's going on :wacko:

The bird cage is one of my favourite details, good thinking there. :thumbup:

This is one amazing MOC. I like the hanging skeleton and the way you created the poping hat on that guy with the surprised look.

Not sure whether you created the effect on purpose but it is really great the way the scene from the outside looks kind of calm but the scene inside is chaotic and so busy.

Thanks for sharing. A real eye-opener.

Holy crap this is great! Great scenery, lot's of inspiration you give me with this creation, love the action going on!

Interesting build on the rockformation, barrel and wheel! Definatly a 1 of a kind MOC, awesome!

Wow, that is jaw dropping. This should be a Indie Set, reminds me of the begining of the film where it shows indie as a kid.

Incredible MOC!!

Fantastic work, as usual, SlyOwl :thumbup: Clever and funny details and original buildings techniques, could we aks for more? My favourite detail is without doubt the guy in the bed looking around like: "Ah, no, all the mess again..." :tongue:

Amazing scenery...would like to have something like that at home in times of my childhood, to play with! :thumbup:

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! :wub:

I'm no expert on mining, but I don't really understand the purpose of the big wheel there. If it's a millwheel, then it's the wrong way (it should be along the river so the water can run through it, not across) and it lacks the troughs that hold the water.

There seems to be a degree of confusion about various aspects of the MOC. It started out as a desolate ghost-mining-town built into the mountainside, but then the inside of the mine was a more interesting concept. As such, the outside was intentionally bleak, but with the prospect of adding buildings which never came to be. Heck, the wagon itself was an afterthought - I'd planned to extend the rocks upwards into a mountain tip. The rock itself was inspired by what I can remember of seeing in Picnic at Hanging Rock (hence the hung skeleton), but I hadn't any particular rock formation in mind (although it is obviously skewed sedimentary :grin: ). The inside of the MOC was going to be a bandits' den (hence the bed, and bandits riding home with a prisoner), but, as usual with my MOCs, got out of hand, and I ended up with a POTC2 inspired action sequence - a runaway mill wheel with people fighting on top, dragging some mine carts which in turn are dragging the guy holding the chain. I had some trouble showing the motion, but the sparks from the minecart wheels and posing of the people on top were intended to show this. It looks better in real life, with more angles to see the otherwise obscured parts of the MOC.

That should about answer most of the questions :laugh:

That's awesomesauce SlyOwl! :thumbup: Who is that guy with the cape swinging from the ceiling? :laugh:

El Nombre! Only in human form. I've got a WIP of the real thing.

Its amazing! How did you make the rocks lean to the side?

It's a mixture of sloping pieces and what are essentially walls put on top of hinges, to slant them. The inside is packed with bricks and plates to stop them tilting on the hinges.

How are those round supports on the right held up? I think I can tell, but I'm not sure.

On the left, no? The top 2x2 round of the main pillar is upside-down (inverted using the barrels halfway down and a 6L bar), and has a wrench/spanner with the closed loop inserted into the technic axle hole. The triangular road signs clip onto the bottom of this, and a piece of flex tubing passes through the hole in the spanner and into the hole in the bottom of the 2x2 rounds which go off at angles.

This is an A+ creation. My only question is why you didn't add any blue plates/tiles for water? Even though; however, I love it! :wub:

(tips cowboy hat in honor of this marvelous creation)

For the sole reason that I didn't want to be seen to be repeating myself - there's so much in common between this and my dwarven rollercoaster that I mentally refused to take that extra step. I would have liked to have done, though :wink:

BTW, your various wild west MOCs were very influential in this - capturing the overall feel of a mine.

Not sure whether you created the effect on purpose but it is really great the way the scene from the outside looks kind of calm but the scene inside is chaotic and so busy.

This came about because I essentially abandoned the outside in favour of the inside. And because the outside was going to be barren anyway.

Looks very good. :thumbup::classic:

Much movement and action. The guy with the hat in the air is great.

The "eskewed" rockformation is great.

BTW, your various wild west MOCs were very influential in this - capturing the overall feel of a mine.

:sweet: There's no better compliment, from a great builder with a great creation such as this.