WesternOutlaw

Train Signs: Crossing & Signals

traintech1.jpg

traintips.jpg

trainsigns.jpg

Well hey there fellow train fans! It's Conductor Brickster with another interesting TRAIN TECH topic, this one dealing with Train Signs. "Train Signs"? you ask. Yes, train signs.

Many people spend a lot of time building their trains (perhaps even entering them in contests) and designing fancy layouts and towns; but one of the many forgotten details is the train sign. If you have a train running around your track right now, how many signs do you have? If the answer is NONE, don't feel bad, but realize that you are one of many builders that don't spend the little extra time designing train signs for their layout.

Some of us are fortunate enough to pick up a sign included within an old station set, but never get around to building one.

Take a look at some of the creative signs featured in the picture above.

Have you created a simple design for a rail road crossing?

Do you have any tips for aspiring train sign builders?

Care to share some train sign creativity with other train fans?

Discuss TRAIN SIGNS here.

Count here the signs I have:

k_-_control_panel_with_two_7862.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on pic to get a bigger one

I have 17 ones in my layout. 14 of them are working. With 12v it's not necessary to design one. I wish I could design mu own signals, but the 12v ones are looking very real already.

Some signals are just standing that I look at the backside of the lights. Very annoying If you look, when parking a train at that place. I made these (see pic below) just to let it look for real, but more practical for me controlling the trains.

k_-_signal_-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

And what to do when 4 tracks are next to eachother:

k_-_signal_-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

k_-_signal_-3.jpg_thumb.jpg

And this is also more pratical design:

k_-_signal_-4.jpg_thumb.jpg

It's not the best design ever, I know. It's more pratical and trying to look as real and original as possible.

Just like your layout Panda, your signs are impressive as well. Any simple 12V tips for building custom signs? I notice that 12V layouts have a lot of light signs (I believe they're part of a light set).

To AFOL12V: could you repost these pics? i would like to see some signals/crossings. i have a few, but pics always help. :)

(links removed by ThBrickster)

NOTE: this member has renamed his Brickshelf account removing all his images posted to EB.

The topic is perfect timing. I just completed my level crossing yesterday. Here are some pics. One regret is that I didn't have enough black disks. Just imagine the grey ones as black and that is how it should look in about a week.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was an old topic but these should go here anyways.

565.jpg

567.jpg

Edited by DHCP1121

My train signs and signals are here.

It took me 2 months to work out how to signal my new layout. Now I have to build the signal brackets!

I will include speed limits and other signs, according to how a real British railway looks. I expect these will use the clip-on signs, perhaps with stickers. This is different from my no-sticker policy for rolling stock because the signs are self-contained and there will be no stickers over brick joins.

Mark

The topic is perfect timing. I just completed my level crossing yesterday. Here are some pics. One regret is that I didn't have enough black disks. Just imagine the grey ones as black and that is how it should look in about a week.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was an old topic but these should go here anyways.

565.jpg

567.jpg

The lights on the crossing gates are awesome!

LovinLegoSince97: do you realize this is a two/three-year old topic? Generally, we try not to bump old topics unless there's something that you really want to add in terms of content. I'll give you a pass since you're new around these parts but please try not to bump really old topics just to say you like the MOC/build. Much appreciated.