ParallaxScroll

Who builds the LEGO-suggested ideas from the box ?

I guess some people do.

Here are the LEGO-suggested box ideas from 6780 Light & Sound XT Starship:

6780-06.jpg

See all 5 of them were built:

2h5mwsw.jpg2004ox5.jpg

2q34sh1.jpg

2i71etd.jpg14ch36x.jpg

The box ideas from 6783 Sonar Transmitting Cruiser were also built:

6783_e.jpg

169jjbs.jpg

2exygoz.jpg

103v31u.jpg

30waxc3.jpg

The ones for 6981 Gamma-V Laser Craft, too:

6891_boxus_back.jpg

2yu12bm.jpg

156a1xk.jpg

9h2gwl.jpg

I've been trying to build some of the box ideas of Classic Space sets. It's not easy for me, in fact it's downright difficult.

I started with something simple, the ones from 6927 All Terrain Vehicle......

6927_back.jpg

...Yet I failed, badly.

You know, it's really NOT easy without instructions. All one has are a few clues/cues to gleen from one picture for each idea/creation.

Obviously much of the specific build is hidden, therefore it takes a great deal of guess-work. Perhaps it's easier for others, and I just suck :cry_happy:

Anyway, lets discuss this subject, and/or just post your favorite Classic Space LEGO box-ideas, a subject I've been dying to post about.

Here's a beauty from Galaxy Explorer that I'd love to build:

2vskpj4.jpg

Also, I've always liked this one from 6951 Robot Command Center, IMO it's cooler than the main set itself:

2lxyxl1.jpg

Edited by ParallaxScroll

I occasionally build these box picture models, but most of them are pretty lousy. It was usually only the largest sets that actually had ones worth building.

That 4-wing XT Starship variant and the Galaxy Explorer one look nice enough though. Among space sets, I remember 6783 and 6957 had good ones, and the big walkers in 6986 and 6987 are great.

Ah, things I really miss:

The alternative models on the backs (and insides of the bigger sets) of the models.

Having parts with print on them...no stickers!

I've always been intrigued by the back-of-the-box models from Classic Space sets, as many of the designs are really cool. Seeing some of them brought to life by other AFOLs was awesome. But I never bothered, because it is very difficult without instructions. I've always wanted to build the Giant Space Chicken (or dragon, perhaps) that is an alternate model of the Cosmic Fleet Voyager (6985), but haven't tried. I am slowly building the DACTA Futuron set based on pictures, which isn't easy because it never had instructions!

I really wish TLG would go back to including alternate designs on boxes. The practice had its charm.

On 2010. 01. 04. at 5:08 PM, KDog said:

I've always been intrigued by the back-of-the-box models from Classic Space sets, as many of the designs are really cool. Seeing some of them brought to life by other AFOLs was awesome. But I never bothered, because it is very difficult without instructions. I've always wanted to build the Giant Space Chicken (or dragon, perhaps) that is an alternate model of the Cosmic Fleet Voyager (6985), but haven't tried. I am slowly building the DACTA Futuron set based on pictures, which isn't easy because it never had instructions!

I really wish TLG would go back to including alternate designs on boxes. The practice had its charm.

I see it's quite an old thread but still, I always build the back-of-the-box models from that era, and completely agree that TLG should bring them back. Unfortunately there is a little chance for that, as it won't pay off their efforts, and even some of the customers would complain about not getting full instructions for them, just the idea. Nowadays I am also about to make step-by-step instructions for my implementations.

Here are some: 6985-1; CS B1 models; CS B2 models; CS B3 models; CS B4 models; CS B5 models;

I also like to make my own alternates for nearly all of the sets, like this X-wing from the 6985-1 Cosmic Fleet Voyager:

8cf334e6f3968d1c423e742e50431b68.jpg?151

Ha yes ! Those alternative builds on the back of the boxes ! :laugh:

I systematically kept the boxes and tryed out some builds but many were not worth it...

Anyway, good idea to remember us those old alternate builds !

I have built a website dedicated to the back of the box builds. Looking for photos of boxes and people who like to make instructions, if anyone wants a challenge.