1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

I was looking at my storage, and spotted that I have not posted this review since last year. Now, I hope I can present this review to share with the Eurobricks Community. Hope you have enjoyed reading another town review. :blush:

The rest of my Shell Promotional series review, from 1999 are as followed,

1247: Patrol Car

1249: Tri-Bike

Today, I will be doing up the fifth item in the SHELL Promotional series in 1999. There are a total of eleven promotional sets which made up of six impulse sets and five medium sized sets. These promo sets were bought in 2000 from United States (California), when my family and I are on vacation. Unfortunately, these promo sets that I have are not complete.

Starting with this impulse set, is a dragster that is racing under the SHELL's sponsership in the race tracks. :sweet:

Name: Dragster

Theme: LEGO System / Town / Promotional / SHELL

Year: 1999

Pieces: 24

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD$1.70

Resources: Brickset, Peeron, BrickLink

An image of a 1250, Dragster

1~2.jpg

Dragster Craze

normal_2~3.jpg

He is a racer that drives the Dragster in high speed in the race prix, racing against Formula One and other famous race drivers all over the world. Looking at the color combination of its yellow, white and red is reflecting SHELL color combination which is used in its petrol stations across the globe. :wink:

Meet the racer

normal_3~2.jpg

Wearing a red helmet with black visors and a white collar shirt with a pocket. On his right chest, is his sponser company SHELL. This racer looks quite nice looking and can be a good addition into your town population or change him into a gas attendant for your SHELL petrol station. :devil:

I am not sure if the printing is done on purpose. I noticed that the pocket and logo seemed to be a little nearer to the waist instead of the chest. I wonder why.

Different views of the Dragster

normal_5~3.jpg

normal_4~3.jpg

I had never fond of this design at all. There is nothing much to talk about as you can see it quite clearly from the overhead. This dragster looks very amateur in my honest opnion. There is no engines installed on its back. Although it has a wing which can adjust upwards or downwards on its rear with the sticker "SHELL" pasted on it, but this is not enough to justify this set.

If there is a printed part at the front of the steering wheel such as SHELL logo, it defintely increase my ratings.

Race shall begins in 3 minutes time

normal_6~1.jpg

Lane 1: Formula One Mini-Race Car

Lane 2: SHELL Dragster

*Big Clang*

Oh my god, my opponent is Racer X.

normal_7~3.jpg

I am sorry. This is my lowest rating ever given in my entire review history so far. Get this set only for the minifig or if you have spare cash or to complete the entire promotional SHELL series which was launched in 1999. This dragster does not work well for me. :sadnew:

Maybe, other members could tell me how they feel about this set as well. Some of you may actually like it. :tongue:

Summary review

Playability: 4.5/10 (Another addition to your race cars collection)

Design: 3.5/10 (The dragster could look much better. The racer is the only shining star in this set)

Price: 7/10 (Get this set if you have spare cash despite of its affordable price)

Overall: 5/10 (It's nice to have if you want to complete the series. I can't find any other good points about it)

I gave it a "2" based on my Review Score Card. :sadnew: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Very nice review WhiteFang!

I must agree on the points you gave it. The vehicle is not beautiful and is very simply built ( not in a good-Classic-Town-simplicity way ).

The minifig's torso on the other hand is very vey nice!

Btw, -and forgive my question if sounds off- about the minifig's face, classic smily face with more thick lines and eyebrows???

Am I missing something here? :look:

Thanks again for the wonderful review!

Very nice review WhiteFang!

I must agree on the points you gave it. The vehicle is not beautiful and is very simply built ( not in a good-Classic-Town-simplicity way ).

The minifig's torso on the other hand is very vey nice!

Thanks for your kind words! I was wondering what the rest of you felt.

Btw, -and forgive my question if sounds off- about the minifig's face, classic smily face with more thick lines and eyebrows???

Am I missing something here? :look:

I am not familar with the LEGO Town sets back in the 1999, but this is the link to Peeron that used these headpiece. In fact, this is my only headpiece of this design in my collection.

I am not familar with the LEGO Town sets back in the 1999, but this is the link to Peeron that used these headpiece. In fact, this is my only headpiece of this design in my collection.

Thanks for the useful feedback and the link WF.

I was too lazy to do my own search I guess...I had just returned from the beach. :grin::blush:

My dark ages began around '94 that's why I didn't have a clue about that headpiece.

Great review. My opinion on this set is just average. As you said this set is only good for the fig.