traintech1.jpg

16-4511.jpg_thumb.jpg

Name: High Speed Train

Set No.: 4511

Theme: LEGO / SYSTEM / Trains / 9v / Train Set

Year: 2003

Pieces: 324

Minifigs: 3

Price (when it was in stores): USD 80,-$ (which equals about EUR 79,-€)

Price nowadays (2d hand): USD 120,-$ (which equals about EUR 100,-€)

Lets try to write a review of a 9v train. Before I write, lets see some pic's first.

a_-_great_shot_modified_4511.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on pic to get a bigger one

a_-_left_view_of_modified_4511.jpg_thumb.jpg

a_-_right_view_modified_4511.jpg_thumb.jpg

This set is the last elec 9v train form lego. When mine sources are correct, this model is based of a train from Japan. What is very different of this train, when you compare with other sets, is the color of this train. I guess this is the first white train form lego, with a little green stripe on it. It looks very fast and it has a great big window for the driver. On the wagon there's a little container, where luggage can be stored during the trip.

It's a complete trainset with a small station, a circle track and a speedregulator. You buy the set, build it up and let the fun begin. A great set to start a huge layout with, wasn't that lego decided to stop with elec 9v..........

I have to tell a little another story about this train. Personally, I love the white color of this train and bought this set for this reason. As a trainfan I missed the classic traindoors :cry_sad: . I wonder how lego had in mind in which way the minifigs had to get on or off this train. I decided to buy 2 white traindoors form bricklink and modify this set with these traindoors. That's why the train had to be raised with 1 brick. I also wanted an orginal set behind this train, so everyone can see what exactly I have done. Here you can see what exactly the difference is between the set of LEGO and mine version.

b_-_modified_and_or_original_4511.jpg_thumb.jpg

c_-_closer_view_of_modified_4511_-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Now let's see mine version a bit closer:

c_-_closer_view_of_modified_4511_-3.jpg_thumb.jpg

c_-_closer_view_of_modified_4511_-4.jpg_thumb.jpg

What does like the inside of the train looks like:

b_-_inner_view_of_both_versions.jpg_thumb.jpg

Like the 12v area, you can also make a second model of it:

d_-_second_models_of_4511.jpg_thumb.jpg

Playability: 8/10 (It has all pieces and parts to play and have fun.)

Design: 6/10 (A unknow model, which won't be recognised by many people)

Price: 7/10 (It has track and speedregulator with, so those 80 euro is good value for money at that time.)

Overall: 7/10 (Although model is unknown, it has a good look and you can play right away.)

I hope you like my review of this set, although mine modificated version was used for the pic's. I think this modificated version give a nice extra demension to this set. Although there are pictures that people have changed the green stripe for a red one, to give it the look of an europian high speed train. I guess when lego had used this red stripe instead of green one, it would sell even better.

A final pic where Darth Vader and his Sith Master want to get a ride with this train. It must be a special one, if those people want a travel with this train :tongue: :

c_-_closer_view_of_modified_4511_-4.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by AFOL12v

Thanks for the review Panda! This was my first LEGO train, and I'm a big fan of it. It was released waaaay too short, but with a few more cars it looks really cool! I have been lucky enough to see about 10 cars on this train on pe668's layout.

BTW, nice modifications.

I got this set as a Christmas present. Actually my family tried to give me 4512 Cargo Train but couldn't find it anywhere anymore. So they bought 4511 instead. I don't like this high speed train so much: no doors, big elements in the front section. Yet, I'm happy to own a copy.

By the way, Panda, did your 4511 come with old grey or bley bricks? Mine was with old gray, but I think that it was produced with bley elements later. What annoyed me tremendously was that sets 10157 High Speed Train Locomotive and 10158 High Speed Train Car came with bley bricks! I don't own 10158, but I have 10157. I bought all the grey bricks for 10157 in old grey and substituted the bley ones with them.

Thanks for the review, Panda! Nice that you added doors to your High Speed Train!

Edit: I voted below average.

Edited by legotrainfan

I was never a big fan of this High Speed Train, but always thought the colors were kind of nice (with the green stripe). Perhaps, I'm just not into the more modern trains, but I do think I like this better than the new RC ICE train.

For those of you into modern trains, is the cow catcher-like piece on the engine standard on these types of trains in real life? I always thought it looked a bit awkward.

If you have a look at most high speed trains, they do have a 'skirt'; but none the size of the Lego model. Take a look at this shot of the American Acela Express:

highspeedrail.jpg