Sign in to follow this  
Evil Willy

Custom ship...Lotus, The

OK so this is my main LEGO creation..And by far my most beautiful one. It has been made for nearly a year now but has undergone many large changes... I hope you like it..I sure do.

Complete view of the ship...

LotusFullview.jpg

A view of the front....

FrontOwl.jpg

Another angle from the front

LotusCornerfrontview.jpg

The side of the hull

LotusSideview.jpg

The railing and a cannon

LotusRailingwithcannon.jpg

The back

LotusBack.jpg

On deck!

InsideLotus.jpg

Atop

LotusTop.jpg

I hope you like my boat..Please comment(The sails are completly custom and make for a very piratey look...It is absolutley stunning when looking right at it....Mister Phes tell me u like it! Make me proud ;)

Excellent work Willy!

First I'll begin by looking at the sails... Or sail... What material is it made from?

I be wonderin, since you made your own sail are you going to add anymore? You don't seem to have a spinnaker or aft sail. Methinks if yer add those sails to it, yer vessel would have greater speed and manoeuvrability.

Excellent work Willy!

First I'll begin by looking at the sails... Or sail... What material is it made from?

I be wonderin, since you made your own sail are you going to add anymore? You don't seem to have a spinnaker or aft sail. Methinks if yer add those sails to it, yer vessel would have greater speed and manoeuvrability.

The sails are made from old Linen table clothes I found at my grandmothers house...They were plain white..They are dyed with cofee.... What is an aft sail is it the little sail in the front? the Triangle one? like in the front of caribean clipper? IF soo..I had tried making one and it didnt look soo good...Maybe ill give it another shot.

The sails are made from old Linen table clothes I found at my grandmothers house...They were plain white..They are dyed with cofee.... What is an aft sail is it the little sail in the front? the Triangle one? like in the front of caribean clipper? IF soo..I had tried making one and it didnt look soo good...Maybe ill give it another shot.

Granny's are very useful for providing old clothes. I got a bed sheet off one of my grannies for a graphic design assignment I did a couple of months back.

Coffee is a great stainer and much cheaper than the wood tints and varnishes found at hardware stores, although probably not as strong but when dying a white clothe its just perfect.

The aft sail is the sail near the stern (at the back) of a ship and the spinnaker is the triangular sale at the front. The Caribbean Clipper has a spinnaker but it really annoys me that it doesn't have an aft sail! The Caribbean Clipper needs an aft sail I tell you!

It's nice Willy. Making ships that look decent is more difficult that it seems, as I have found out before. Good work 'mate.

Willy, I've noticed there is no frontal shots of the captain or any shots that reveal his identity. Is this intentional? I always find it interesting when someone finds heads and torsos from other themes and plonk them together to create who new characters.

Back in the good old days the sets were better, but the mini-figure variety was severely lacking. I think one of the few good things LEGO has done in the past 10 years is bring greater diversification to the mini-figure heads and torsos.

The aft sail is the sail near the stern (at the back) of a ship and the spinnaker is the triangular sale at the front. [...]

Actually, that's the genoa. A spinnaker is "ahead" of the boat when sailing before the wind.

Genoa vs Spinnaker

By jobe Hobbes! You're correct! Actually I've never knew it as a Genoa Sail as its more commonly referred to as a jib. But to be more precise a Genona Sail is a type of jib. So there ya go...

By jobe Hobbes!  You're correct!  Actually I've never knew it as a Genoa Sail as its more commonly referred to as a jib.  But to be more precise a Genona Sail is a type of jib.  So there ya go...

I just found out and wanted to correct myself. But you can't beat a true pirate to it, now, can you? ;)

It is a jib, a fore-sail to be precise. It's attached to the stay and doesn't overlap the mast, whereas the genoa does... man, i should go sailing again, I'm rusty...

To tell u the truth mister phes I would much rather have a good set than great minifigs..But I have to say that the pirate minifigs were really nice..Like the imperial soldiers and guards...(The ones with shakos) Anyways to reveal my identity..................................

Atwork2.jpg

Aha but I have now purchased a cape..(Actually I made it) Which you can see in the boat pics on the side view!...Yes that is me..Evil Willy

Give me a moment the pictures are coming..I have been sighted somewhere..White, verry white..And pictures are being sent out of me..It is mine to think that I am in grave danger, my identity is ruined...

Evil-willy-good.jpg

Ahhhhhhh! I thought you meant you had already posted the picture of you wearing a cape. This explains everything!

I'm curious about the rigging that's attached to the aft mast. Why is it there as there are no sails on the mast? For what purpose would a sailor be required to climb up there?

An elaborate setup just to attach a flag! On most ships the flag is raised and drawn using a pulley system...

yes but the flag is maybe as heavy as a minifig in the lego world :-D

The canvas flags are much lighter hence why the Inquistion has always used them. That and the fact the traditional flags have clips which are notorious for breaking, which is quite annoying!

LotusBack.jpg

I think this is the best part of the ship - it looks really sinister, like a pirate ship should.

The rigging mentioned above looks really a bit out of place... Also the cannons located on the upper level (the bridge) look like they're just about to fall overboard, but that may just be my impression.

It does have a good feel to it doesnt it? Well the cannons are there because when I play Evil Stevies Pirate Game I need them...The more cannons the merrier ;) But you are right they do look they will fall in the water..I think I shall work o nthat as well as the afte sail which I am sortof working on now.

Thanks guys keep on reviewing!