It's good to see that people still have these instructions saved. I think I built that racer model a long time ago, when I first got the set. It looks familiar.

This is very cool, I only just recently bought an 8448 kit and found this thread searching for the alt instructions. I love the modular design of the 8448 and having all these extra models to build really adds depth to the kit, on top of choosing between the gull-wing or convertible design. It's an awesome building experience.

The RCX integration here looks pretty wild:

und640x480us0steeringstep14.jpg

Buying both the 8448+Mindstorms in 1999 would have been extravagantly expensive, I love it!. I have got to do that with mine, I assumed the only official motorization mod was the one in the manuals. using a single motor and 2 yellow liftarms to demo the gearbox. I wonder if all 3 of the mods (sensors, steering and twin motors) can be combined?. It would be badass to cram 4 motors in; 2 in front for steering plus drive, and 2 in back for extra drive power along with the RCX.

Edited by radiant7

If you combine the above with the RCX remote, you'd have the very first Lego RC car!

brickpicker_set_9738_1.jpg

This is very cool, I only just recently bought an 8448 kit and found this thread searching for the alt instructions. I love the modular design of the 8448 and having all these extra models to build really adds depth to the kit, on top of choosing between the gull-wing or convertible design. It's an awesome building experience.

The RCX integration here looks pretty wild:

und640x480us0steeringstep14.jpg

Buying both the 8448+Mindstorms in 1999 would have been extravagantly expensive, I love it!. I have got to do that with mine, I assumed the only official motorization mod was the one in the manuals. using a single motor and 2 yellow liftarms to demo the gearbox. I wonder if all 3 of the mods (sensors, steering and twin motors) can be combined?. It would be badass to cram 4 motors in; 2 in front for steering plus drive, and 2 in back for extra drive power along with the RCX.

Incredible. At the time I worked at Lego (in 1999) I tried to convince my fellow designers that there was an AFOL community out there that was doing really interesting stuff (and spending considerable amounts of money). One of the things I wanted to show them was this model. I had seen it somewhere on the net, but unfortunately at the time I couldn't find it again. And now, more than 16 years later it just pops up :wub: . And it is still as impressive as I thought it was.

They wouldn't take my word it :angry: and I think it took a couple of more years before TLG started to acknowledge their AFOL fan base.

Oh yes there is a community and we do spend a ton of money... I joke that my retirement plan is based on my brickpicker portfolio :grin:

This set (8448) reminds of an early (very positive) experience with Bricklink. I was going to build such vehicle from parts purchased individually. Yet, only one seller had the red bent liftarms in sufficient quantity, but nothing else that I needed. I placed my order and he declined as I had not met the minimum requirement ($50 or so). Naturally, I wrote back and apologized. Then, few days later, a package arrived with 40+ such liftarms (NEW) and a nice accompanying note. If you happen tobe here and reading this, you made my day back then, for such generosity is not common place.