indexed.gif

Set name: Millennium Falcon

Set number: 4504

Year of release: 2004

Price: USD 99,99

Parts: 985

Minifigures: 5

4504-1_millenium_falcon.jpg

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? She's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. She's fast enough for you, old man. ―Han to Obi-Wan Kenobi

Here’s my first review. And I @#$% just got beaten to it by Star_Wars_Rules.

I wanted to present this as a gift to the review academy. Congratulations with your first anniversary!

When I was searching for this review a few weeks ago I was astonished it wasn’t made. I wanted to know if this set was worth buying, being one of the most epic spacecraft from the Star Wars universe and (back than) not in my possession. Than again it was an easy choice to make as Star Wars fan.

Instruction front

4504_01_instruction_front.jpg

Instruction back

4504_02_instruction_back.jpg

Other pages

4504_03_instruction_page.jpg

4504_04_instruction_page.jpg

Random page

4504_05_instruction_random_page.jpg

Dreaded Sticker Sheet

4504_06_sticker_sheet.jpg

Lego’s description:

The fastest ship in the galaxy is back!

Han's battle-scarred cargo vessel has been modified according to his needs to be a fast, tough, smuggling vessel. Open the hull for access to the interior of the ship or to release the escape pod on board. Open the cockpit to let the pilot out and lower the gangway for the rest of the crew. Take off the hull plate and place a pilot in the seat for control of the movable gun turret. Includes Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C-3PO and a snowtrooper.

This was the second Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon which was released by TLC. It was a big improvement of 7190, which was released in 2000. The review on that can be found here, it’s done by ybeline.

Minifigures

4504_07_minifigures.jpg

Since this set displays the Empire Strikes Back it’s logical that Ben Kenobi and Luke are not included, but R2-D2 should have been. Also the C-3PO included is in pearl light gold.

Snowtrooper and gun

4504_99_snowtrooper_gun.jpg

Views:

Front

4504_08_front.jpg

Right

4504_09_right.jpg

Back

4504_10_back.jpg

Left

4504_11_left.jpg

Top, open

4504_12_top_open.jpg

Inside the Millennium Falcon

Back

4504_13_inside_back.jpg

Added to this set is the Hoth outfit from Han.

Front

4504_14_inside_front.jpg

4504_15_han-c3po.jpg

Han: “It’s not wise to upset a Wookiee.”

C-3PO: “but Sir, nobody’s worried about upsetting a droid.”

Han: “That’s cause a droid don’t pull peoples arms out of their sockets when they loose… Wookiees are known to do that.”

C-3PO: “I see your point sir… I suggest a new strategy R2; Let the Wookiee win

Special features:

Escape pod

Side

4504_16_escape-pod_side.jpg

4504_17_escape-pod_top.jpg

Top, inside

4504_18_escape-pod_inside.jpg

Boarding ramp

Side

4504_19_boarding_ramp.jpg

4504_20_han-chewie.jpg

“This entrance seems to be made for Jawa’s”

From inside

4504_21_inside_ramp.jpg

The ramp doesn’t always open by itself and sometimes needs a hand.

As for the design:

"She'll hold together. Hear me, baby? Hold together!"

―Han speaking of the Millennium Falcon

This quote definitely does count for the 4504, because it is fragile.

Some extra plates underneath would make the base of the ship better.

Landing gear

4504_22_landing_gear.jpg

Also the landing gear comes off easily and isn’t retractable.

Top plates

4504_23_plate.jpg

The ships top plates “open” when the ship is upside down.

Lasercanons

4504_24_lasercanons_top.jpg

Lasercanons, inside

4504_25_lasercanons_inside.jpg

Nice feature; minifigure inside to control the lasercanons.

There is no lasercanon underneath the Millennium Falcon.

Cockpit, closed

4504_26_cockpit_closed.jpg

Cockpit, open

4504_27_cockpit_open.jpg

The cockpit is a bit small for two minifigures

4504_28_han-chewie.jpg

“Erm, you should stop heavy-breathing in my neck” - Han to Chewie

Holes

4504_29_holes.jpg

There are some holes, like the ones in the latest AT-TE.

Secret compartment

4504_30_secret_compartment.jpg

Hyperdrive

4504_31_hyperdrive.jpg

Although a big improvement on the old set there is still a lot to make it even better. I’m not counting the USC Millennium Falcon as a set which can be compared to these to sets. If I would than the USC would most definitely win even though it has no interior (which can be modded) and is mend as a display model.

Also there’s no secret compartement to hold minifigures or smuggle contraband.

Han showing his Millennium Falcon

4504_32_han.jpg

Ratings:

Design: 4/5, there are some minor flaws but overall good.

Build: 4/5, very enjoyable.

Playability: 3/5, fragile so score is average.

Minifigures: 4/5, R2 is missing but otherwise good.

Price: 4/5, I’m not complaining on the price.

Overall: 4/5, a definite buy if you can get it.

Hope you enjoyed this review.

4504 Gallery

Edited by BoneyT

Thanks for the review :thumbup:. Back when it was available at standard price I wish I had bought this one.

You also wrote R2 should be included. Isn't his supposed to be a Hoth set? he went off with Luke didn't he? Also you wrote USC instead of UCS in some places.

Other than that a fine complete review with lots of good clear pictures.

Good review and a great set.

Easily modifiable and I used it as my sigfig`s personal ship, complete with custom "Republic Red" markings, for quite a while. Is currently back back in original Falcon livery though but interior is still customised.

Thanks for your comments.

You also wrote R2 should be included. Isn't his supposed to be a Hoth set? he went off with Luke didn't he? Also you wrote USC instead of UCS in some places.

Oops, you're absolutly right - I feel so ashamed right now :blush:

I think I was making the scene with Han and C-3PO (and R2-D2) when I wrote that down.

Easily modifiable and I used it as my sigfig`s personal ship, complete with custom "Republic Red" markings, for quite a while. Is currently back back in original Falcon livery though but interior is still customised.

Red markings? That sounds interesting... show us.

Edited by Future74

Good review! Lots of clear pics here :wub: This is an interesting set, definitely from my dark ages. I'm quite mixed about the roof of the ship. I think it'd be better with a removable plate, rather than a fanned out plates. But I'm sure creating a low sloped roof was a challenge for the designers. But, I like the look of this more than this year's mid-scale model.

And yeah, R2-D2 was too busy going to Dagobah to appear in this set :tongue:

Many thanks, Future!

Thanks for doing a review on my ideal Falcon. TLG only made four. 1st is well ugly. 2nd is this my ideal cheap, Falcon. 3rd UCS $$$ need I say more? The last is Midiscale. No figs! Great review! It looks like KimT's dream of having all SW sets reviewed could come true. Now I want one again!

I did notice a slight discrepancy as such with the seating of han and chewie in the cockpit. This is how mine sit.

100_1170.jpg

And overhead

100_1172.jpg

It appears as though your chewie is sitting directly behind han.

He is meant to sit one stud to the side and one stud back to han.

The best way to achieve this is to lower chewies left hand all the way down. Hans elbow sits just above chewies arm/hand.

Edited by Star_Wars_Rules

Weird: I just built this ship again today; spent hours modding the cockpit so Han and Chewie can sit side by side.

It's a great model, one of my favorites, and definitely the better of the minifig-scaled millenium falcons (MF MFs?) However, it has a few flaws: too many holes and woe betide anyone who tries to flip it upside down. Plus, the mandibles are too small. Anyone else find the long trans-blue tubing is too long?

Excellent review: a thorough tour of the ship, quality pics and like the movie quotes. :wub: the last pic of Han in front of the ship! Great work, thank you!

Thanks Def and JCC1004.

Yes, this is the Millennium Falcon I like the most for obvious reasons.

And I think this is the one they should have improved... and they still can... in the future.

It appears as though your chewie is sitting directly behind han.

I know Star_Wars_Rules, my picture was ment to exaggerate in a funny way the fact the cockpit is small :wink::laugh:

Weird: I just built this ship again today; spent hours modding the cockpit so Han and Chewie can sit side by side.

Thanks Rufus. There are lots of features that just scream "MOD me" in this set.

Edited by Future74

Thanks Def and JCC1004.

Yes, this is the Millennium Falcon I like the most for obvious reasons.

And I think this is the one they should have improved... and they still can... in the future.

I know Star_Wars_Rules, my picture was ment to exaggerate in a funny way the fact the cockpit is small :wink::laugh:

Thanks Rufus. There are lots of features that just scream "MOD me" in this set.

Ok. Also I noticed you didn't use the stickers. Why is that?

Ok. Also I noticed you didn't use the stickers. Why is that?

Normally I apply them almost immediatly... so I guess this was the exception to rule. :grin:

I know there are collectors that dont apply the stickers but their reasons are unknown to me.

Thanks for a great review on a set that I have often thought about purchasing (or wishing TLC would re-release) Some nice features on this version and great photography. Cheers

Someone voted Poor? What? This is one of the best SW Lego sets ever released. It's not the most accurate, or detailed. But it's the perfect balance between accuracy/playability/price etc. I picked this baby up on sale for $100 AUD back in the day and it's still one of my favourites. It's not perfect. As others have noticed, there are 'holes' inside the ship that are unsightly, the cockpit is too large while the mandibles too small but that's what MOCs are for. I still think this was an amazing set to both display and play around with.

Reading this review, even though 5 years later of a reply added to this review topic. I find 4504 is something worth getting if found at a reasonable price nowadays in older Lego sets. There is something about Lego Star Wars sets of 2003/2004 kind of interesting, especially the transition and mixture of yellow and "flesh" minifigures in the Star Wars range and other TLG licensed sets of the time.

Great review

Edited by AudiBobaR5-D2

Great review Future74,

I think the 4504 is quite nice - it has the most accurate mandible angles of all LEGO Falcons, IMO.

I never owned the 4504, only the 7965. I did buy a bunch of 4504 parts to MOC the 7965 into something closer to the film Falcon than either of them.

Here is a pic comparing 4504, 7965 and an old version of my MOC.

14920730756_512b7634a3_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...57646134810358/

I don't know which TLG Falcon is my favorite - they all have good and bad features. If you don't have any, I'd say get a cheap 4509 and 7965 (incomplete/sans minifgs) from Bricklink and build your own ultimate Falcon with the parts :thumbup:

My favorite part from the 4504 is definitely the printed chessboard.

Edited by ummester

Of all of the Falcons, if I had to pick one, this is probably the one I'd pick. It manages to capture the shape of the Falcon, without the blockieness of the first one(yes, I know that in the other thread I said I prefer blockieness, but the first "Falcon" wasn't even shaped like the Falcon).

I also like that the color scheme isn't the monotones of the 7965. Maybe it's just the TOR in me speaking, but I prefer a few pleasant and fitting accents to plain bley and black.

Other than the cockpit, I think 4504 is closer to the right shape than the UCS one, Lind.

Agreed - when I said original, I was referring to the 7190, not the 4504. The 4504 is a work of art, the 7190...not so much:

millennium-falcon-7190.jpg