Stauder

Question: EP3 Clone Trooper helmets?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Has anyone noticed that the EP3 Clone Trooper helmets came in two different molds?

35mjvkj.jpg

107thyw.jpg

4v2umv.jpg

Look at the bulge on the back of the helm. Two helmets I got with the AT-AP, are missing that bulge, yet on bricklink they are listed as the same part. What gives?

EDIT - I have been looking for a picture online to no avail, so I guess I have to take a photo.

EDIT 2 - Photo up.

EDIT 3 - The yellow Clone is a WIP, ignore him.

Stauder.

Edited by KimT

Well, the bulge is definitely supposed to be their, as that's how the helmets are meant to be shaped...

All of these helmets came in the same set or same kind of set? Or did the missing-bulge shock trooper come from the AT- whatever it was with the three legs? :tongue:

Edited by Darth Legolas

The one with the bulge is from the Battle Packs, the ones missing it where both from the AT-AP (yeah the 3 legged thing), but after looking at pictures from reviews, the others had their helmets with the bulges.

Stauder.

The one with the bulge is from the Battle Packs, the ones missing it where both from the AT-AP (yeah the 3 legged thing), but after looking at pictures from reviews, the others had their helmets with the bulges.

Stauder.

Well, that narrows it down, the fluke is in the AT-AP. I think what probably happened , well, more like possibly happened is that a Lego overseer noticed bulges on the helmets and thought they were a misprint, long after the first helmets came out, and got rid of them.

Okay, so it's not likely at all. More like TLG thought no one would notice and did it to conserve plastic! :tongue:

OFF TOPIC: Would it be too much trouble to ask how you accomplished the amazing feat of moving the helmet's fin? I've seen tons of them, but how do you do it? Do you need clay and knives?

Edited by Darth Legolas

Save half a gram of plastic by making a brand new mold, which would cost thousands? I've asked Shadows, and he checked some of his Troops, all have the bulge. I can't be the only one without! I mean if there was a mold, somone else is bound to have em!

Off Topic - Carve it off with a sharp knife, then sand it down, with smoother and smoother sandpaper, till it's all smooth. EDIT - A buffing block helps.

Stauder.

Edited by Stauder

My shock troopers from that set both have the bulge. Just out of curiosity did you get your set quite early after it was released or late? I thought it was quite interesting that both troopers were missing it.

Failing to remember when it was released, I'm going to say that I bought it last year, July-August. Don't remember exactly, and yes it is quite odd that both are missing the bulge.

A curiosity I noticed, after further analysis is that inside (where the stud from the head slots in) the "Normal" Helmets, is written LEGO and under it the batch number, while the "Bulgless" only have © and under the batch number.  :look: They where both sealed inside the plastic bags when I bought the set, and the set was unopened.

Stauder.

I believe the set was released in January of 08 so not really that early. I was thinking that possibly some of the early batch could have got dodgy parts but guess I'm wrong.

Yeah, well that leaves that out. ImperialShadows went trough pictures of all sorts of clones, with various prints, all had the bulge. Also with the © inside instead of LEGO, it makes me suspect it was some early prototype, is there anyone here on EB that can confirm this or shed light on the subject?

Stauder

Maybe just mismolded. If that's the case, you're lucky that the error is so small :sceptic:

If it was a mis-mold why would there be two identical parts, and why would it look designed that way?

Stauder.

it's too perfect to be a mistake.

My AT-AP has the same clone troopers that are in the battle pack. Maybe one of the molds wasn't working right. I think that this should be discussed in the misprints topic.

Stauder you sure have a good eye to notice that little difference.

Mmm, I am certain it's not a misprint (but iv'e posted it in the misprint topic none the less), as I have two of them and they are identical, exept the batch number varies. I would bet my money on them being designed that way, what their original purpose (prototypes? Print tests?) and how they got in my AT-AP tough, is a mystery.

Stauder.

My battle pack and AT-AP shock troopers have the same helmets as well. I'll look through my other clones later, but it looks like you have a neat little variation there Stauder!

Interisting helmets. :classic:

I didn't get the AT-AP but got the battle pack and my one has a bulge.

It is to perfect to be a mold mistake, I think.

I actually quite like it without the bulge :laugh: its a nice change :laugh:

CommanderFox

I checked and I have none. They should be there because Clones actually have bulges. :laugh:

Since you seem to work at TLC, and know it's inner workings, mind going down to this topicand seeing if you can help?

Stauder.

Hi, that looks strange, as I see in the topic that the helmet is rather new, came in 2008 ?

Can you read the mould and cavity no. at the "tube" inside the helmet ? It should say 4-1 or something similar.

It must be from two different moulds for sure. Remember though that there are a lot of cavities in a mould for small pieces like this.

So you may find parts from mould number one saying: 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc.

It is very possible that the one without the bulge was made early, and that the mould have been added the bulge afterwards. Remember that something sticking out on a part, means that you have to remove metal in the mould, so that you can just mill it away on a mould. Much more difficult to make a hole in a part, as that means you have to add material to the mould.

Front

It appears that it was indeed some prototype/test variant. Anyone with a huge EP3 Clone army care to check his clones?

Stauder.

Mine isn't huge 30 or so but all have the lump on the back. These include, standard, Shock, Star Corps, Pilot etc.

Edited by Skipper 24

Off Topic - Carve it off with a sharp knife, then sand it down, with smoother and smoother sandpaper, till it's all smooth. EDIT - A buffing block helps.

Stauder.

You know one of those things you use too pedicure your nails will have an equal effect. It's probably easier.

sorry to bring it up again.

Off Topic: Infact that is what I used. They are called Nail Files, for the record.

Stauder.

Hi, that looks strange, as I see in the topic that the helmet is rather new, came in 2008 ?

Can you read the mould and cavity no. at the "tube" inside the helmet ? It should say 4-1 or something similar.

It must be from two different moulds for sure. Remember though that there are a lot of cavities in a mould for small pieces like this.

So you may find parts from mould number one saying: 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc.

It is very possible that the one without the bulge was made early, and that the mould have been added the bulge afterwards. Remember that something sticking out on a part, means that you have to remove metal in the mould, so that you can just mill it away on a mould. Much more difficult to make a hole in a part, as that means you have to add material to the mould.

Front

It appears that it was indeed some prototype/test variant. Anyone with a huge EP3 Clone army care to check his clones?

Stauder.

I'll check mine tonight, I bought at least 7 of those battle packs.