Any luck yet in receiving the 8041?

Did you made any pictures already?

It didn't arrive, the snow in England has grinder everything to a halt, the councils can't cope with dealing with weather like that! Hopefully tomorrow....

Just saw at the LEGO S@H webshop that my copy of the 8041 is "shipped". Seems kind of strange to me, because when i made the order it was on backorder for january 30th.

Let's just wait and see!

That is epic, so excited about getting my hands on that and the new Off-Road Mobile Crane. As this image has appeared, do you think that same book will have images of the Mobile Crane too?

I will hopefully get my new sets tomorrow, they have been delayed due to the crazy weather in the UK. I got this on my tracking:

01/07/2010 07:30 Weather or Natural Disaster Related COVENTRY SERVICE CENTRE

That is epic, so excited about getting my hands on that and the new Off-Road Mobile Crane. As this image has appeared, do you think that same book will have images of the Mobile Crane too?

I asked this question to the person that supplied me the pic of the excavator.

Now, I'm waiting for his answer. :classic:

Excellent, maybe we will get the image then!

Looking at the remotes for the Excavator, one of the sticks is coloured red; do you think this could be used for a motor to switch a driving ring? So it's coloured red to match the driving ring colour. It would kinda make sense.

I hope this drives (like 8275) as well as having full rotation on the main part, that would be amazing :)

Looking at the remotes for the Excavator, one of the sticks is coloured red; do you think this could be used for a motor to switch a driving ring? So it's coloured red to match the driving ring colour. It would kinda make sense.

That is probably right, as you are not the only one mentioning this.

@ Tomacwhite : Here is what I wrote on TB's :

With the red lever, I also think there is a gearbox. But IMO, it is not 1+2x3.

I think :

-1 M to switch two functions (the gearbox)

-2 M to motorize the tracks

or

-2 M to move the arm, like 8294. Indeed, there is no axis that comes to the 4th LA, and this 4th LA really seems to be linked to the 3rd LA with thin liftarms.

-1 M to rotate the structure, all the time. Actually, it is unthinkable to can't move the structure when we are moving the arm

So, my theory is : 1+2x2+1.

Edited by Anio

@ Tomacwhite : Here is what I wrote on TB's :

I think it needs a XL motor to power those 2 actuators.

1 m motor already had trouble to use 1 actuator when it need to lift.

And it the picture, the 2 actuators are increased in speed, and less torque, so it almost needs a xl motor.( i hope)

Edited by SuperCow

That image clears up some things. I think it's obvious that the red switch is used to operate a function switcher. The only question is whether it uses the red transmission rings or something closer to the 8082/8865 mechanism. If the model can move each set of tracks independently, which is almost certainly the case, then the drive motors will probably have to be in the base. That would only leave one motor for the four remaining functions, for which I don't see how the transmission rings will work.

TechnicBricks makes an interesting point about the parallel LAs. It looks like they won't work the way they are built. A possible explanation is that it is just a building error in the preliminary image, which we have seen before many times.

Fantastic picture!! This answers several of the open questions we had about this model:

• The remote is obviously made of two of the existing IR remotes.
  • The red knob on one channel of the remote leads me to believe that it is used to change functions using one of the red driving rings. My guess is that the other three are used to control the dipper in one mode, and in another mode they are used to drive the model.
  • The treads are obviously motorized given the gear systems which are visible on the carrier.

I'm very excited about this. While I generally prefer pneumatics to linear actuators, the fact that there are 4 LA's and driven treads means there will be a LOT of gear systems which are technical heaven. Add to that the fact that two of the gear systems have to pass across the lifting axis of the boom to drive the LA's and I think this is going to be a marvelous set indeed.

TechnicBricks makes an interesting point about the parallel LAs. It looks like they won't work the way they are built. A possible explanation is that it is just a building error in the preliminary image, which we have seen before many times.

I noticed the same thing. Looks like one is driven backwards. That is likely a computer generated image and the model is probably just not build correctly.

Most likely it's those new gears that have a smooth hole rather than a "+" shaped hole.

I can see one gear between the two LAs. I first thought there were three but the other two are just the "R" in preliminary.

Can't see any drive to the LA operating the bucket. It's probably a fault in the picture, like the wrong kind of 20t thin bevel gear being used below the two LAs. Is it possible they would use an LA just for decoration? They should have used pneumatics anyway :grin:

If the Euro proces are correct, updated exchange rates

Lego Technic Motor Bike 8051 - €39.99 / $58.99 / £36.99

Lego Technic Container Truck 8052 - €60.99 / $88.99 / £54.99

Lego Technic Rough Terrain Crane 8053 - €99.99 / $149.99 / £90.99

Lego Technic Excavator 8043 - €164.99 / $239.99 / £149.99

If the rough terrain crane price is correct it looks like it will be a much bigger set that I thought.

Edited by Smithy

If the Euro proces are correct, updated exchange rates

Lego Technic Motor Bike 8051 - €39.99 / $58.99 / £36.99

Lego Technic Container Truck 8052 - €60.99 / $88.99 / £54.99

Lego Technic Rough Terrain Crane 8053 - €99.99 / $149.99 / £90.99

Lego Technic Excavator 8043 - €164.99 / $239.99 / £149.99

If the rough terrain crane price is correct it looks like it will be a much bigger set that I thought.

TLG do not use these exchange rate.

Many of youre price euro prices are wrong. Sure. :wink:

TLG do not use these exchange rate.

Many of youre price euro prices are wrong. Sure. :wink:

i thought so too. i'd expect US price to be lower than exchange rate that you used.

post-9158-1264071863.jpgHope this is not a repost. Its a tiny picture of the new 8053 mobile crane i think. I'm sure you will have seen it at brickapedia. It appeared there 4 days ago.

So I guess the mobile crane piece count is around 1000-1100 judging by previous releases in the same price range. I wonder how much the 8421 with almost 1900 pieces and electronics would cost if it was released today. 200 euro?

So I guess the mobile crane piece count is around 1000-1100 judging by previous releases in the same price range. I wonder how much the 8421 with almost 1900 pieces and electronics would cost if it was released today. 200 euro?

I guess about the same as the 8258.

post-9158-1264071863.jpgHope this is not a repost. Its a tiny picture of the new 8053 mobile crane i think. I'm sure you will have seen it at brickapedia. It appeared there 4 days ago.

woah! i am in! :thumbup:

Heres a few pics from the 2010 Toronto Toy fair of the upcoming summer wave (credit to Kris Abel Blog).

Aside from the crappy displays (which seem to get worse each year at the Toy Fair) this at least gives us a good look at these sets. I think its safe to say these sets are still prototypes and will undergo some changes before the final models...hopefully. I must applaud lego, for the styling and aesthetics seem to get better each year.

The 8051 Motorbike has a very interesting engine setup, where the rods are longer than usual...but I don't like the fact the pistons aren't clearly visible to see.

The 8052 Container Truck is meh...similar look to 8292 cherry picker, the color blue!, and it has a very interesting function (I think there may be a drive ring in this set).

8053 Mobile Crane...nothing we haven't seen done already, but those outriggers and wheels are nice features.

And lastly, the 8043 Excavator...another flaghsip that doesn't have the most pieces of the year, and it still seems its internal setup is not clear to us.

8043set-1.jpg

8043set-2.jpg

8051box.jpg

8051set.jpg

8052box.jpg

8053box.jpg

Edited by LordGalewind

The motorized excavator looks fantastic :wub:

Glad to see that it will be fully mobile and have great boom/arm control as well.

The other sets look pretty solid as well, though unlike the excavator they won't be 'must haves' for me.

Edited by ZO6