Greetings to everyone. I still haven't managed to get time to do my review of the full 8258 set, but I figured I could at least offer my thoughts on the B-model. This is not really a proper review since I am not going to rate a B-model, but I'll at least show you some pictures and tell you how it works.

dsc_0767.jpg

The B-model must be built from downloaded PDF instructions. I put my laptop on the table and viewed them in Full Screen mode. It worked very well. Here are the parts prior to build: (this picture is actually from my build of the main model)

dsc_0609small.jpg

The truck is very big and looks great, but not have a lot of function considering it's size.

dsc_0753.jpg

Here is the winch, V-8 engine, and opening hood:

dsc_0754.jpg

From the back you can see the opening door and the hitch. The steering control is behind the cab.

dsc_0756.jpg

From the bottom you can see the differential.

dsc_0757.jpg

For size comparison, here it is with 8858.

dsc_0759.jpg

Now we'll look at the trailer. I have never seen such a contraption in real life, but at least they made something cool with all of those crane parts. The trailer is motorized with 3 functions as well as manual outriggers which actually lock over center!

dsc_0758.jpg

This picture taken during the build shows the functions which I have color coded. Yellow is the motor input which splits out to the transmission to control various functions. Green controls the turntable rotation through a worm gear. Red drives the concentric clutch gears which will later pass through the turntable and drive the upper linear actuator. Blue is centered in the turntable and drives the lower linear actuator.

dsc_0746.jpg

Now the turntable is attached. You can see the dual concentric functions in the middle. The clutch gears spin freely on the central axle and have a driving ring between.

dsc_0747.jpg

With the beginnings of the crane built you can see the two separate functions.

dsc_0749.jpg

Here is the completed drive of the lower linear actuator which lifts the boom.

dsc_0765.jpg

This color coded image shows the drive path of the upper actuator which telescopes the platform.

dsc_0764.jpg

I was surprised to see that the angle of the lower boom is not fixed. The links make up a mechanism which can be adjusted to the two positions shown. One works well for stowage and the other allows the platform to reach the ground so someone can board it.

dsc_0761.jpg

dsc_0762.jpg

Here are the outriggers.

dsc_0748.jpg

Finally, here it is next to the personnel lift for scale.

dsc_0760.jpg

All in all, I'd have to say that this is an excellent alternate model. It was good enough to convince me to buy an extra copy just for this. After the build, there are still 444 parts left over which went into my spare parts collection and will fuel another MOC!

Edited by Blakbird

Despite I like the main model a lot, I find this B-model absolutely great!

Believe it could be one of the greatest B-models that we have ever seen within TECHNIC sets. :thumbup:

Thanks for the pictures and comments, Eric!

Thanks for the nice review. :classic:

It's been a loooong time we hadn't seen such a great B-model.

Edited by Anio

Love this B-Model!

Great use of almost all of the essential parts of the A-model.

But is it so hard to make the steeringwheel actually work?

post-6911-1251402723.jpg

HOG-steering is a great alternative but I kind of miss that.

post-6911-1251404278.jpg

A good alternative would be something like the way it's done in the 8466.

Any ideas on this?

By the way: great pictures Eric!

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Thanks for the review! I love the appearance of the truck and the lift is genious!

Now we'll look at the trailer. I have never seen such a contraption in real life, but at least they made something cool with all of those crane parts. The trailer is motorized with 3 functions as well as manual outriggers which actually lock over center!

Well, it is quite a good example of an actual cherry picker-trailer:

Aanhangwagen%20hoogwerker%201.jpg

Nice review Blakbird :classic:

I'm going to pore over those pictures again and see how they have two functions pass through a rotating turntable. Is the rotation of the turntable limited?

It looks like it works the same as the Cherry Picker did, which was pretty clever. I'll dig out some pics that others users took on here...

3730237742_b3a6d165e0_o.jpg

3730237538_ef63305b97_o.jpg

Thanks, Z06 :)

Edited by tomacwhite

This looks quite nice as far as alternate models go. I like the appearance of the pickup, although the front wheel axles need to be shorter. The trailer kind of reminds me of the 8094 crane and would make a nice standalone model in itself.

It looks like it works the same as the Cherry Picker did, which was pretty clever. I'll dig out some pics that others users took on here...

It's more sophisticated than the Cherry Picker's mechanism since it has two independent geartrains in there. The dark gray gears can be controlled separately from the central axle. A similar mechanism using the type 2 differential has been used by MOCers for many years, but this is the first official set to use it.

A good alternative would be something like the way it's done in the 8466.

Any ideas on this?

Was that the last set to have it? It was common in the late 1990s to have working cab steering wheels, but I actually can't think of any recent sets that do it.

Was that the last set to have it? It was common in the late 1990s to have working cab steering wheels, but I actually can't think of any recent sets that do it.

Guess so....

But let's ask Blakbird!

Latest models with Hog AND steering wheel :

1997 : 8437, 8459, 8479

1998 : 8428

2001 : 8466

Very nice! :sweet: It is a very nice B-Model; the last one that I felt motivated to make (and did) was the 8285 Tow Truck. I might have to try and make a functional version of that trailer.

Latest models with Hog AND steering wheel :

1997 : 8437, 8459, 8479

1998 : 8428

2001 : 8466

the 8674 in 2006 had it -- working steering wheel only, no HOG -- a TLG anomily thanks to NK.

Thanks, Z06 :)

Thanks, I have figured it out now. Clever stuff. It highlights some of the important differences between the pneumatics and the LAs. With pneumatics you would be able to have many more cylinders, but even with only one cylinder I don't think continuous turntable rotation would be possible.

Thanks, I have figured it out now. Clever stuff. It highlights some of the important differences between the pneumatics and the LAs. With pneumatics you would be able to have many more cylinders, but even with only one cylinder I don't think continuous turntable rotation would be possible.

Indeed. The LAs have some advantages, and the pneumatics have some too. Even so, it's more a part limitation than a method limitation. It would be possible to make a new part that would allow infinite pneumatics rotation; afterall many RADARs turn constantly and waveguides have a much more complicated design than a air hose!

I can't see TLG making one now though... :cry_sad:

Well, it is quite a good example of an actual cherry picker-trailer:

Aanhangwagen%20hoogwerker%201.jpg

The world is full of coincidences. I had never seen one of these trailers until you posted a picture. Then, the very same day you posted, I saw one just liked this parked only a block from my house.

This is a great review of the B model and a great B model it is,which is why I am buying a second set to build it and it will be made RC.

I do not like sets, I like separate parts more, to create something unique, but both A and B models are very nice. I think I like them!

It's indeed one of the greatest B models I think.

I have made some modifications for it. Now it has an extra white slipear for the bottom LA ( wich is a little safer )

Bottomview.

Topview.

It's indeed one of the greatest B models I think.

I have made some modifications for it. Now it has an extra white slipear for the bottom LA ( wich is a little safer )

Bottomview.

Topview.

That's great !

Do you only use the parts of the 8258 ?

Great B-Model. This will surely motivate me to do both models. Usually I don't build the B-Models at all. But in this case...