Sign in to follow this  
Commander Flash

Do You Keep Your Sets Sealed?

I don't buy current sets and keep them sealed, but I'll share an fun accident related to this.

The other day, brickset had photos of a set that I had completely forgotten about. It was the police headquarters, 370-1 from the mid-late 70s. I had that set and knew I still had my original legos in the basement. I was fortunate enough to find what I think is probably 90% of the original set I had way back when, including the baseplate. I also found some of the older style legos that were from my older brother (plastic-y colors, bottoms are different, lego people are huge with big round heads. Also found an idea book from the mid-80s with some of the stickers left. I remember totally being into Lego, but they really cool space sets and castle sets were just too expensive to justify at the time.

Anyway, this big bag of legos from the 70s and 80s, I find this:

web.jpg

I know it's not really worth anything $$-wise, and it's kind of cool to have it after all these years. Turns out up until a few years ago, it was stuck in my mom's desk with a bunch of old school photos, papers, etc...it had just never been given to me for whatever reason.

Anyway: the dilemma of it is, open or leave sealed????

-John

Edited by wooten

I don't buy current sets and keep them sealed, but I'll share an fun accident related to this.

The other day, brickset had photos of a set that I had completely forgotten about. It was the police headquarters, 370-1 from the mid-late 70s. I had that set and knew I still had my original legos in the basement. I was fortunate enough to find what I think is probably 90% of the original set I had way back when, including the baseplate. I also found some of the older style legos that were from my older brother (plastic-y colors, bottoms are different, lego people are huge with big round heads. Also found an idea book from the mid-80s with some of the stickers left. I remember totally being into Lego, but they really cool space sets and castle sets were just too expensive to justify at the time.

Anyway, this big bag of legos from the 70s and 80s, I find this:

web.jpg

I know it's not really worth anything $$-wise, and it's kind of cool to have it after all these years. Turns out up until a few years ago, it was stuck in my mom's desk with a bunch of old school photos, papers, etc...it had just never been given to me for whatever reason.

Anyway: the dilemma of it is, open or leave sealed????

-John

That isn't worth much at all if you open it, maybe $7.00 or so) I'd keep it sealed. Here are some for sale on bricklink wooten... 1901 Price On Bricklink This topic is mainly about star wars sets but even though thank you for sharing.

That isn't worth much at all if you open it, maybe $7.00 or so) I'd keep it sealed. Here are some for sale on bricklink wooten... 1901 Price On Bricklink This topic is mainly about star wars sets but even though thank you for sharing.

Thanks, yeah, I understand it's a Star Wars thread. I primarily collect Lego Star Wars, but when talking of sealed sets I thought I'd share my story. People are talking about how difficult it is or isn't to keep a set sealed...figured I'd show one that had been kept sealed for 25 years!

there's one of these on ebay for like 99 cents, fwiw.

-John

Thanks, yeah, I understand it's a Star Wars thread. I primarily collect Lego Star Wars, but when talking of sealed sets I thought I'd share my story. People are talking about how difficult it is or isn't to keep a set sealed...figured I'd show one that had been kept sealed for 25 years!

there's one of these on ebay for like 99 cents, fwiw.

-John

It is a very interesting set. I saw that one on ebay just a few minutes ago. Prices tend to really shoot up in the last minute though so it is worth much more than $1.

I forgot to mention... welcome to eurobricks. You might want to give yourself a introduction in this forum Hello! My name is... Enjoy your stay :classic:

Edited by Rocky

I never keep my sets sealed. The best example I can think of is last Christmas, when I received the AT-AP Walker. I'd built the set and there was still a large pile of unopened presents under the tree! :classic:

I always open 'em. I have Home One, Dooku's Solar Sailer and the Separatist Spider Droid all sat here MISB, waiting to be opened... it's only a matter of time! I build, MOD and of course MOC so that's no surprise really.

I'm also definitely a collector: I have a very large collection of LEGO displayed just about anywhere I can... at home and in work! The sets are built and displayed, stand alone and in 'scenes'.

Well I am quite fond of my MISB minifig packs and I've not considered opening them.

Why would I?...

I quite like organising multiple minifigs such as clone troopers, stormies and snowies into squads or armies for display together - they look great like that! Dark bley 16 x 16 baseplates are perfect for it and saves space too :wink:

Anyway, this big bag of legos from the 70s and 80s, I find this...

...the dilemma of it is, open or leave sealed????

Great little story Wooten - wish my Mum would find some LEGO loot hidden somewhere too! You be as well keeping it sealed methinks.

With the smaller sets I like to get keep an un-opened version. It just looks and feels better having an un-open set. With the bigger sets I just have to open them as the main reason I collect LEGO is to build the ever changing and interesting very well designed with great litttle men inside sets.

Some of the box art on sets are very visually attractive. So I try to keep a flat version of the box to save space. I don't think I could ever not open a box if is was the only box of that set I had. There is nothing like getting a brand new set and building in one sitting.

For 98% of the sets I buy, they are bought to be opened and built and fiddled with and photographed and ultimately dismantled -- until the itch to build that set comes up again . However, some sets I do pick up for resale (esp. during the after-Christmas sales or when certain sets go on clearance); these I will keep sealed.

Occassionally, I'll purchase a set, never get around to building it, and now I don't want to open it because of its value. This is what happened with my Jabba's Sail Barge.

I open them. The exception, for now, is the promo sets given away with the British newspapers a week or two ago. I got so many that I still have a box with a load of sealed bags. I'm not hoarding them for value or collection or anything, but I figure if I'm bored, I'll dig one out and build something. But aside from that, I open stuff the minute I get it inside the house.

I've got a Tantive, 2 AT-TE Walkers, a Republic Attack Gunship, the AT-OT and Dropship, 3 Battle of Endors and the Republic Attack Crusier, among other things, all still in their boxes.

I kind of want to open them up and build them, at the moment I haven't got the spare time, but part of me wants to keep them pristine.

I will definetly keep one of the AT-TE Walkers and two of the Battle of Endor sets in the boxes for 5-10 years. I'm hoping for some sales after Christmas to try and get some more Republic Attack Gunships.

On a side note, I also collect modern Matchbox cars. There is also much debate as to whether to keep the models in the boxes or remove them for display.

It's an interesting one, but 'displaying' boxes of unopened Lego doesn't really work...